Real world oto experience

DaveO

I am setting up a tank that will be heated only by the ambient air of the house. We went through the recent cold snap and the tank temp went down to 70°.

My question to you is, 'in your personal experience' what is the lowest temp that otocinclus  will be healthy? I am not interested in video suggestions or internet wisdom. I would love to hear your real world experience on the topic.

• Like 3

Dave! Well you know me and follow my pages. I strongly believe Otos are fine at 70 degrees and may even be fine at 68 on a regular basis. My tanks are in constant flux because I have no heaters. I keep my house generally at 72 but my Oto tank is in the warmest room in the house with some ambient heat from an antique gas stove. My tanks there flux from 70-78. I think this plays a big part on why my Otos breed. I personally think this is a trigger for them. Being as how most Otos are wild caught and where they come from is even colder I think they're fine in unheated tanks. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 1/24/2024 at 7:50 AM, DaveO said:

My question to you is, 'in your personal experience' what is the lowest temp that otocinclus  will be healthy? I am not interested in video suggestions or internet wisdom. I would love to hear your real world experience on the topic.

Mine have been in low-mid 60's.  As far as if it's safe for an extended period, below 65 a lot of those types of fish struggle and start to shut down.  64 or below is basically when they might have some real issues and just freeze.  It's been 2 years or so since that happened and so I don't recall if they specifically froze or were just new.  I have 3 left, had 4 (one got stuck in sponge prefilter when moving the tank), so I had lost 2 during the acclimation/cold.

• Thanks 1