New aquarium!

We got my daughters a 20 gallon aquarium for Christmas (but let's face it, it's just as much for me and my husband as it is for them). I had fish when I was younger, but it's been a while and a lot has changed since then. After a lot of research, I think we are going to go with Corydoras, Danios, and a rainbow fish for the show piece (not all at once obviously).  My questions are: Does it sound like a good combination of fish? Is this too many for a 20 gallon? Which ones are the hardiest (to get first)? Thank you so much and I am so glad I have found this site and community! I have been binge watching the YouTube videos!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:03 PM, mabowman89 said:

We got my daughters a 20 gallon aquarium for Christmas (but let's face it, it's just as much for me and my husband as it is for them). I had fish when I was younger, but it's been a while and a lot has changed since then. After a lot of research, I think we are going to go with Corydoras, Danios, and a rainbow fish for the show piece (not all at once obviously).  My questions are: Does it sound like a good combination of fish? Is this too many for a 20 gallon? Which ones are the hardiest (to get first)? Thank you so much and I am so glad I have found this site and community! I have been binge watching the YouTube videos!

What size 20gallon? Is it a 20high (24x12x16) or a 20long (30x12x12) or a different size? A longer tank will allow you to keep larger faster fish like praecox rainbowfish.

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:13 PM, GoofyGarra said:

What size 20gallon? Is it a 20high (24x12x16) or a 20long (30x12x12) or a different size? A longer tank will allow you to keep larger faster fish like praecox rainbowfish.

20 long sorry! I forget that there is different sizes within a size. 

• Haha 1

You can do smaller danios like CPD and smaller cories like Pygmy or habrosus Cory. There are also smaller rainbow fish in the pseudomugil genus(Gertrudae or Luminatus) that will work in that tank. I currently have panda cories in my 20 long but they will be upgraded to a 60 breeder soon. I felt that the 20 long wasn’t enough space for them. 

A honey gourami would be a good centerpiece fish or even a male or female betta. I’d go with a female betta just to avoid problems with aggression. 

• Thanks 1

What about pseudumugil species as your centerpiece. Dwarf corydoras ( hasbrosus or hastatus). And finish that with some nano danio/Rasbora species?

I believe the smaller tank size works for those fish and you'd want the 20Long aquarium, 30" long.

My apologies about any spelling errors, not sure on that one!

• Thanks 1

Congrats.  If you do some research on this forum, the biggest problem you will see with new tanks is ammonia spikes and dead fish.

There are lots of (valid) opinions/approaches to cycling a tank.  Just make sure you understand the nitrogen cycle and that you pick one approach and stick to it before you decide on your fish. 🙂

Edited by Galabar
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 10:52 PM, knee said:

You can do smaller danios like CPD and smaller cories like Pygmy or habrosus Cory. There are also smaller rainbow fish in the pseudomugil genus(Gertrudae or Luminatus) that will work in that tank. I currently have panda cories in my 20 long but they will be upgraded to a 60 breeder soon. I felt that the 20 long wasn’t enough space for them. 

A honey gourami would be a good centerpiece fish or even a male or female betta. I’d go with a female betta just to avoid problems with aggression. 

I'm in a small town and only have a PetSmart around me and was going by what they have. Although I will try and do more research to see if I may have missed other stores as I rather not buy online. I thought about a betta as well. If we do go that route, would doing tetras instead of danios be better? I was thinking of bottom, middle, and top swimmers. Thank you for the suggestions and I'll definitely keep an eye out for those!

On 1/11/2024 at 10:53 PM, NOLANANO said:

Dwarf neon rainbows would be my suggestion but that seems like a very reasonable combo 

PetSmart only had 2 kinds of rainbow. Not sure if either of them were dwarf, but I know they didn't say dwarf. Thank you!

On 1/11/2024 at 11:42 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

What about pseudumugil species as your centerpiece. Dwarf corydoras ( hasbrosus or hastatus). And finish that with some nano danio/Rasbora species?

I believe the smaller tank size works for those fish and you'd want the 20Long aquarium, 30" long.

My apologies about any spelling errors, not sure on that one!

I was going by what PetSmart had in stock, as that's really the only thing that is close by. Although I will do more research and see if there may be another type of store around.  I'll keep an eye out for your suggestions. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:48 AM, Galabar said:

Congrats.  If you do some research on this forum, the biggest problem you will see with new tanks is ammonia spikes and dead fish.

There are lots of (valid) opinions/approaches to cycling a tank.  Just make sure you understand the nitrogen cycle and that you pick one approach and stick to it before you decide on your fish. 🙂

Yes I have been doing a lot of reading on the nitrogen cycle and cycling the aquarium.  We are almost ready to set it up and start that process, just waiting on my husband to finish making the stand.  We will go get the first fish once everything is at the appropriate levels. Thank you!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

The Danios are a good first choice.  PetSmart will almost always have Zebras.  They are hardy and fun to watch.   As you are already aware of the Nitrogen cycle, I would avoid a beginner mistake and buy only two or three fish when the day comes.  Wait a week and buy 3 more.  This gives your newly cycled aquarium time to adjust to the new bioload.  In time your cycle will be able to handle larger numbers.  There is nothing special about (3).  All of your fish prefer company of their own kind, and stocking at least three spreads aggression, and reduces stress, should one of your fish become a bully.  Groups of three is also where the LFSs near me offers a small discount.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:04 AM, Tanked said:

Welcome to the forum.

The Danios are a good first choice.  PetSmart will almost always have Zebras.  They are hardy and fun to watch.   As you are already aware of the Nitrogen cycle, I would avoid a beginner mistake and buy only two or three fish when the day comes.  Wait a week and buy 3 more.  This gives your newly cycled aquarium time to adjust to the new bioload.  In time your cycle will be able to handle larger numbers.  There is nothing special about (3).  All of your fish prefer company of their own kind, and stocking at least three spreads aggression, and reduces stress, should one of your fish become a bully.  Groups of three is also where the LFSs near me offers a small discount.

Thank you! So start with about 3 danios, or whatever we end finally going with, wait a bit then add a few more danios, wait a bit then start introducing another species? Does that sound about right?

• Like 1

Well, never mind on the rainbow fish as the show piece.  I don't know if I got misinformation or just misread but I don't think they are what I was looking for. Anyone have suggestions? I think we definitely want cories, and either danios or tetras, depending on what level the show piece swims at.  You all are amazing!

On 1/12/2024 at 10:11 AM, mabowman89 said:

Thank you! So start with about 3 danios, or whatever we end finally going with, wait a bit then add a few more danios, wait a bit then start introducing another species? Does that sound about right?

Yes.

Everything in moderation.  You could start with Danios, and add three more danios, or add three tetras, or...    I like to keep groups of at least five or six.  I keep Bloodfin and Serpae Tetras.  There are so many choices.   Somebody will correct me if needed, but I think Corydoras are a little more sensitive to change, so that would not be my first fish.    

If you haven't yet, I would purchase an Ammonia test kit to go with your regular test strips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are going with Petsmart as your only source I would try neon tetra with beta and cories. They will have them. the tetras color with the beta will be complementary. Good luck, and welcome.

• Thanks 1

I love honey gourami as a showpiece fish! They are smaller and less aggressive than dwarf gourami and 3-spot (blue/opaline) gourami. Personally I would not mix a betta, especially a male with long fins, with danios - the danios are much faster than the betta and when I had danios they were nippy. Others may have had a different experience though.

Also, in place of tetras or danios, I would like to suggest cherry barbs! I ADORE my cherry barbs, the males are stunning red under the lights, they are totally peaceful, and I was able to breed them without trying! Only a few fry survive here and there, but I have gone from 10 to 25+ over the past year or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for zebra danios.  The are extremely hardy and will probably only die of old age in your tank. 🙂

On 1/12/2024 at 5:32 AM, mabowman89 said:

Yes I have been doing a lot of reading on the nitrogen cycle and cycling the aquarium.  We are almost ready to set it up and start that process, just waiting on my husband to finish making the stand.  We will go get the first fish once everything is at the appropriate levels. Thank you!

My suggestion for this would be simple store-bought ammonia along with the ACO or Tetra ammonia and 6-1 test strips. Wait for the nitrite to show up and then hit 0.  No need for water changes or fish health anxiety.  🙂

Edited by Galabar
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:52 AM, RachelElizabeth said:

I love honey gourami as a showpiece fish! They are smaller and less aggressive than dwarf gourami and 3-spot (blue/opaline) gourami. Personally I would not mix a betta, especially a male with long fins, with danios - the danios are much faster than the betta and when I had danios they were nippy. Others may have had a different experience though.

Also, in place of tetras or danios, I would like to suggest cherry barbs! I ADORE my cherry barbs, the males are stunning red under the lights, they are totally peaceful, and I was able to breed them without trying! Only a few fry survive here and there, but I have gone from 10 to 25+ over the past year or so.

Thank you! I am now really looking into a honey gourami, cherry barbs, and Pygmy corydoras. I have found another place that sells fish a little farther away and plan to call to see if they carry those.  Thank you again for your suggestions!

On 1/13/2024 at 5:00 AM, Billipo said:

There are other good Cory options besides dwarf that may be appropriate, more beginner friendly, and most importantly that a box pet shop might actually stock. 

What is it about the dwarf/pygmy ones are less beginner friendly? I was thinking it may be harder feeding wise or that they just aren't as hardy since they are smaller? I was thinking of tank space, but the more I think of it the more I do lean more towards the ones I saw at PetSmart.

On 1/13/2024 at 6:58 PM, mabowman89 said:

What is it about the dwarf/pygmy ones are less beginner friendly? I was thinking it may be harder feeding wise or that they just aren't as hardy since they are smaller? I was thinking of tank space, but the more I think of it the more I do lean more towards the ones I saw at PetSmart.

I mostly am surprised that you would find them at a PetSmart figuring you would be waiting in vain for them to show up in stock.

In my single experience with Pygmies, their size made them more invisible than tank impactful. I would consider them less robust compared to common types such as Aeneus, Panda, Julii, and Paleatus which I've found all to be very long-lived, some of the easier fish to raise, and so much easier to find. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:43 PM, Billipo said:

I mostly am surprised that you would find them at a PetSmart figuring you would be waiting in vain for them to show up in stock.

In my single experience with Pygmies, their size made them more invisible than tank impactful. I would consider them less robust compared to common types such as Aeneus, Panda, Julii, and Paleatus which I've found all to be very long-lived, some of the easier fish to raise, and so much easier to find. 

They actually didn't have the Pygmy ones, just aeneus and paleatus.  I did find another fish store a bit farther away that I may venture to at some point to see what they have.  Thank you for your information and helping to lead me in the right direction!

On 1/12/2024 at 4:56 PM, mabowman89 said:

cherry barbs,

I just got some of these. So very underrated at how interesting they can be to watch and enjoy. That color is so intense!

On 1/13/2024 at 9:17 PM, JE47 said:

If you ever wanted to consider an unheated aquarium white cloud mountain minnows are my favorite. I like your current stocking plan thought let us know how it goes.

1000%

On 1/11/2024 at 9:52 PM, knee said:

A honey gourami would be a good centerpiece fish

@mabowman89  I like knee's idea for your centerpiece fish.  I'm getting one for my 2 year old 20 gallon high tank, since I recently lost my sweet female Betta.  Also, I'd wait to get the cories until your tank has time to really get settled. 

In case you're interested:  my tank has Harlequin Rasboras and they've never been sick (knock on wood).  They are beautiful, live a long time, are constantly moving around and just a pleasure to watch.  I also have Rummy-Nose Tetras and plan to add 1 Honey Gourami soon.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you.  Remember, patience is your friend in all things aquatic.20240105_0936182.jpg.2f7aa8cd3cba3006bc0e9afd2df92d9a.jpg

• Like 1