How often do Discus fish lay eggs and have the eggs hatch

FrozenFins

Hey,

I'm looking to start supporting my hobby in one way or another, so I wanna start breeding fish.

One fish I have always wanted to breed was discus or angelfish.

Does the following sound good for a discus breeding setup:

-25 Gallon For Breeding

-25 Gallon grow out tank.

Do you think I will need more grow out tanks? How often do discus eggs hatch and how can I prevent them from breeding till I'm ready for there next batch? Could I move one of the discus to another tank, and then move him/ her back to the breeding tank when I'm ready for another batch? Or is there something I could do with the tempeture? 

Personally I wouldn’t attempt to start with discus, angelfish are a better choice. With that being said people will say they are easy. But that’s typically coming from people experienced in breeding other fish.  You’ll find that almost everyone recommends you get a group of 6-8 juv fish and grow them up and form pairs. I have found a ton of videos on YouTube about breeding angelfish and discus. I’d recommend you start there. And do some research and most of your questions will be answered. 

• Like 1

I keep and bred discus and angelfish.

Angelfish are much easier to be successful with. Both have fish can have issues with eating eggs. Discus are bigger, require larger spaces and feeding them can take a little more effort than angelfish. Discus prefer warmer water than angelfish.

Profitability with either will be elusive unless you can get the equipment and food for next to nothing (which is possible). I have had no trouble selling adult angelfish to pet stores for about $5 each. My profit on each of these was -$5 as each fish cost about $10 each to produce.

But, you can create an angelfish factory with enough persistence and desire, and if you are a better business person than myself, you might be able to break even.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FrostiesFishes said:

Personally I wouldn’t attempt to start with discus, angelfish are a better choice. With that being said people will say they are easy. But that’s typically coming from people experienced in breeding other fish.  You’ll find that almost everyone recommends you get a group of 6-8 juv fish and grow them up and form pairs. I have found a ton of videos on YouTube about breeding angelfish and discus. I’d recommend you start there. And do some research and most of your questions will be answered. 

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I keep and bred discus and angelfish.

Angelfish are much easier to be successful with. Both have fish can have issues with eating eggs. Discus are bigger, require larger spaces and feeding them can take a little more effort than angelfish. Discus prefer warmer water than angelfish.

Profitability with either will be elusive unless you can get the equipment and food for next to nothing (which is possible). I have had no trouble selling adult angelfish to pet stores for about $5 each. My profit on each of these was -$5 as each fish cost about $10 each to produce.

But, you can create an angelfish factory with enough persistence and desire, and if you are a better business person than myself, you might be able to break even.

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

Cory mentioned in a video how discus are difficult fish to profit from, as they aren't high-selling fish due to their size and tank requirements. 

11 hours ago, James Black said:

Hey,

I'm looking to start supporting my hobby in one way or another, so I wanna start breeding fish.

One fish I have always wanted to breed was discus or angelfish.

Does the following sound good for a discus breeding setup:

-25 Gallon For Breeding

-25 Gallon grow out tank.

Do you think I will need more grow out tanks? How often do discus eggs hatch and how can I prevent them from breeding till I'm ready for there next batch? Could I move one of the discus to another tank, and then move him/ her back to the breeding tank when I'm ready for another batch? Or is there something I could do with the tempeture? 

How often will angelfish Lay eggs. And how can I prevent them from laying eggs when I'm not ready for the next batch?

1 minute ago, James Black said:

How often will angelfish Lay eggs. And how can I prevent them from laying eggs when I'm not ready for the next batch?

Once they get going, after they pair up and after they get over eating the first few batches of eggs they will spawn all the time. Maybe every couple of weeks give or take some.

If they have fry this slows them down a little bit. You can make it so it is hard to spawn like putting them in with other adult angels (I have done this), this may or may not stop them. You can separate them (this usually works, but sometimes the female will lay eggs anyway). Or you can sell them (I have done this).

If you have a lot of angelfish fry, you should be thinking about how you will grow them, what you will feed them, and what you will do with them once they are saleable size. That is where to vast majority of the work and expense is incurred.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Denise said:

I have 2 breeding Discus. They have always eaten their eggs. I got them as adults and have had them 2 years. Many of their eggs get fungus. Any suggestions on how to get fry ?

Try hatching them in a separate container that has some movement in the water (depending on the size you could be okay just putting in some airline tubing/an air stone) and use an additive like methylene blue to prevent fungus.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 11:09 PM, ange said:

Try hatching them in a separate container that has some movement in the water (depending on the size you could be okay just putting in some airline tubing/an air stone) and use an additive like methylene blue to prevent fungus.

If they keep eating eggs this is probably best idea. Some breeders will make a fence type blockade out of a plastic hardware cloth material and put it around the breeding cone that will allow the parents to fan the eggs but they can't get close enough to eat the eggs. When I bred discus before, usually after a couple spawns they get it down and stop eating the eggs. 

• Like 1