Fresh water sponge

Sweetpickles

I have had this growing in my cooler (70°) tank for a few years. I transferred some hornwart frm that tank to my warmer (80°ish)tank. A month ago I was cleaning the sponges from my hob and noticed the growth of it inside. Today I noticed it had spawned a new one and the original has doubled in size!! Such fun watching a habitat grow! Just thought I would share what I thought was interesting. 

The last pic is when I first noticed it.

20231205_131047.jpg

20231205_131059.jpg

20231107_074442.jpg

Edited by Sweetpickles
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

On 12/5/2023 at 1:18 PM, Sweetpickles said:

I have had this growing in my cooler (70°) tank for a few years. I transferred some hornwart frm that tank to my warmer (80°ish)tank. A month ago I was cleaning the sponges from my hob and noticed the growth of it inside. Today I noticed it had spawned a new one and the original has doubled in size!! Such fun watching a habit grow! Just thought I would share what I thought was interesting. 

The last pic is when I first noticed it.

20231205_131047.jpg

20231205_131059.jpg

20231107_074442.jpg

@Sweetpickles wow that's fascinating. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 8:21 PM, T. Payne said:

I have these in several of the tanks in my fishroom. I can't stand them. I wish I knew what caused them.

You must keep a pristine tank!! It's a good sign when you have these! They are a living thing. I believe they assist in keeping the water filtered as well. I don't know much about them. I also believe they are introduced by our water system. 

On 12/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

Carolina Biological Supply used to carry them. 

Mine just appeared in my tank one day. If you search on YouTube there is a man with a channel that also had one appear in his tank and talks about it in a few of his videos. So does the Chanel "secret history living in your aquarium" his videos are pretty scientific. Very interesting 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

Carolina Biological Supply used to carry them. 

"...and do not expect it to last for an extended period—even with good care."  Well, at least they are honest about it! 

Information on sponge care seems to be a little sparse, so for the moment, I'll keep my $25.  Having only discovered the existence of Bryozoans last year, it's fascinating to learn what other tiny animals grow beneath the surface.

• Love 1