Anyone Use Casters on DIY Stand Build?

Corey Sharp

Has anyone used casters on a DIY stand? I'm going to be building a stand for a 180 gallon aquarium with a 75 gallon sump beneath it. I expect the whole setup to weigh 3000-3500 pounds, so I'm trying to build the stand to handle at least double that. 

The aquarium is going in my unfinished basement and I would love to be able to move the aquarium down the road to finish the basement in a couple of years. I also would love the ability to get behind the aquarium if needed for servicing. 

I found these and thought it would give me the added benefit of an easy leveling system. I would get 2 sets of these and would want to make sure all 8 are distributed underneath the load bearing 2x6's. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Screenshot_20231128_165655_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Moving a full aquarium is dangerous.  A slope in the floor or  anything that suddenly stops one wheel could cause a tsunami!  The taller the stand, the more top heavy it becomes and the greater the possibility of tipping.  Among other things, I've seen a pebble knock a car off of dollies.    Having said that, the choice of casters with leveling feet looks like a good choice overall.

• Like 1

If rolling your tank around is a must, these casters look like the least bad way to go. The (biggest?) problem isn't when the weight is on the pads, its when the weight is on the wheels. The wheels don't appear to be adjustable height like the pads, so if the floor you're rolling over is uneven, or 1 wheel goes over a rise or dip, that changes the weight on the other wheels. If you're using 2 sets i think that will compensate, at least enough to keep you from disaster. But i'm not a qualfied engineer (not even an unqualified engineer LOL). 

If you significantly lower the water level when moving the tank, that should mitigate the risk of the tidal wave scenario above (there could still be a tidal wave, but it shouldn't breach the rim). 

Another unknown for me is how compressible the rubber pads are. On a concrete floor, I'd rather have a firm wood or metal connection from stand to floor than rubber. How long will it last? Will it compress as the tank is filled? if weight is distributed on the pads evenly, presumably the 8 pads would all compress the same, but if they cumulatively give back even a few millimeters (a mm is less than 1/16" for y'alls out there), not ideal. worse, what if the pads on one end compress more than those on the other? It's not like it would happen fast, and you can always monitor the top of the tank for level over time. 

Just sharing thoughts/concerns. 

On 11/29/2023 at 12:04 PM, TOtrees said:

If rolling your tank around is a must, these casters look like the least bad way to go. The (biggest?) problem isn't when the weight is on the pads, its when the weight is on the wheels. The wheels don't appear to be adjustable height like the pads, so if the floor you're rolling over is uneven, or 1 wheel goes over a rise or dip, that changes the weight on the other wheels. If you're using 2 sets i think that will compensate, at least enough to keep you from disaster. But i'm not a qualfied engineer (not even an unqualified engineer LOL). 

If you significantly lower the water level when moving the tank, that should mitigate the risk of the tidal wave scenario above (there could still be a tidal wave, but it shouldn't breach the rim). 

Another unknown for me is how compressible the rubber pads are. On a concrete floor, I'd rather have a firm wood or metal connection from stand to floor than rubber. How long will it last? Will it compress as the tank is filled? if weight is distributed on the pads evenly, presumably the 8 pads would all compress the same, but if they cumulatively give back even a few millimeters (a mm is less than 1/16" for y'alls out there), not ideal. worse, what if the pads on one end compress more than those on the other? It's not like it would happen fast, and you can always monitor the top of the tank for level over time. 

Just sharing thoughts/concerns. 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:42 AM, Tanked said:

Moving a full aquarium is dangerous.  A slope in the floor or  anything that suddenly stops one wheel could cause a tsunami!  The taller the stand, the more top heavy it becomes and the greater the possibility of tipping.  Among other things, I've seen a pebble knock a car off of dollies.    Having said that, the choice of casters with leveling feet looks like a good choice overall.

I completely agree with all of the above concerns. I don't plan on ever moving it full. I would leave maybe 6 inches of water in it if I have to move it with fish. The idea would be for when I go to finish the basement I can put a wall up behind it and if there was a plumbing emergency where I had to redo something behind the tank. I think the two biggest concerns I have are how strong are the rubber pads and how would I attach them. I know they are for heavy-duty items, but a vending machine could probably settle a bit over time without any issues. An aquarium... not sure about that. 

As far as attaching them, my current thought is to run 3x 24" long 2x6 flat along the bottom of the stand. One flush with each end and one in the middle. That way the the weight-bearing supports are continuous through the bottom 2x6's. I still don't know how much I trust that. 

I think it's a cool idea and I would love to pull it off, I'm just not sure if I want to run the risks. I might play around with it while building the stand, but if I'm not 100% confident in it, I won't do it. 

I think that @Daniel has his aquariums on rolling tool boxes, but nothing that size, so it is possible.  While the rollers could flatten out over time, the adjustable feet can only compress as far as that steel bolt lets them.  45 gallons of water (no sump)+ substrate + aquarium = about 600#.  Still risky, but doable with helpers.

• Like 1

Look up Tidal Gardens on YouTube. He is saltwater guy, but in the last few years he has built an entire new coral farm, and the stands he has use casters very similar to this. They don't move the tanks around regularly, but with the size of the tanks he wanted a way to be able to move them when initially setting up the place and if they need to in an emergency.

• Like 1