Substrate recommendations

Elyse

anyone have recommendations for a brand that sells a course sand suitable for earth eaters and corydoras? I don't want the sand to be too fine otherwise it compacts and is harder for plants to grow in. Would like both a black and white option please...

Absolutely. Carib sea jungle river sand. All my corydora love it including my Pygmy. I love it because it can be vacuumed to avoid compacting yet it does not go up the siphon. My GBR, Laetacara dorsigera and curviceps love it. 

the dorsigera use their body to dig holes for breeding and this is still perfect for that. 

E1AD0528-038F-4CA5-ACC8-B74F22A7291C.jpeg

3D968179-7561-4791-B89C-0001EFD076ED.jpeg

D31B22C5-671D-40E7-B7C2-109B801D6D81.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:16 PM, Elyse Douglas said:

anyone have recommendations for a brand that sells a course sand suitable for earth eaters and corydoras? I don't want the sand to be too fine otherwise it compacts and is harder for plants to grow in. Would like both a black and white option please...

you can use plant root friendly substrate on the bottom and fine sand on top. A lot of aquascapers use this method. Walstad tanks use this method. You can check MD's videos to see how he does it. He has many setups with different substrates all topped with fine sand

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 4:51 PM, Lennie said:

you can use plant root friendly substrate on the bottom and fine sand on top. A lot of aquascapers use this method. Walstad tanks use this method. You can check MD's videos to see how he does it. He has many setups with different substrates all topped with fine sand

I think I may have to do that for my tanks that i want to use black sand in... I can't find a course sand option in black like I did for the white which caribsea has multiple options

Black Diamond Blasting Sand (BDBS). You can get a big bag for cheap. Rinse it well. I think there are 2 sizes, medium and fine. I've had it in my tank for over a year. Plants are growing fine and I have snails that bury in it but I can't speak for the fish you mentioned.

It is a substrate to do research on as many people have used it for years in multiple tanks with a variety of fish and have had no issues. But others have had problems.

• Like 2

I’ve used the black and white Imagitarium sand at Petco on my smaller tanks.  I’ve had good results for plants, corys, and apistos that like sifting.  Here’s a link:

Imagitarium Sand 

Pool filter sand can be a good option if you need to buy a lot since it is cheaper.  Most pool filter sand is tan but you can find white ones.  I am getting ready to go this route for my larger tank but haven’t used personally yet.