Clouded Archerfish - Need Information

FLFishChik

So, I just finished watching @Irene latest video on Youtube - "The Most COLORFUL Fish I’ve Ever Seen (ft. Aquarium Co-Op)" and towards the last part of the vlog, as she was talking about the "oddball" fish section, we get a brief shot of these black and white Archerfish (as identified in posts below). Can anyone tell me about these fish and what are requirements, tank size... yada, yada?

Thanks!image.png.00aa6e40c842a8f80ae67d00ca81642b.png

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1

Definitely looks like clouded archerfish to me, Toxotes blythii. Fascinating group, for sure.  Somebody on here was creating a tank specifically for archerfish but I don’t now remember who.  @FLFishChik, if you edit your title you might be able to grab the interest of whomever that was and be able to find out more about them (I should remember).  They had obviously don’t a lot of reading about their requirements.  He had an interesting set up going with lots of emerse plants enclosed in a very large hood over an open top tank so there was no chance of the fish jumping out plus designed to keep in the feeder insects.

• Like 3

Yeah I would attempt a paludarium style fish tank with them. They feel more safe under cover and their hunting grounds are above the water line. 

clouded archerfish are true freshwater archerfish whereas their cousins are brackish. They have been known to chew on vegetation that makes it’s way into their tank so it may be best to grow pothos or other emergent plants that they can “trim” as the plant enters the water

They also stay significantly smaller than their brackish counterparts I think maxing out at about 6-8”, although some wild specimens have attained a foot in length. They are a data deficient fish so little is known about their life history and rearing. And all are wild caught. We do know from other archerfish species that the babies learn how to shoot by watching others.

cool fish! Hope you attempt them.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 11:18 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Yeah I would attempt a paludarium style fish tank with them. They feel more safe under cover and their hunting grounds are above the water line. 

clouded archerfish are true freshwater archerfish whereas their cousins are brackish. They have been known to chew on vegetation that makes it’s way into their tank so it may be best to grow pothos or other emergent plants that they can “trim” as the plant enters the water

They also stay significantly smaller than their brackish counterparts I think maxing out at about 6-8”, although some wild specimens have attained a foot in length. They are a data deficient fish so little is known about their life history and rearing. And all are wild caught. We do know from other archerfish species that the babies learn how to shoot by watching others.

cool fish! Hope you attempt them.

Thank you so much for the info! They sound awesome… and are absolutely gorgeous fish, but probably a bit too advanced for me at the moment. I’ll keep them on the list of dream fish!