i did my water change today instead on sunday, because i have more time.

IMG_0901.jpg.b2e76e3f40cd51529199aa9b7d0b9748.jpg

also the green water jar is rather green:

IMG_0909.jpg.d9cff7c18ff8bf46a5efa371d08d19f6.jpg

I did work on one of my terrariums today. No reptiles but its one of those bioactive nano scape terrarium kind of things, like this style:

anyway, here is what the setup looked like beforehand:

IMG_0903.jpg.c05ce3bbbd527e8a5e8146b2c951c71d.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg.b848ffa32e3a795a3e1dc3aec56ad7df.jpg

my issue was my substrate. It was mostly activated carbon which really didnt hold moisture very well and  things were constantly dry. The normal terrarium substrate i use is a potting soil with things like sphagnum moss in it which has worked very well in my other terrariums. I pulled all the plants and moss out of the setup and most of the subtrate. I then moved a good amount of the activated carbon into my substrate mix and mixed it all up. (the plants really liked it, but as a lone substrate it wasnt very good, most of the substrate is the potting soil now). I then mixed up the substrate mix and added a good amount.

IMG_0904.jpg.3130a25c0bf47947e75954fc1cd0fac2.jpg

all the plants out of the terrarium

For this setup i used a shelf style scape. I added in two large rocks in the middle that i filled in behind them with substrate, this will allow me to create taller sections out of shorter plants. I then created a moss jungle with various types of moss in front of the rock wall and added a few other plants around the edges. I then planted up the top shelf with moss (including one that i had overhanging onto the wall for a natural effect) and for the star of the top shelf i had a Crypt Lutea. My previous setup was full of Brazilian pennywort but i dont want to use it again in this setup just due to how fast it grows in setups like these,i prefer slow growers like the mosses, crypts, and anubias. (though its the complete opposite when it comes to aquariums...).

Top view of the completed setup:

IMG_0906.jpg.c0b705d473525ec3e60c64117a437a30.jpg

My one problem is when i was prepping the jar the sticker and i had a fight so the front is covered with residue that makes it hard to see inside. Anyone got any tricks to remove that?

On 9/15/2023 at 9:00 AM, GoofyGarra said:

My one problem is when i was prepping the jar the sticker and i had a fight so the front is covered with residue that makes it hard to see inside. Anyone got any tricks to remove that?

Sometimes just rubbing alcohol will remove sticker residue.  Is your container glass or plastic (I can’t quite tell from the pics).  If your container is glass but alcohol doesn’t work, then you can try acetone but acetone will dissolve some plastics so I wouldn’t risk it on plastic.  For future reference, you can also heat glass a bit to help get residue off, but you can’t now with plants already in there.  A hairdryer can be enough heat to encourage residue to lift away.  Just be VERY CAREFUL not to cool glass too fast after heating as it can easily shatter.  Don’t try to heat plastic as hot enough water will often melt or partially melt and distort plastic.

On 9/15/2023 at 3:39 PM, Odd Duck said:

Sometimes just rubbing alcohol will remove sticker residue.  Is your container glass or plastic (I can’t quite tell from the pics).  If your container is glass but alcohol doesn’t work, then you can try acetone but acetone will dissolve some plastics so I wouldn’t risk it on plastic.  For future reference, you can also heat glass a bit to help get residue off, but you can’t now with plants already in there.  A hairdryer can be enough heat to encourage residue to lift away.  Just be VERY CAREFUL not to cool glass too fast after heating as it can easily shatter.  Don’t try to heat plastic as hot enough water will often melt or partially melt and distort plastic.

its plastic, i use empty pretzel jars.

Edited by GoofyGarra

On 9/15/2023 at 4:48 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, or from a bottle.  I use it on gauze, cotton balls, Q-tips, paper towels even although they’ll get stuck and try to fall apart if the adhesive is still too sticky.

it seems to be working. I applied the swab then scraped away with my fingernail. Its much clearer now. Im not quite sure though how much was the swab and how much was my nail.

Edited by GoofyGarra

On 9/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, GoofyGarra said:

it seems to be working. I applied the swab then scraped away with my fingernail. Its much clearer now. Im not quite sure though how much was the swab and how much was my nail.

You should be able to feel the difference, especially when it’s dry.  You’ll still feel the residue after it’s dry if it’s still there.  Might take several applications and some rubbing to get it all off.  Don’t rub too much, though, or you’ll get microscratches that will cause a hazy effect on the plastic.

sigh... my situation right now:

Put 1female platy in the 5 to give birth and she gets lonely and shy.

Put 2in and they start chasing each other around agressivly

3 is too much for that tank size.

Maybe a clear breeder box could be the solution?

also kinda feeling a bit of burn-out, between lots of work, i dont have much time to watch the tank, and getting into isopods which im more excited about. Hopefully everything works out.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 8:11 PM, GoofyGarra said:

sigh... my situation right now:

Put 1female platy in the 5 to give birth and she gets lonely and shy.

Put 2in and they start chasing each other around agressivly

3 is too much for that tank size.

Maybe a clear breeder box could be the solution?

also kinda feeling a bit of burn-out, between lots of work, i dont have much time to watch the tank, and getting into isopods which im more excited about. Hopefully everything works out.

If it seems she is lonely just remind yourself it’s only temporary.

• Like 3

posts like this really make me appreciate my tank more then if i was just looking at it.

the mosquitofish are settling in well (still camera-shy as ever), they are sparring with each other a bit as @Root said they might, but they are not bothering the other fish.

IMG_0918.jpg.11879f9e5761b0e54c4b0fc924fa54a3.jpg

breakfast time!

IMG_0915.jpg.3c4378abd2409950e10d4b06cfaac9f6.jpgIMG_0917.jpg.3b4f17dd46e1c187b54cf31bb7168195.jpg

the one defect cory fry is all alone in the breeder box at this point, the rest have been moved out. Im so busy i really dont feed him as many times a day as i should so his growth rate is slowed down.

IMG_0919.jpg.4ec5ef54559d79321d46e0f92791fdf0.jpg

this sword is getting too big for the tank, i have a friend with a 75gallon, it would look real cool there, but here it has so many large leaves it is a jungle in itself, which is cool, but most of the leaves are cramped trying to stay in the water.

IMG_0914.jpg.56028c60ece10aa5a5672667c9c36982.jpg

Also @Colu should i be concerned about this white bump on my Betta's head. It has not spread to any of the other fish and ive had him for nearly 2years now. Maybe just an injury?IMG_0921.jpg.29170718e6d7c74538bde53e72793c0d.jpg

also dwarf aquarium lily leaf 😍:

IMG_0897.jpg.dfc9c175e877e7714084c862744a4361.jpg

Edited by GoofyGarra

On 9/20/2023 at 12:01 PM, GoofyGarra said:

posts like this really make me appreciate my tank more then if i was just looking at it.

the mosquitofish are settling in well (still camera-shy as ever), they are sparring with each other a bit as @Root said they might, but they are not bothering the other fish.

IMG_0918.jpg.11879f9e5761b0e54c4b0fc924fa54a3.jpg

breakfast time!

IMG_0915.jpg.3c4378abd2409950e10d4b06cfaac9f6.jpgIMG_0917.jpg.3b4f17dd46e1c187b54cf31bb7168195.jpg

the one defect cory fry is all alone in the breeder box at this point, the rest have been moved out. Im so busy i really dont feed him as many times a day as i should so his growth rate is slowed down.

IMG_0919.jpg.4ec5ef54559d79321d46e0f92791fdf0.jpg

this sword is getting too big for the tank, i have a friend with a 75gallon, it would look real cool there, but here it has so many large leaves it is a jungle in itself, which is cool, but most of the leaves are cramped trying to stay in the water.

IMG_0914.jpg.56028c60ece10aa5a5672667c9c36982.jpg

Also @Colu should i be concerned about this white bump on my Betta's head. It has not spread to any of the other fish and ive had him for nearly 2years now. Maybe just an injury?IMG_0921.jpg.29170718e6d7c74538bde53e72793c0d.jpg

How long has it had the lump and does it have a fuzzy appearance 

I personally like to use a cut up bottle with my hob so that the water is directed right onto the surface. However this means the inside of the water doesnt get too much flow.

I have a nano pump that i rubber banded a prefilter sponge into (so its a mini internal filter) and i have place it into the tank behind the amazon sword. Its a more directional flow then the HOB with the water starting  at the back of the tank, then hitting the front and spreading out. Ive seen the fish playing around in the flow already. The sword also hides most of the blue sponge so its not super apparent.

IMG_0923.jpg.736c99ed64298deadd20d8cd1651125f.jpgIMG_0926.jpg.9053bdf342828081094017a15c3edff8.jpgIMG_0927.jpg.2650ab7244dd4514606d27838d81edc7.jpg

edit: on further notice the flow (even on full) is not as much as i would like. Does anyone have any small water pumps they like?

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, Guppysnail said:

That was a great idea. I used pumps out of my cats old water dish. I do not think it’s any stronger though. 

i have a friend who is rather talented in finding used aquarium stuff people are giving away. Im going to ask him if he can find a small canister or internal filter, or  just a stronger pump.

whats the price point on a 107?

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 1

cories were breeding this morning, i tried to get it on video but my end of youtube had technical difficulties 😒. (if i can get it working ill post that later).

However, my new flow pattern with the pump is working as intended. Normally when the cories breed they do it in the highest flow area of the tank, right next to the bubbles of the sponge filter, but those eggs are very exposed and get eaten quickly. Now im hoping with more flow on the other side they will lay their eggs among the amazon sword  and i might be able to get some colony breeding happening, and it does look like they are laying eggs on the sword leaves 🥳.

I was messing around with some filter stuff. I have a tetra whisper 20 HOB that came with my tank kit when i just got started. However due to the fact that i read every step in the instructions BESIDES for priming the filter has always had a noise issue. Im trying to figure out if the issue is the impeller or the box it sits in. I took the impeller out of my coop powerhead that has the wiring issue, and after moving a end cap from the tetra impeller to the coop impeller i put the coop impeller in instead, then ran the filter. It is definitely quieter, but not quite how i would like it. I think i may as well stop messing with that filter at this point, its going to be loud no matter what i do. (also i think the 211GPH from the coop powerhead was a flow upgrade from what the filter had before). Also i only tried this because it was a impeller that was otherwise useless in a filter i was trying to fix but didnt use, so dont try this at home, mix and match impellers might not work in other situations

isopod stuff happening:

I have my container. its a 18by11by10.5 so i think pretty big when it comes to isopods. Ive ordered some Orchid Bark and Sphagnum moss for the substrate and that should be here soon. Im pretty much just following this video:

this is the container:

IMG_0947.jpg.769d9d0c8320211e4f87154e58ba45bd.jpg

Its on a shelf so i can see the isopods without disturbing them or the humidity. The pattern on the lid will make it harder to cut holes of my desired size in, but i should manage ok.

Also i have a small issue. At least in the places ive looked, Armidilidium Maculatum seems to be a bit expensive and outside my budget, i may have to try a cheaper option. Any other good beginner isopods that also look cool and are easy to care for? I need one that is like a Zebra Danio, cheap, profilic, and hardy. I will definitely make mistakes with my first try of Isopods, but thats learning.

Also friday we had a tropical storm warning so i turned off the aquaclear, and moved its media into the 2gallon. i then setup another airstone on a Tetra Whisper 10 to provide more surface agitation, the fish loved it. Im thinking im might need to start running another air stone normally, i also noticed something weird.

This is the tetra 10 air pump:

IMG_0945.jpg.5edc389830bbeef7bdb85656192fe606.jpg

this is the Aquatop AP 50:

IMG_0946.jpg.959d4b96c467235071a32f2e875b1e68.jpg

Its a significant difference which is odd as the aquatop is a stronger pump. Ill have to do some work on my airstones tomorrow morning when i do maintenance, my air stone in the sponge filter is probably dirty.

Edited by GoofyGarra

Who wants Baby Brine Shrimp?

IMG_0953.jpg.5ee70818640958ffeb77a59da360f2eb.jpg

"Not Us" Said no platy ever.

IMG_0954.jpg.18f367cf66c08541070c2b080c475ad9.jpg

i used to hatch BBS weekly and i think it benefited the fish. Ive just been forgetting, but i want to get back into the practice.

I think im going to stick with the zebras, ill figure out how to make it work with the budget, or ill  just get them at a later date. There are 2places online that ive looked at that sell the zebras. both with shipping are around $40, id rather support the company closer to me as there will be less shipping stress that way, but ill see who has what in stock when i go to order in a few weeks.

Edited by GoofyGarra

i went to the LFS and just walked around for a while, i go some pictures of things that stood out to me though.

I can see why electric blue acaras are popular...

IMG_0979.jpg.dbc4c77ee1e1a5a4918ce6d7a62c8fd9.jpg

Discus:

IMG_0980.jpg.56f286134f839180d0c4febb453a0d58.jpgIMG_0982.jpg.5fa215b61d6e8f800154331a465bc30e.jpg

Betta highlights: (in cups sadly 😦)

IMG_0986.jpg.0341e97aaf6b335e8d8b7f06a6b17b27.jpgIMG_0985.jpg.8e369a6feac7fb4dd5fe235f8506b2d5.jpg

mystery snails (very healthy shells):

IMG_0988.jpg.c11e8f42e0ec629fbe5fd3bdf9c70f80.jpg

also one of my little buddies:

IMG_0984.jpg.89ded6a8fbcc15ce0ac6e17b83eb9b3c.jpg

There were other albino cories in other tanks, but i just knew these were some of my guys, not sure how i know, but i just know. Its a feeling, its hard to describe until you've experienced it yourself.

also ive noticed my water has a haze to it, and its not completely clear. Im trying to figure out whether this is tannins or lighting, or particulate. So ive replaced the biorings in my aquaclear for some filter floss. My issue with filter floss is how fast it clogs, but it works pretty well for fine filtration, so after a few hours ill see how the tank is looking. Not the most foolproof testing, but the best i can think of right now.

Edited by GoofyGarra