What do you call this color? Female betta

Epiphanaea

So I was at Petco and just looked at the betta fish, and they were mostly half-dead looking (if not fully dead), some were on a shelf at the back of a display looking forgotten, and, well, this one was still perky and she was staring at me.  

She was grayish for body color, and I thought she was going to turn blue in better conditions - nope, she’s peachy-pink!  

Is there a name for this color/pattern?  Apologies for the lousy pictures, she’s in constant motion.  1DF46B5B-6EC3-40D0-8AB8-B7AFBEB5BCF5.jpeg.807c624bd39fc105fa7976fba6266ec2.jpegDBE447F9-29FD-4E11-84AA-6EBF16FA99BB.jpeg.c34ed10f16cc21218ba8e7cf74229ca7.jpeg

• Love 2

She still seems to have waay more time ahead to get rid of bad care and stress effects imo. Hard to tell.

only your good care and time may tell. She probably looks peach because she is very pale due to bad care and stress.

Maybe this helps you in the future

9DF31C1E-4936-4085-90E1-F6B33C6440FF.jpeg.f9d91ee0b51d3561d136d2b0bf6ae0e0.jpeg

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 11:40 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

You were right on the money they are usually called 'Peach' or 'Coral' Although in my experience that color gives way to White. I had a peach betta in middle school named 'Peaches' but once he was out of a walmart cup and on a better diet he turned bright white

Huh - well, we’ll see!  She’s nearly translucent now, it would be wild if she turned a fully opaque color like that.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:29 PM, Odd Duck said:

She could also go copper.  Whatever color she becomes, I’m quite certain she’s much happier out of a cup.

This is what I have my fingers crossed for!  I’d planned on getting one of the ones with the teal or pewter body and the gold or copper fins, but, well, she was staring at me like a lone survivor of the zombie apocalypse.  

Guess I’ll just have to get another tank!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Had to completely break down her tank because of nitrites out of control (there was much, much more very fine detritus that had filtered down into the substrate than I realized.)  She spent the time a large glass vase that was previously used for housing/breeding scuds.  I say previously because *she ate all of them.*  And yet was still one pissed off fish.  

So she still has a shadow of fear stripes here - was not a fan of being moved between vase and tank.  Anyway, today’s color development: 0046F94F-B46A-4671-8264-DB8572DB075B.jpeg.abc118505521de0fa4329168af6ec94d.jpegFD8C63C9-28DF-4E8A-A1F1-6BB35515AE83.jpeg.c751cc19884b6b183559e5fe740d549a.jpeg

Edited by Epiphanaea
  • Love 3

I hope you keep posting pictures of her, I’ll be following this thread to look for them! She’s going to be lovely. I’m looking forward to getting my tank cycled so I can start introducing fish. I’m hoping to be able to keep a betta or two. 😁

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 8:51 AM, Lennie said:

She still seems to have waay more time ahead to get rid of bad care and stress effects imo. Hard to tell.

only your good care and time may tell. She probably looks peach because she is very pale due to bad care and stress.

Maybe this helps you in the future

9DF31C1E-4936-4085-90E1-F6B33C6440FF.jpeg.f9d91ee0b51d3561d136d2b0bf6ae0e0.jpeg

Excellent color map!!!

On 8/1/2023 at 8:48 PM, Epiphanaea said:

almond leaves made the water much darker

Good! She's going to be so much happier and healthier with those tannins (there are other studies that show indian almond leaves/catappa leave also boost the bettas' natural immune system response).

From what I can see, you have a copper metallic betta with black "lace" (a black edge to the scales and finnage). If this was only on the fins, it could indicate disease, but it looks like the edge of each scale also has it, which would make it a "lace" pattern on the betta. I'm not a judge though, so I could be mistaken.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 12:49 PM, Epiphanaea said:

She’s still fairly translucent, so I don’t think she’s done - unless that’s normal?  

It can take weeks to months to see the full color on some bettas.  Usually they color up quite a lot in the first few days to a couple weeks after getting into optimal conditions (just like yours is doing).  Then it can take quite a long time to get to their full color.  I can’t wait to see where this little beauty will finish.

• Like 2

Hi, lighting kind of bad on the video, however looks like a "mustard" Betta of some sort (not as bright as typical) and the tail appears to be what they call a half moon 

Could be a chocolate Betta if the fish is as brown as it appears in the video. Really hard to tell. 

She's super pretty!

• Like 1

She’s so beautiful!  Looking more chocolate than copper now.  Maybe a touch of mustard gas-like edge.  Very pretty!  I don’t even know what to call that color and didn’t imagine she would get that much color from the pale peach she was at first.  She’s gorgeous!

• Like 1