Canister Filter Users - tell me about them!

MattyM

I am working on a quote for a custom tank, just over 100 gallons (I've never ran anything over 30g), and the rimmed lip will be around 1.5" - I don't know of a HOB that will fit that rim (I was hoping to use a couple AC 110s since mine are dead silent). BUT, they won't fit, and I think for a heavily planted tank of this size, a canister might be better (inline CO2, better flow, etc). After more research, it seems some canister clips might be a tight fit on that too.

The one caveat is it has to be quiet, it won't be tucked into a cabinet or anything, and it's in my office where I work and do the occasional recording. 

I've been doing a lot of research, esp trying to find videos of canisters in use, and it seems the FX line can be pretty loud. I'm also frazzled at all the options, and just need some advise.

Anyways, I'll tank any recommendations on not only brands/models, but sizes as well as how to place the in/out flows.

Thank you!

image.png.576930b8504cf044a778ca155a04a11a.png

Edited by MattyM

For over a decade, I've been using Eheim canister filters. If I hear it, there's air in the impeller (after a cleaning) or something is wrong, such as a snail caught in the impeller.

My favorites are the 2215 or 2217. They're the classic, "tried and true" models, plus you can pick up more hose at a hardware store, instead of having to buy proprietary hoses from the manufacturer. I'm all about redundancy on my tanks, so I have 2 of the 2217 on a 135 gallon and 1 of the 2217 on a 55 gallon. Both tanks also have a large sponge filter for surface agitation, because I point the spray bars down.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

• Like 1

I have had very good luck with Fil Star.  I agree with Pepere, it's very easy to clean.  Do it once a month, takes me half an hour.  Big, easily accessed media baskets.  Pretty quiet, the loudest thing on my tank is the air stone.

It's not self-priming but to be honest, it's not a problem.  Maybe twice a year I have to fill the tubes by hand.

I get the love for ACs.  All the tank setups I've done for friends I've recommended ACS.  But I have a cabinet underneath the tank and I can hide the filter completely.  I can push the tank right up to the wall.  You can't see the tubes.  I think I'd only use an AC on a 29 or 20 gallon tank.

• Like 1

I was super scared to get into one myself, but when I decided to get my biggest tank, there was only that or sump - and that is a whole different ball game. The initial cost can be a bit painful, but they are really no that bad. The only hard part would be if you had to to any custom plumbing, but you will probably be able to get away with the included hardware on most. The stories about the horrors of cleaning them are hugely overexaggerated.

My FX6 is quieter than my air pump for my 10 gallon's sponge filters. But I can see how it might be a bit louder than somebody would want. Oase ones are great and very quiet. Eheim's are pretty good too and often outlast most others.

Call me an oddball, but I have had amazing luck with some of the AMOSIJOY ones from Amazon. I am pretty sure they are just a clone of another brand, but my 2 have been running for over a year with no problems, and was super cheap!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 2:12 PM, MattyM said:

rimmed lip will be around 1.5"

A lot of people cut the rim to make them fit, just throwing that out there.  The tidal 110 has about the biggest clearance I know of just due to the design, it's limit is 1-3/8" so just slightly under.  That filter comes with it's own issues, but yeah.... Canister time!

On 6/29/2023 at 2:12 PM, MattyM said:

I've been doing a lot of research, esp trying to find videos of canisters in use, and it seems the FX line can be pretty loud. I'm also frazzled at all the options, and just need some advise.

Anyways, I'll tank any recommendations on not only brands/models, but sizes as well as how to place the in/out flows.

I actually prefer the design of the x07 series over the FX.  The layout is just slightly easier.  I don't recall if there is one made for that size of a tank, but something to consider.  There's a lot of people running those on smaller tanks up to 75G.

• Like 1

If it is a custom made tank, I would consider having the tank drilled and put in bulkheads, and use them to connect any piping for a canister filter to. Doing that would allow you to put a weir in the tank for surface skimming abilities and could easily hide the pipes and possibly heater, unless you were to use one of the Oase bio-therm units with the heater built in. 

• Like 1

If you are looking for quieter, nothing says you have to use only 1 filter.  I use a fluval 307 canister and a fluval C4 HOB on my aquarium and my brother uses two 307 canisters (intakes on opposite sides of the aquarium) on his 75 gallon.  The 307 canister is very quiet, mine is not in a cabinet and sits in the livingroom about 10 feet from my TV so it would drive me nuts if it was loud.  One other advantage to using 2 smaller filters is that they are lighter and easier to clean.  Since my aquarium is in my living room I have to haul the canisters down stairs to use the utility sink to clean them out.  The smaller canisters are way easier to haul around (especially when you have a marginal back) and not make a mess throughout the house when it comes time to clean them.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:57 PM, Tazalanche said:

I'm all about redundancy on my tanks, so I have 2 of the 2217 on a 135 gallon

I researched this filter, watching several vids on setup and priming, and I'm really interested in it - it's about as basic as an AC HOB is. My tank will be just over 100 gallons, but only 16" deep - and 68" long. I'm wondering if you think one or two of these filters will be best, and how you might set them up? I'm also wondering if you've ever used PolyFill in it.

On 6/30/2023 at 1:06 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I actually prefer the design of the x07 series over the FX.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:58 AM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

If you are looking for quieter, nothing says you have to use only 1 filter.

I was pondering this filter as well, and having 2 filters might be a good idea as the bioload grows. 

Thanks all - really appreciate everyone's input!

On 6/30/2023 at 10:04 AM, MattyM said:

I researched this filter, watching several vids on setup and priming, and I'm really interested in it - it's about as basic as an AC HOB is. My tank will be just over 100 gallons, but only 16" deep - and 68" long. I'm wondering if you think one or two of these filters will be best, and how you might set them up? I'm also wondering if you've ever used PolyFill in it.

Yes. I've been using the polyfil stuff you get from the crafts section at Walmart, for quilting filler, since 2012, including with discus.

As to my setup, scroll down in this thread and it's explained, with a photo of the dual spraybars at one end to ensure consistent water flow.

Edited by Tazalanche
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went through the same thing, researching and researching and researching some more. I already have an Eheim Pro 4 250 for my 55 gallon tank. But I needed something bigger for my new 68 gallon and I'm always thinking about the next thing: could there be a better version out there that I didn't know about when I bought the Eheim. I kept reading all of the Top 5 official Wirecutter type reviews for canister filters but then there seemed to be no consensus when it came to user reviews. I was leaning towards the Oase Biomaster but then I found another Eheim Pro 4 that was like half the price and I thought, why am I doing all of this research when the product I've already been using for 3 years and am totally familiar with has been working without a hitch? In my experience, the Eheim is really quiet, easy to clean, and you don't need to prime it.

• Like 2

if custom made get a sump; a sump can be something like a 40b but the tank needs to be drilled and have overflow - jebao dcp pumps are whisper quiet.

I've had eheim 2017 and fluval fx6 and dislike both for various reasons. For anything less than 100 gallons i'd just do a matten filter (larger sponge with lots of water flow).

I’ve had an FX4 on my 90 for a couple years. Inside the cabinet it’s completely silent, except it does a “purge” to get air out of the system every 12 hours. This lasts about 5 minutes and is very loud. 

I got this one used and probably wouldn’t do another canister filter. They are a big pain to clean out and can be very pricey. For smaller tanks I’d just run a sponge filter and another bigger tank I’d get a sump. Also I didn’t notice it had an O ring broke when I first set it up and it flooded my house so there’s that…