Creature ID please

I am unsure, swimming style is for sure mosquito larvae, they do have larger head and translucent going to black body, depending on size and age of the larvae. Could also be very very small dragonfly larvae, but you know, as long as the betta will eat it, who cares 🙂

lifecycle.jpg?itok=V3mIA-Pa

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 8:24 AM, Guppysnail said:

Yay 😁 👏 Geppetto got to hunt a live food lunch. Happy Geppetto 🥰🤗

LOL.  Sometimes I give him live brine shrimp.  Apparently this critter here is a real treat. He's having a great time. If it is mosquito, that mosquito picked the WRONG TANK to lay their eggs in!  ☠️

• Haha 2

I'm not sure what it is either.  I saw something very similar in one of my shrimp tanks yesterday.  I fished one out and then saw a couple more, so I moved a few male guppies to the tank.  I suspect the critters aren't there any longer.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 7:15 PM, Ken Burke said:

Not sure what it was, other than “tasty snacks”

I tagged you because you have tubs, yes? I imagined mosquito larvae might get into the tubs. But anyways, tasty snack : confirmed!   Also when I checked back on the tank a few hours later, no sign of the larvae. Hmm, I wonder what happened? 🧐

• Haha 1

I’m new to fishkeeping so take what I say with a grain of salt but I saw somewhere the other day you can get some sort of worm in your tank. It was a video or something about hydra that said worms are different than hydra? I don’t remember. Just throwing that out there in case you know something I don’t. 

Second one reminds me of a tadpole. LOL

On 6/13/2023 at 10:52 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

I’m new to fishkeeping so take what I say with a grain of salt but I saw somewhere the other day you can get some sort of worm in your tank. It was a video or something about hydra that said worms are different than hydra? I don’t remember. Just throwing that out there in case you know something I don’t. 

Second one reminds me of a tadpole. LOL

I have hydra in the other thank. Think of a stalk with a claw. On the bottom of the stalk is like a suction cup. None of this description is scientifically accurate, LOL. Here is a video of my hydra. Often hydra are white, but mine are green because they eat algae and the green Repashy powder that I put in the water for my shrimps. They just catch particles that are floating around, and they don’t bother my critters.

There are various worms you can get in fish tanks. One is what I call a squiggle-swimmer because it swims like a snake. That’s only if I stir up the substrate too much. For the most part it stays in the substrate and actually eats the waste, so it’s great for the tank. It’s called a detritus worm. Here’s a video I made awhile ago for @nabokovfan87 because he likes worms.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

Definitely mosquito larva. Actually to be more precise, mosquito or possibly some other closely related fly. I wouldn't be surprised if a few midges and such would be nearly indistinguishable to us common layfolk. But all equally harmless and tasty. The second critter in your vid (the rounder one) is a mosquito pupa. Or other closely related... you get the idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1