What’s the closest aquatic plant I can get to this?

I saw this plant down in Southern Virginia on a job site and would love to have something like it in my tanks. The only thing I can think of with the broad leaves and colors ranging purples and reds to bright green is an Amazon flame sword. Anyone have anything else they could suggest? 

IMG_0433.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0434.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0435.jpeg

There are some other swords, like red melon sword and red rubin sword that also have leaves of varying color. Crypt pink flamingo and crypt petchii pink are somewhat similar. I feel like there has got to be some other crypt species that would fit the bill, but I can't think of any.

• Thanks 1

Are you looking for a mix of red green or do  you want specifically pinkish or deep red - there are a lot of different sword plants ranging from pinkish (mixed with green) to deep red mixed with green - folks mentioned melon - there is also red flame; ozelot and a few dozen hybrids. Rubin swords are more uniform in colour though with good lighting and get purplish; and there are some other sword plants with pink to purple leaves that are not mixed with green like kleiner prinz and purple aflame. Towards the pink direction there is echinodorus rose and oriental - generally speakingi think the red ones do better than the pink ones. Another one is echinodorus micracle. Too many to keep track.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@anewbie I’m looking for something that’s green and purple like those plants. Preferably something that has mixed colors instead of one leaf green and the other purple. I’ve got pink flamingos and scarlet temples for pink so I don’t need anymore unless the plant has that too.

All the swords I’ve seen are pretty much the same other then the ozelot and that one has what looks like spots and stripes of color  I’m looking for something that looks like that first pic in color and patterns. 

On 5/10/2023 at 4:56 AM, lmhicks101 said:

@anewbie I’m looking for something that’s green and purple like those plants. Preferably something that has mixed colors instead of one leaf green and the other purple. I’ve got pink flamingos and scarlet temples for pink so I don’t need anymore unless the plant has that too.

All the swords I’ve seen are pretty much the same other then the ozelot and that one has what looks like spots and stripes of color  I’m looking for something that looks like that first pic in color and patterns. 

In terms of pure colour the kleiner prinz is going to be pretty close but it requires a fair amount of light and it won't be streaked but solid wine colour; in terms of your description red flame or various ozelot hybrid are likely close but they are going to be mostly green with various amount of red streaks in the leaves; the amount depends on the exact hybrid (red flame and ozelot are closely related); but they all tend to have dark green with dark red (maybe too dark to your liking); also they stay reasonably small - after 5 years my red flame was never larger than 7 or 8 inches. red flame will grow larger  if grown submersed. The problem with these plants is they are not an 'exact' species and the label seems to be applied to a variety of similar plants so you never really know exactly how it will look until you plant it and give it a few years - also growing condition (light, co2, mineral content) will have a more noticeable impact on the exact appearance. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:36 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would check out some bucephalandra species and see what piques your interest.  There might be some that fit the bill, especially that leaf texture. 

I have a red and I really like it. I’ve been meaning to get more. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...