Nicolem

I rescued a betta from a neighbor that left it behind when he moved. I had it in a 5 gallon planted tank with a heater and sponge filter and all was well. My water parameters were just right. Then I moved him to a 10 gallon because I read they like more space. After that move, even though the water parameters were still good he got fin rot. It progressed quickly and he now looks like the photo shown (not only fin rot but fungus on body and gills). I went by Aquarium coop's suggestion of a 1 tablespoon aquarium salt to 1 gallon water treatment for the condition. All plants were removed first. I am on day 3 of this salt treatment and he is no better. He still is eating so I have hope for him. The ammonia went up to between 0 and .25 when I removed the plants. My question is this: Should I wait and see if he improves in the salt treatment or should I switch to the trio of meds that Aquarium coop recommends for this condition (Maracyn, Ick-x, Paraguard) and remove the high salt and put my plants back in? I don't want him to decline further. 

IMG_3473.jpeg

Edited by Nicolem

I would wait a bit longer to see if the salt is working, as long as he's not getting worse, it can take longer than three days. Regrowth will take some time, but if he's moving and eating then that's a good sign. Hope someone can give you a better answer soon, I'm not as well versed with treating sick fish.

Hi @Nicolem, welcome to the forum. The ammonia probably set you back some as far as the fin rot goes. Salt will help but if I were in your shoes I'd probably treat with Kanaplex instead if you can get it. I've had the best results with that medication and I'd hover over water parameters and do water changes before redosing if needed and use Prime or Fritz conditioner often. If all you have is Maracyn, I would use it. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Thanks so much! I suppose I could wait--he is not getting terribly worse but I see no actual improvement. His fins are so rotted that he is having trouble staying in the vertical swim position plus he just looks miserable. It seems the salt might be holding him steady but I would like to see improvement and him more comfortable, hence my question about switching to meds. I hope someone can help. He's a great fish!

I forgot to mention I did treat him with Kanaplex (twice). I did a total of 6 treatments of kanaplex in the water (not fed). This was when there were plants in the tank and the ammonia was zero. He actively declined while being treated with kanaplex. I have not tried other meds. 

Edited by Nicolem

@Nicolem just saw your post that kanaplex had no effect for you, which is unusual but I would then try the Maracyn as it treats gram positive bacteria, Kanaplex gram negative. You also have to consider the fish may have some other sort of illness that has caused the decline. 

I would not bomb him with the med trio as he is already weakened. I would start with the Maracyn and go from there, if you think the med trio is necessary I would follow ACO's recommendation for "weak fish" which uses one med trio product at a time. 

Eagle eye the parameters and use Prime or Fritz as necessary after water changes or when you need to leave meds in. When I QT fish I dose Prime every day. 

• Like 1

Ok, I think I will try the Maracyn even though Aquarium Coop recommends maybe giving the salt longer to work. I just hate seeing him compromised. Anyone have feelings one way or another about salt for treating a fish with problems like mine has versus meds? I thought it might be nice to get that salt lower and get my live plants back in for water quality and that's partly why I want to switch to meds. Can I do salt and Maracyn? How low does the salt level need to be for plants? Thanks--I am new to all this.

I think you need to take a look at what's best for you and the current situation. If it were me I would do a good sized water change and treat with Maracyn. That's me though. 

However, like I said before the ammonia spike may have set you back in treatment so maybe that's why you haven't so far seen results with the salt. Sometimes it takes patience. If he has shown any signs of improvement and he's already stressed from all the recent changes maybe it is best to keep hiim in the salt for now and wait and see. 

You have two very good options with the potential to help the fish. It's up to you to decide what you think might be best for him. 

We can also tag @Colu and see if there's anything we're missing

or @Chick-In-Of-TheSea who has recently dealt with some fin rot with a Betta as well. 

On 4/19/2023 at 5:25 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

or @Chick-In-Of-TheSea who has recently dealt with some fin rot with a Betta as well

It’s really not fin rot.. he bites his tail when he doesn’t like something. Ie: the other day I put on the green light (not the norm) and went to work. I thought it’s kinda dim and would be relaxing to him. Came home and found that he had chewed his tail. So, no green light.  Noted.  I use mild dose of salt in these situations and it grows back. Man, my dude is fussy. He likes what he likes. He gets upset with change.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:58 PM, Nicolem said:

Yes, I am going to keep on course for now. Thanks for advice!

You can use salt and maracyn what I would suggest is lowering the level of salt to 1 table spoon for 3 gallons and do a course of maracyn you can also add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties depending on the quality of the leaves you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect if you have some seeded filter media you could add to his tank that will help with small amount of ammonia your seeing 

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 3:39 PM, Nicolem said:

Anyone have feelings one way or another about salt for treating a fish with problems like mine has versus meds

I use meds when I can specifically identify an illness. If I can’t, I use salt and almond leaves or almond leaf “tea”

I also agree with @xXInkedPhoenixX about using one med vs trio. Just select one if you’re going with a med, and then monitor.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Thanks for asking! I stuck with the salt and he is doing ok. The fuzzy white fungus is gone but he had such bad fin rot he doesn't have ventral fins. And his eyes are completely cloudy. I won't feel good until I see those fins growing back and his eyes clear up. But for now things are steady at least. He has a great appetite!

• Like 2

Feeling unsure about my Betta today. How long should it take for the salt treatment to get him back to normal? He is still eating well and the fuzzy white fungus is gone but his eyes are still very cloudy and he spends most of his time hanging out on his side, which is really disturbing to see. I don't know if it's the lack of ventral fins preventing him from floating upright or if he feel really ill. Of course he is in a barren 10 gallon tank because my live plants can't tolerate the salt so that's probably stressful for him. How long can this go on? It is so hard to watch him float on his side. Here is a photo from today. I am hoping the ventral fins are growing back--they are whitish but it's not fungus.

IMG_3507.jpeg

@Nicolem, sorry you're not seeing major improvement. This is going to be a long road to recovery. He is very heavily damaged. Only you know what you see best so you make the decisions to change course in treatment when you feel the need. I rescued 4 Betta from a big box store in September of last year and it wasn't until December that I was finally able to close that thread. You might get some ideas for the time and effort it takes to rehab a Betta, I'd pay particular attention to "Red"'s thread in the story. It's long but documents rehabiliation.