How old is too old?

Monkeypoint

I bought my 55 gallon tank in October 2001 and it's been running without pause since then. Should I be concerned about its structural integrity? Do aquariums have a shelf life? I'm having nightmares about the potential for a Great Flood in my living room, not to mention the loss of aquatic life.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:01 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@Monkeypoint Is the tank itself showing signs of wear and tear that you’re concerned about?

None that I can see. There’s no leaking or bowing of any kind. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to worry about it but I’d read several posts about aquariums having a limited lifespan so now I’m worried about it bursting at the seams. 

On 3/10/2023 at 6:30 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@Monkeypoint For sure. Definitely something to be aware of. If you’re concerned about it, perhaps get a new tank at the next 50% off sale and just keep a close eye until then 

Well. Now that you mention it, I’ve been thinking of making an upgrade. When I bought the tank nearly 22 years ago, I don’t recall having many options as far as design. It didn’t seem like aesthetics was much of a consideration. Until recently, I had those plastic hoods with the fluorescent lights. Pretty unappealing.

I have my eye on a 68 gallon rimless from Buce. What’s your opinion on dimensions? They have 2 68 gallon tanks but one is longer and not as tall. I’ve read that the horizontal space is better for many species but there is much to be said for a smaller footprint, not to mention the cost difference. My Angelfish are basically everywhere, as are the Mollies. I have SAE that stay close to the bottom and then bottom feeders. So is it that critical? 

I’m also thinking about CO2….

It’s a huge chunk of change so I’ll have to start squirreling away. It would be a good summer project - something to look forward to and also I wouldn’t have to worry about fish sitting in buckets of cooling water while I’m setting everything up. 

@Monkeypoint Considering you mentioned Angels I would personally go for height over length. I don’t have absurdly tall Angels, but with them I will always provide more height. 

c02 is fun and doesn’t have to be crazy. I have it on several tanks but I’m not maxing out at 30ppm, simply just giving the plants a little boost and helping fight algae 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

You should always inspect the tanks for damage as you do your maintenance.  Things get scuffed, scraped, dinged, and cut into accidentally.  The best thing you can do is monitor it.  If you have an older tank, inspect it thoroughly at least once every 3-6 months.  Make sure it's setup correctly, low stress and on a pad of some kind.  Keep in mind that you can't inspect the bottom seam if you have substrate, but you can get a pretty good look at the rest of them.

smaller tanks have less of a warranty and less "care" into their production so to speak.  Under 55 is another gate/warranty window and above that is the longest warranty.

On 3/10/2023 at 4:30 PM, Monkeypoint said:

Well. Now that you mention it, I’ve been thinking of making an upgrade. When I bought the tank nearly 22 years ago, I don’t recall having many options as far as design. It didn’t seem like aesthetics was much of a consideration. Until recently, I had those plastic hoods with the fluorescent lights. Pretty unappealing.

I have my eye on a 68 gallon rimless from Buce. What’s your opinion on dimensions? They have 2 68 gallon tanks but one is longer and not as tall. I’ve read that the horizontal space is better for many species but there is much to be said for a smaller footprint, not to mention the cost difference. My Angelfish are basically everywhere, as are the Mollies. I have SAE that stay close to the bottom and then bottom feeders. So is it that critical? 

I’m also thinking about CO2….

It’s a huge chunk of change so I’ll have to start squirreling away. It would be a good summer project - something to look forward to and also I wouldn’t have to worry about fish sitting in buckets of cooling water while I’m setting everything up. 

I also have my eye on one of the 68 gallon tanks by UN Systems. I am leaning toward the 90U, which is the more "standard" shape @ 35"x22"x22." There a a somewhat LFS that sells them and I've gotten to check them out in person...they have CO2 and groovy aquascaping and I love them! In my house, tho, I actually like large numbers of tacky plastic aquarium "furniture" with java ferns and anubias wired on, so it wouldn't look nearly as cool, but still -- I want one.

On 3/10/2023 at 9:34 PM, lefty o said:

the key for me is, if the silicone is still pliable, the odds are good its still safe to use. thats my story and im sticking to it. my 120 is 5 or 6 years older than your tank, and still holding water.

On 3/10/2023 at 9:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You should always inspect the tanks for damage as you do your maintenance.  Things get scuffed, scraped, dinged, and cut into accidentally.  The best thing you can do is monitor it.  If you have an older tank, inspect it thoroughly at least once every 3-6 months.  Make sure it's setup correctly, low stress and on a pad of some kind.  Keep in mind that you can't inspect the bottom seam if you have substrate, but you can get a pretty good look at the rest of them.

smaller tanks have less of a warranty and less "care" into their production so to speak.  Under 55 is another gate/warranty window and above that is the longest warranty.

On 3/10/2023 at 10:14 PM, DeadStang said:

I also have my eye on one of the 68 gallon tanks by UN Systems. I am leaning toward the 90U, which is the more "standard" shape @ 35"x22"x22." There a a somewhat LFS that sells them and I've gotten to check them out in person...they have CO2 and groovy aquascaping and I love them! In my house, tho, I actually like large numbers of tacky plastic aquarium "furniture" with java ferns and anubias wired on, so it wouldn't look nearly as cool, but still -- I want one.

Me too! That’s going to be the one. I want the whole enchilada: tank, stand, CO2, carpet plants. 

• Like 1

I have a 75 and 55 that are 28 and 36 years old. I have friend that has one that is 50+. As long as there is no defects in the glass like a deep scratch it should be ok. As for the silicone if it hasn’t been dried out in that time which it sounds like it hasn’t I would not worry much. If you are worried about the silicone just redo that.

• Love 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:59 PM, rockfisher said:

Tanked has a point about scraping the silicon. I never go to the edge of glass. I let the corners go.

I think every once in a while, I spaced out and got too close to the edge on this one side. Here are a few pictures and a detail shot of what I think is a Nerite egg pod.

silicon_aquarium09.jpg.4a2440c515b668b059edae9ff8188b49.jpg

Less zoomed in you can see the part that's nicked isn't too close to the edge.

silicon_aquarium04.jpg.7958098f3f00a3a102d4cbd03130b45b.jpg

silicon_aquarium01.jpg.a733e1f613aa9b3508c8ca91b9691719.jpg

Nerite egg pod?

Edited by Monkeypoint