What's your best algae eaters ?

Flying fox 6523

I've been trying to figure out what is the best algae eaters to put in a 75 gal Aquarium 
that won't destroy plant's or get too big. I have 6 albino Cory's but they are more into 
breeding than keeping the tank clean, so I'm wondering what algae eaters will work.

I don't want something that's going to over take the aquarium like guppies or shrimp 
I've had guppies & they are prolific in breeding, I'm not really into shrimp for the job 
but more into some kind of fish that won't eat or destroy my plants, that's the main thing.

So what would you suggest me getting? I've been watching videos on this subject but 
the more I watch the more confused it makes me, so I thought you could help me with 
what your thoughts & experience has or is with algae eaters, Thank You for your help ❤

Nerite snails. They are small and have a tiny bioload. Some of them literally won't eat anything but algae. They cannot breed in freshwater. I know you said fish but they really are the best for algae by far and done come with the issues other snails come with. They also come in cool colors and patterns tbh. 

• Like 3

On 2/24/2023 at 7:55 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

. . . I have 6 albino Cory's but they are more into 
breeding than keeping the tank clean
, so I'm wondering what algae eaters will work.

I don't want something that's going to over take the aquarium like guppies or shrimp 
I've had guppies & they are prolific in breeding, I'm not really into shrimp for the job 
but more into some kind of fish that won't eat or destroy my plants, that's the main thing.

So what would you suggest me getting? I've been watching videos on this subject but 
the more I watch the more confused it makes me, so I thought you could help me with 
what your thoughts & experience has or is with algae eaters, Thank You for your help ❤

Corys eat very little, if any, algae.  Really the only "cleaning" they do is to eat fish food that gets past the other fish in the tank and settles to the bottom.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 5:55 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I've been trying to figure out what is the best algae eaters to put in a 75 gal Aquarium 
that won't destroy plant's or get too big. I have 6 albino Cory's but they are more into 
breeding than keeping the tank clean, so I'm wondering what algae eaters will work.

otocinclus and siamese algae eater, I have found to be the best algae eaters.

• Like 2

Amanos are up there for eating various algae, and definitely nerite snails as mentioned above. I personally have not seen my mystery snails eat algae, they tend to clean up any leftover fish food or the occasional veggie I've dropped in. I had some mollies that ate bits of plant matter too..

Having floating plants covering 75%+ of my surfaces has reeeeally helped with algae in my aquariums in my experience. 

• Like 1

I have to say while I adore otos; sae and more so an army of panda gara are superior at eating algae (esp bba which oto won't touch). I find oto are more likely to eat biofilm than actual algae. An army of mystery snails can do a pretty good job (esp when they keep doubling their numbers every few hours); like oto i find bn eat a lot of biofilm and only so so algae. The only problem i have with panda gara are (a) hard or impossible to breed at home (b) fight like cat and dogs now and then (c) are rather aggressive eaters and can annoy more passive fishes.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:40 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Nerite snails. They are small and have a tiny bioload. Some of them literally won't eat anything but algae. They cannot breed in freshwater. I know you said fish but they really are the best for algae by far and done come with the issues other snails come with. They also come in cool colors and patterns tbh. 

Yea I was thinking about them so I put them on a list 
for when I go to the fish store next week I have  a few 
things on my list like Otto's & panda garra's.

Thank You for that info.❤

On 2/24/2023 at 12:41 PM, JJenna said:

Amano shrimp...they have particular breeding needs so you won't have to worry about their population exploding, Otocinclus...they are all over the glass and plants in my tank, Hill stream Loaches. 

Like what kind of breeding needs? I have  Otto's on a list for when I 
go to the go to the fish store next week, I tried hill stream Loches
they died within 24 hrs. of getting them so that's out.

Thank you for your info  ❤

On 2/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, anewbie said:

I have to say while I adore otos; sae and more so an army of panda gara are superior at eating algae (esp bba which oto won't touch). I find oto are more likely to eat biofilm than actual algae. An army of mystery snails can do a pretty good job (esp when they keep doubling their numbers every few hours); like oto i find bn eat a lot of biofilm and only so so algae. The only problem i have with panda gara are (a) hard or impossible to breed at home (b) fight like cat and dogs now and then (c) are rather aggressive eaters and can annoy more passive fishes.

Yea I watched some videos on the panda gara & they seem pretty simple fish 
1 they won't breed like guppies & 2 their small & active that fills my points.
Thank You for the info it's well appreciated.❤

On 2/24/2023 at 11:57 AM, CrashBandit05 said:

Amanos are up there for eating various algae, and definitely nerite snails as mentioned above. I personally have not seen my mystery snails eat algae, they tend to clean up any leftover fish food or the occasional veggie I've dropped in. I had some mollies that ate bits of plant matter too..

Having floating plants covering 75%+ of my surfaces has reeeeally helped with algae in my aquariums in my experience. 

I have val clippings floating but I'm thinking about getting 
some guppy grass as a floating plant, Thank you for the info. ❤

On 2/24/2023 at 11:47 AM, DiscusLover said:

otocinclus and siamese algae eater, I have found to be the best algae eaters.

Otto's I'm thinking about & panda Garra is another 1 I'm looking into  
Thank you for your info ❤

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:47 AM, JettsPapa said:

Corys eat very little, if any, algae.  Really the only "cleaning" they do is to eat fish food that gets past the other fish in the tank and settles to the bottom.

Yea so I've noticed, that's why I'm looking for something else.
Thank You for letting me know  ❤

On 2/24/2023 at 11:45 AM, Theplatymaster said:

@Flying fox 6523why do you want algae eaters?

are you having algae problems? or is it a just in case?

I'm getting a slight start of it, but I'm looking for something 
that can or will keep it in check cause I like watching my fish.

Idk your water parameters, but considering you are planning to add nerites, +1 to mystery snails.

Not the best algae eater, but they are the best clean up crew member I've kept so far. They eat decent amount of algae, but they find everything that would potentially foul the water or cause unsightly look, like decaying plant matter, any dead creature in the tank, finding uneaten food particles, and so on.

they just require blanched veggies and snellos tho. So you should keep them fed, and include calcium in their diet. 

And they have so much character.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

that can or will keep it in check cause I like watching my fish.

ah, that makes sense.

I know there is not much information on Panda Garras on the internet, if you decide to get some (no pressure, get what you want) feel free to Private Message me about their care.

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:23 AM, Ninjoma said:

I think I agree with otos being the best. My honorable mentions go to reticulated hillstream loaches and bristelnose plecos. Mystery snails are also decent. 

I'm making a list of what others have to say about the 1's they have 
so I can take it with me to the fish store to ask questions on each.
Thank You for your help.❤

On 2/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, Theplatymaster said:

ah, that makes sense.

I know there is not much information on Panda Garras on the internet, if you decide to get some (no pressure, get what you want) feel free to Private Message me about their care.

"feel free to Private Message me about their care." Thank You for that 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, Lennie said:

Idk your water parameters, but considering you are planning to add nerites, +1 to mystery snails.

Not the best algae eater, but they are the best clean up crew member I've kept so far. They eat decent amount of algae, but they find everything that would potentially foul the water or cause unsightly look, like decaying plant matter, any dead creature in the tank, finding uneaten food particles, and so on.

they just require blanched veggies and snellos tho. So you should keep them fed, and include calcium in their diet. 

And they have so much character.

"include calcium blanched veggies" what kind do I need to get for them ?

On 2/24/2023 at 10:45 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

"include calcium blanched veggies" what kind do I need to get for them ?

They tend to be individuals! Everyone likes different stuff, but stuff you can try are collard greens, spinach, peas, green beans, broccolis, carrots, sweet potato, pumkin and so on. The key is them being organic and not including pesticides, peel any if you can just in case, and make sure they don't include salts and additives.

Making snello is very easy and a one time thingy. you may find plenty of recipes online. Here I'm sharing two for you:

https://floridamysterysnails.com/2018/05/30/how-to-make-snello-snail-jello/

When you make a batch, it is basically just keep in freezer and drop whenever thingy. I keep feeding my rabbits and mysterys nonstop.

They also enjoy algae wafers and Hikari crab cuisine for extra calcium.

Don't worry, they are not hard to keep tbh. And they are full of characters. A joy to watch 🙂 And they come with so many colors!

Here is a guide I believe that may help you:

Edited by Lennie

On 2/24/2023 at 2:54 PM, Lennie said:

They tend to be individuals! Everyone likes different stuff, but stuff you can try are collard greens, spinach, peas, green beans, broccolis, carrots, sweet potato, pumkin and so on. The key is them being organic and not including pesticides, peel any if you can just in case, and make sure they don't include salts and additives.

Making snello is very easy and a one time thingy. you may find plenty of recipes online. Here I'm sharing two for you:

https://floridamysterysnails.com/2018/05/30/how-to-make-snello-snail-jello/

When you make a batch, it is basically just keep in freezer and drop whenever thingy. I keep feeding my rabbits and mysterys nonstop.

They also enjoy algae wafers and Hikari crab cuisine for extra calcium.

Don't worry, they are not hard to keep tbh. And they are full of characters. A joy to watch 🙂 And they come with so many colors!

Here is a guide I believe that may help you:

Thank you, I really appreciate this. I will watch them. ❤

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 1:56 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Like what kind of breeding needs?

I haven't studied it thoroughly, but the fry needs brackish water to survive. When Mom is put into another tank the salinity should be 17-35 ppt. After the larvae have hatched, move Mom out of tank to prevent her from eating the larvae. After a month you drop the salinity down to 15 ppt. Feed them brewers yeast 4-8x/day which is 30-120 microns as they are so tiny. Size and amount depends on size. Avoid fouling the water column with too much yeast.   When they are no longer larval stage you can feed them small pieces of algae wafers and other foods you would normally give to shrimp. They take 3-5 months to reach maturity

On 2/24/2023 at 1:45 PM, Pepere said:

I don’t know that I would call them the best Algae eaters, but American Flag Fish are pretty good Algae eaters eating types that other fish won’t.

And unlike Otocinculus you dont have to fret if there is no Algae in the tank.  Flag fish will happily feed any food you choose to ad to the tank.

I enjoy keeping them…

What do you keep them with? I wanna add one to my community but I've never kept them at all.

• Like 1