Digital test kits

zpayne10

Has anyone found reliable digital test kits for the freshwater hobby? I know Hanna makes a bunch for saltwater, but I can't seem to find anything for freshwater.

I'm red/green colorblind so reading tests like the API nitrate test is darn near impossible (not to mention lighting changes how the colors look). 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 5:34 PM, Theplatymaster said:

@zpayne10 i imagine that most parameters for saltwater, will test similar to freshwater.

people deal with PH in saltwater

people deal with nitrogenous compounds in saltwater.

@Biotope Biologistyou are a marine biologist, can you confirm this^

If I could use the tests "designed" for saltwater but under freshwater conditions, I'd be quite the happy camper.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:28 PM, zpayne10 said:

Has anyone found reliable digital test kits for the freshwater hobby? I know Hanna makes a bunch for saltwater, but I can't seem to find anything for freshwater.

I'm red/green colorblind so reading tests like the API nitrate test is darn near impossible (not to mention lighting changes how the colors look). 

I use Hannah  instruments hi 700  low range ammonia checker very accurate for freshwater  and I use a blue lab digital pH pen accurate to 0.1 good quality pen for price I would stay away from cheap pH pen's on Amazon 

• Like 1

Tetra has an application for reading 6 in 1 test strips. 

It expects you to match them in order before and after testing the water, and it gives you the results.

In my experience, it does not work perfect. Especially for nitrate and nitrite readings. I obviously see pure white on nitrite and it shows nitrite meanwhile I obviously see pink color on nitrate readings but it says 0. 

I would not solely depend on its results but at least something good to have in case it helps you by any means.

JBL also has proscape, but I haven't used it myself. You can look for its comments as well.

I got Hanna checkers for Nitrates and Phosphates a month ago or so and really like them. (I found one for freshwater the other one is marine, but it works just fine.)

If you look around online, you will find good deals on the reagent powder and also kits.

Last Nitrate check on a 40B was 0.11ppm and the 20T was 0.06ppm.

I will never go back to test strips or the API test kits.

Next up will be a Hanna checker for PH.

I don`t check for anything else.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 9:39 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

I got Hanna checkers for Nitrates and Phosphates a month ago or so and really like them. (I found one for freshwater the other one is marine, but it works just fine.)

If you look around online, you will find good deals on the reagent powder and also kits.

Last Nitrate check on a 40B was 0.11ppm and the 20T was 0.06ppm.

I will never go back to test strips or the API test kits.

Next up will be a Hanna checker for PH.

I don`t check for anything else.

Are you using the marine version of the nitrates from Hanna?

On 2/23/2023 at 10:50 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Yes.

The nitrate kit is complete where the phosphate kit isn`t.

Phosphate kit is for freshwater.

028.JPG

032.JPG

Do you find it's pretty easy to calculate the dilution factor? My understanding is the nitrate test is for the low range (up to 5ppm), but they have a dilution equation to track up to 50ppm.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:55 AM, zpayne10 said:

This isn't a cost issue, it's a colorblind issue that makes the API tests difficult to read 🙂

I know, what i'm saying is that if the digital tests are too expensive, you could take a sample to your LFS whenever you go and have them read the tests. Just a suggestion if the Hannas are out of your budget. 

On 2/22/2023 at 6:28 PM, zpayne10 said:

I see colors just fine* and I still poll everyone in the house when doing parameter testing! "Yeah, but which shade of orange is that...?"

*This weirdly feels like I'm bragging

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:15 PM, zpayne10 said:

Do you find it's pretty easy to calculate the dilution factor?

Yep, one packet for one 10ml of water.

Just checked phosphates in my 40B and they are 0.69ppm.

Nitrates on the 40B are 0.05ppm.

Hanna checkers aren't cheap but I feel they are a lot better than other tests kits.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m not sure how to do it but last year there was a thread that explained how to use the greyscale on your phone to read tests for those with color blindness. 

Holding the test next to it's test card take a photo then convert it to grey scale using the phone camera settings.

Works with both test strips and liquid tests gets easier with practice.

Can help anyone some of those colours are tricky. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/23/2023 at 3:57 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Holding the test next to it's test card take a photo then convert it to grey scale using the phone camera settings.

Works with both test strips and liquid tests gets easier with practice.

Can help anyone some of those colours are tricky. 

This is great! I test, of course, but I'm never entirely convinced that I'm reading the tests right, so this should help a lot.

• Like 1