URGENT! guppies died right after waterchange

evonner

@Colu Can you please join my thread.

@The endler guy

Last Saturday I told you all that I restocked my 10 gallon guppy tank and stocked my cycled new 29 gallon tank. I bought all the fish and snails at Petsmart on Thursday. They get their new shipments in on Thursdays. Some of the tanks had black X's on them, those tanks had ICH and the stock in them could not be sold. Ok, that bothered me but I still purchured some non-Ich infected guppies and platies.

Sunday night I noticed the biggest guppy hanging by the HOB outflow just wading there. So I continued to monitor him. I noticed the smallest guppy in the tank bullying him. He began to hide in the plants above the gravel. I do a water change every week on this tank and it was not due until 2/1/23. So I tested the water. My pH was 8.2 (norm), ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates 40. I did a water change due to the nitrate level. After the water change he stopped behaving the way he was as above.

In that tank I run an HOB and a bio-sponge with an airstone inside. A few hours later he was acting weird again. I figured he was stressed from being shipped to Petsmarts and the bullying but as a precaution I ran another airline tube with an airstone to the tank, I baffled the output and added a cave for him to have more hiding places in case it was the bullying. When I woke up this morning he was still hoovering on the bottom. I ran some water tests, added aquarium salt to my quarantine tank because I was going to move him there. Well he died before I could get him there. I went back to Petsmart (Monday) to replace him and decided I wanted to get some more Platies. The tanks that I bought these fish from last Thursday are now being treated for ICH today. Today, I purchased 3 Platies and they replaced my dead guppy with a new onr, not of same kind because that tank now has ICH.

So, my grand freaking plan..... The fish I got yesterday went into the quarantine tank with the aquarium salt. I dosed it earlier with 2T for 5 gallons. I treated the 29 gallon and 10 gallon tanks for ICH. I dont see ICH but it probably too soon. I am gradually increasing the temp in all tanks and all tanks are running extra airstones. The 10 & 29 gallon have an HOB, bio-sponge with airstone inside plus Im running an extra line to each with an airstone. The only fish disease I ever had to deal with is finrot and the betta was given to me with finrot and I tried to save him. So, the precautions that I am taking, does anyone have any other suggestions that I may have over looked?

All the fish are behaving normal thus far.

It's a combination of things  they arrived on Thursday at petsmart weren't quarantine and possibly put in tanks with already sick fish and  immediately sold and bought back to your tank all that stress can weaken a fish's immune system you can get delayed mortality syndrome were fish die hours or days later due to all that stress or develope secondary infection did you use a water dechlorinator when you did an initial water change also if this is your only LFS I would consider ordering fish online in the future if I go into a LFS and they have multiple tanks under going treatment and they don't quarantine that's a red flag for me I wouldn't buy fish from them it's to much of a risk  @evonner

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:49 PM, evonner said:

Some of the tanks had black X's on them, those tanks had ICH and the stock in them could not be sold. Ok, that bothered me but I still purchured some non-Ich infected guppies and platies

The thing about the big box stores is that their aquarium systems are all interconnected. They do UV sterilization but that's not 100%. So if there's a tank with ick it's really likely that it's in all the tanks.

ACO recommends AquaHuna for ordering fish online. But they only sell guppies in increments of ten.

• Thanks 1

Today I have to treat the tank's for the second dose for ICH. I also ordered some Fluval Ammonia Remover chemical media. That is arriving today. I have never used this and it's not in place of water changes. I'm not sure how many used media like this, I never have.

I run custom media in my HOB filters. It's layered in this order from bottom to top: Coarse mechanical sponge, Poly fill, Bulk filter media, then bio-max. I also have coarse pre-filter sponges on the intakes.

Chemical media should go on top of or in front of the bio-max so that the water flows through the chemical media last, coming out of the out flow, right? So the ammonia remover media is chemical and after I dose for ICH today, I have to do a water change in 48 hrs and add carbon. How should I do this? My filters are pretty full already.

On 3/1/2023 at 3:54 AM, evonner said:

Chemical media should go on top of or in front of the bio-max so that the water flows through the chemical media last, coming out of the out flow, right? So the ammonia remover media is chemical and after I dose for ICH today, I have to do a water change in 48 hrs and add carbon. How should I do this? My filters are pretty full already.

Chemical would be last thing water passes before it goes out of the filter. Normally.

While you're running meds make sure it's safe to use chemical media.

On 3/1/2023 at 3:54 AM, evonner said:

I have to do a water change in 48 hrs and add carbon. How should I do this? My filters are pretty full already.

You can remove some fine sponge if you're running carbon. Carbon would go after ceramics.

Same as other chemical medias.

Carbon is chemical. Ammonia Remover is chemical. I know that I can't run the carbon until the treatment is complete, but I can't find any information regarding whether it's ok to use the ammonia Remover while I'm treating. Maybe it's better just to wait until it's time run the carbon.  Idk.