Plant recomendations

On 2/10/2023 at 11:56 AM, Scaperoot said:

I'm using a Hygger 20W full spectrum light. Substrate is black blasting sand, and tank is low tech. I dose Easy green weekly.  

Yeah that would be why you didnt have any luck with Monte Carlo or S Repens and would advise against hair grass. My personal recommendation would be crypt lucens or crypt parva or both! Also I would invest in some root tabs if at all possible.

The light is pretty darn weak - i'd get something a bit stronger - closer to 40 watts - anyway as for plants - i have crypts in my front - these are nurii rosen:

cf.jpg.8058e7ff3f3d703afa6197d93c03a67f.jpg

If the light is strong the leaves will stay near the bottom. I have a wenditti on the other side (I think it is wenditti) that is around 14 inches high and a pink jacobi that is a bit taller.

another nice crypt is tiger spiralis (the red leaves you see above).

Edited by anewbie

On 2/10/2023 at 2:23 PM, Scaperoot said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure when I'll be able to buy a better light, but I'll try Crypts. I forgot to mention that I also use root tabs. 

In my opinion the light is fine for what you are growing judging from your pic everything seems to be doing well and adding crypts will not require more light so I wouldnt worry about that.

Lobelia Cardinalis and rotala indica 'bonsai' are good mid growing plants and could do well with your light. AR mini/rosanervig would add some red to the tank.

You can also try hydrocotyle tripartita, but you would need to train the plant to grow low by constant trimming in the beginning.

I have used the hyger 50W light on my 20 long and it grew plants well. Not sure how well the 20w will do in a 40B but you can still try.