Aphyosemion Striatum red striped killifish

Slick_Nick

I have been obsessed with killifish lately and yesterday I received my first 2 pair of Aphyosemion Striatum or red striped killifish. They are even more perfect in person and I can’t wait to hopefully breed them! My gf received them yesterday while I was at work and got them settled in for me so I didn’t get to see them until I woke up for work this morning. Got a pic of one of the males and females 😍62B91461-1DD1-41A7-B6E1-C78AC5A6C7B5.jpeg.908b59c3eca40697c7c212727060985c.jpegF3675D87-F81D-47CB-9779-61CB8DB9EAC3.jpeg.6afcb79b0a6864da43b4e2b368d81ab6.jpeg27FF3149-E8F0-4D1A-880D-128345C281BA.jpeg.100651aa3977affa93c045948c305660.jpeg8B883C72-1696-4D83-905F-3E4C54C98BF2.jpeg.12dee3a29364dc984a3d372b3b93feef.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 11

On 1/26/2023 at 8:33 PM, Slick_Nick said:

Haha at least on one tank so you can keep them!

Maybe one day! 😄 I've never seen these in my lfs before tho. I mostly see Panchax and clowns, from killis. 

Unrelated question, but do you use co2 in your tanks? All types of plant colors in the background really complimented their look! 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:40 AM, Lennie said:

Maybe one day! 😄 I've never seen these in my lfs before tho. I mostly see Panchax and clowns, from killis. 

Unrelated question, but do you use co2 in your tanks? All types of plant colors in the background really complimented their look! 

Yeah I actually ordered them online from the wet spot! First time ordering fish online and so worth it I got exactly what I wanted. As for co2 this aquarium does not have it I actually just set this tank up a couple months ago specifically to get these guys. It’s been slow growing compared to my tank with co2 but I’m enjoying not trimming plants constantly! I’ve only trimmed the stems once so far

On 1/26/2023 at 10:53 AM, billango said:

I love killis too and am glad to see another killi keeper/breeder!

My first ones and definitely won’t be my last! What types do you have?!

• Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 9:00 PM, Slick_Nick said:

As for co2 this aquarium does not have it I actually just set this tank up a couple months ago specifically to get these guys. It’s been slow growing compared to my tank with co2 but I’m enjoying not trimming plants constantly! I’ve only trimmed the stems once so far

Great to hear. I've just planted those reddish/pinkish plants you have in the background to my new tank. But I was worried due to not having co2. I assume the ones you have are some rotala, ludwigia and Alternanthera?

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:00 AM, Slick_Nick said:

My first ones and definitely won’t be my last! What types do you have?!

I've been obsessing collecting the last few months. I have fundulopanchax gresensi, norman lampeyes, epiplatys roloffi, aplocheilus blockii, diapteron cyanostictum, diapteron georgiae, and aphanius mento kirks... So a lot of non annuals. I got a bunch of these from an auction right before winter and in general this is my first year with killis but I'm obsessed now. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:05 AM, Lennie said:

Great to hear. I've just planted those reddish/pinkish plants you have in the background to my new tank. But I was worried due to not having co2. I assume the ones you have are some rotala, ludwigia and Alternanthera?

You nailed it! The rotala is called narrow leaf sp red it’s the only rotala I’ve had that actually turns a nice pink/red for me and I’ve tried many lol. Even without co2 it’s a very nice pink color. Alternanthera does well for me without co2 I don’t have it in my aquarium with co2 because my amano shrimp will eat it lol. And then I have some lugwigia as well that you can’t really see because I trimmed the tops and removed the bottoms that were all emersed growth 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:13 AM, billango said:

I've been obsessing collecting the last few months. I have fundulopanchax gresensi, norman lampeyes, epiplatys roloffi, aplocheilus blockii, diapteron cyanostictum, diapteron georgiae, and aphanius mento kirks... So a lot of non annuals. I got a bunch of these from an auction right before winter and in general this is my first year with killis but I'm obsessed now. 

Love it! You already have quite the collection goin! Have you found any of those types to be more difficult to keep at all?

On 1/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, Slick_Nick said:

Love it! You already have quite the collection goin! Have you found any of those types to be more difficult to keep at all?

Nothing overly difficult for me so far. None of them have been picky eaters. The aphanius mento is the only one of those that prefer harder water which I had to adjust for since I have softer water; the males also pick on each other. The Diapterons prefer cooler water (like mid to high 60s) which is a little more difficult to maintain in the summer, but otherwise no issues. The lampeyes and gresensi I have in community tanks and they get along with everyone else just fine as well.  

• Like 2

This is on my short list for fish to get next. Such a great looking fish! I was worried that their pictures online were setting unrealistic expectations for their color but it looks like it lives up to them.

I have so many question...

How do you plan to breed them?

Are they the only fish in your tank?

I see a shrimp, have they shown any interest in hunting them?

On 1/26/2023 at 9:53 AM, billango said:

I love killis too and am glad to see another killi keeper/breeder!

Woo part of the killi club! I know there are a few of us @Patrick_G and @Fish Folk also raise some Notho species.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:40 AM, Lennie said:

I've never seen these in my lfs before tho. I mostly see Panchax and clowns, from killis.

Yeah, looking at the fish lists of what ACO gets they basically only ever get clowns, occasionally Flagfish, and on rare occasions they'll get something like an A Australe.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, JJenna said:

Jelly here...killis have been at the top of my list since the beginning, but I wanted to make sure my tank is mature. Can't wait to read about your adventures in breeding. 

Depending on the species, the natural habitat for many of them is muddy puddles. That's where they get their most famous traits. They are colorful so that the females can find them and be impressed. They jump because they're taking their changes and looking for another puddle with other fish to make with. Their shorter lifespan is because normally their pools or streams dry up regularly.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:33 AM, billango said:

Nothing overly difficult for me so far. None of them have been picky eaters. The aphanius mento is the only one of those that prefer harder water which I had to adjust for since I have softer water; the males also pick on each other. The Diapterons prefer cooler water (like mid to high 60s) which is a little more difficult to maintain in the summer, but otherwise no issues. The lampeyes and gresensi I have in community tanks and they get along with everyone else just fine as well.  

That is great to hear! Have you had any breeding activity from any of them? Or have you tried setting anything up to breed them? 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:42 AM, Schuyler said:

This is on my short list for fish to get next. Such a great looking fish! I was worried that their pictures online were setting unrealistic expectations for their color but it looks like it lives up to them.

I have so many question...

How do you plan to breed them?

Are they the only fish in your tank?

I see a shrimp, have they shown any interest in hunting them?

Woo part of the killi club! I know there are a few of us @Patrick_G and @Fish Folk also raise some Notho species.

Yeah, looking at the fish lists of what ACO gets they basically only ever get clowns, occasionally Flagfish, and on rare occasions they'll get something like an A Australe.

Hey Schuyler I have two plans to try and breed them. Without explaining into great detail I have moss that I either plan to add in their tank and then remove to another empty 5g I have set up. Or move a pair to the 5g with the moss let them breed and return them to this tank. They are the only fish in the tank I’ve heard you can possibly breed them in the same tank as the parents I have plenty of moss I can add for cover. I saw one go for a smaller shrimp but the shrimp was too quick I imagine some babies will get picked off but they aren’t specifically targeting the shrimp

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, Slick_Nick said:

That is great to hear! Have you had any breeding activity from any of them? Or have you tried setting anything up to breed them? 

The lampeyes were the first thing I had breed which is what got me into killis. they were super easy and I just randomly saw fry one day. Both they and the gresensi have been laying eggs in my water lettuce which gets really long and dense because I somewhat overfeed my community tank... I have frogbit that grows in that tank as well that I occasionally might find an egg in, but they love laying eggs in the water lettuce. Some of the other fish I have I got as eggs or juvies so no breeding there yet. And some others Ive been trying to see if a hands off approach with moss or other denser plants in a pretty looking tank would eventually yield me fry, but I haven't found any so far so I'm going to take the blockii tank this weekend and strip it and do the traditional green yarn mop method and see how that works. I also might play around with temps because I noticed for the lampeyes at least, if I change the temperature around even within their acceptable temp range, it can still affect the spawning activity. at least for me with those fish. In general though I've been pretty passive and probably have missed some eggs in the tanks I've been waiting to see if fry would appear in. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:10 PM, billango said:

The lampeyes were the first thing I had breed which is what got me into killis. they were super easy and I just randomly saw fry one day. Both they and the gresensi have been laying eggs in my water lettuce which gets really long and dense because I somewhat overfeed my community tank... I have frogbit that grows in that tank as well that I occasionally might find an egg in, but they love laying eggs in the water lettuce. Some of the other fish I have I got as eggs or juvies so no breeding there yet. And some others Ive been trying to see if a hands off approach with moss or other denser plants in a pretty looking tank would eventually yield me fry, but I haven't found any so far so I'm going to take the blockii tank this weekend and strip it and do the traditional green yarn mop method and see how that works. I also might play around with temps because I noticed for the lampeyes at least, if I change the temperature around even within their acceptable temp range, it can still affect the spawning activity. at least for me with those fish. In general though I've been pretty passive and probably have missed some eggs in the tanks I've been waiting to see if fry would appear in. 

You have plenty to keep you busy that’s for sure. I know everyone uses mops is it that the killis won’t breed in moss or they just prefer to lay their eggs on something dangling down? Curious if anyone knows. I’m not against making a spawning mop if needed I just figured I have a bunch of extra moss and might as well use it

On 1/26/2023 at 12:27 PM, Slick_Nick said:

You have plenty to keep you busy that’s for sure. I know everyone uses mops is it that the killis won’t breed in moss or they just prefer to lay their eggs on something dangling down? Curious if anyone knows. I’m not against making a spawning mop if needed I just figured I have a bunch of extra moss and might as well use it

From my understanding using mops is just an optimization but not required. Killis will lay eggs in moss but picking out the moss and sifting through for eggs just may be a little more tedious than with a mop. To some extent I think the density of what theyre laying in matters (as my killis lay their eggs in the thicker water lettuce roots I have as opposed to the thinner ones), but moss or guppy grass should be fine in reality as well. I also am under the impression that some killis may have a preference of laying eggs closer to the surface, while others may lay their eggs lower down. I'm not sure how true that is but from what seen myself and also heard, breeders tend to find the eggs closer to the top of the mops or my water lettuce for most mop spawners. 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 1:50 PM, Fish Folk said:

@Slick_Nick looking absolutely stunning! On my want-list for sure. Keep sharing the photos.

I’m working on a few killis — N. guentheri, N. rachovii, F. scheeli, F. sjostedti (Loé)…

43948760-6F62-4A57-A8D6-7DA107B94214.jpeg.a3a93965d7daa77d1f902303e6ca8dd0.jpeg

B301C0BE-3650-47D6-87C2-67F586C6651A.jpeg.3259da8340d617a692f7d4d6d28f88b8.jpeg

7F1742A8-3ED8-4A10-B7AB-15D88D8605FD.jpeg.134a600634421e601770ae63037ff8f0.jpeg

D7C06EFF-63A5-48F2-941B-5917C632B30B.jpeg.f502a923564b1b74f75feb6530affbc4.jpeg

Thank you! I most definitely will!! You have some beautiful killis yourself! Looks like a couple annuals even. They have such a neat body shape!! Thanks for sharing some photos

• Like 2