Hello Skiers ⛷️!

TheSwissAquarist

I’m a 51 year old beginner alpine skier and it’s not working out too well 🤣. I keep getting hurt and the lessons alongside 12 year old are a little embarrassing! I think I’m going to stick to Nordic! 
I do freeride mountain biking and have no trouble flying through the air on a bike but hurling down a mountain on skis is another thing altogether! Maybe I should try snowboarding? 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 8:52 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’m a 51 year old beginner alpine skier and it’s not working out too well 🤣. I keep getting hurt and the lessons alongside 12 year old are a little embarrassing! I think I’m going to stick to Nordic! 
I do freeride mountain biking and have no trouble flying through the air on a bike but hurling down a mountain on skis is another thing altogether! Maybe I should try snowboarding? 

I prefer snowboarding. The risk of being impaled by those two extra sticks is greatly reduced, and your body stays in one piece if you fall. 🤪

Love the weather, @TheSwissAquarist!

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 5:52 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m a 51 year old beginner alpine skier and it’s not working out too well 🤣.

We all have to start somewhere! 

On 1/18/2023 at 6:18 PM, eatyourpeas said:

prefer snowboarding.

Plus you can’t cross your snowboard and face plant. 😅 Monoboarding is something I’ve always wanted to try, think 2 skis connected together; a hybrid between snowboarding and skiing. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 9:47 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

We all have to start somewhere! 

Plus you can’t cross your snowboard and face plant. 😅 Monoboarding is something I’ve always wanted to try, think 2 skis connected together; a hybrid between snowboarding and skiing. 

A friend back in the 90s was an expert monoboarder. It looks like a very advanced skill. 

My first day skiing in Europe was Stubaital Austria.  It was steep, foggy, and icy. The locals were skiing slowly and conservatively, and cussing us out in multiple languages. Learning to ski in Ohio, we were comfortable with those conditions.

Greatest ski adventure probably Mont Blanc and visiting Piz Gloria. (On her Majesty's Secret Service for you Bond fans)

Having lived in the Northern States most of my life, I cross-country skied. While there are some decent slopes in Northern Michigan the thought of hurling down a hill on a pair of sticks terrified me! Alas, there's not enough snow where I live in Indiana to do X-Country anymore, plus I'm less tolerant of the cold as a whole. 

On 1/20/2023 at 12:25 PM, JJenna said:

Having lived in the Northern States most of my life, I cross-country skied. While there are some decent slopes in Northern Michigan the thought of hurling down a hill on a pair of sticks terrified me! Alas, there's not enough snow where I live in Indiana to do X-Country anymore, plus I'm less tolerant of the cold as a whole. 

What could be terrifying about hurtling down hill, doing a yard sale and planting your face in the snow?  I had similar thoughts about snowboarding, but it wasn't my face that got planted.

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 1:15 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Good one! Mid if I tell that one to a couple of snowboarding friends? We keep on debating wether skiing or snowboarding is better…

Go for it.  They both have their good points. I don't have enough time on a board to get truly comfortable, or know their limitations. From a purely practical perspective, the snowboard has the edge (no pun intended). Overall comfort, portability, cost, convenience, maybe even fewer serious injuries, and as far as I know, you can't lose a snowboard in a fall.   I'm a skier, but I think I just made the argument for the snowboard.

I grew up alpine skiing in the Sierra Nevada mountains.  But now I live where it is flaaaaaaat!  Some people still try to alpine on little bumps, but I've decided it's important to adapt to my current conditions, so I took up nordic skiing when I moved here.  Plus, I trashed my knees doing moguls when I was younger avoiding knuckle daggers (i.e. snowboarders 😜) who at least at the time would plunk down in the middle of runs and just become speed bumps.  Moguls guaranteed no boards!  🤣  Now the battle is with train trashing snowshoers.  There's always something I suppose.

• Haha 1

@TheSwissAquarist I’m pretty sure y’all are handed a ski pass with your birth certificate 😋 

This year I had to take a break from the skiing so I’m envious! We got a ton of early snow this year. Open by thanksgiving, which like never happens. Was supposed to ski Japan.

On 1/18/2023 at 9:18 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I prefer snowboarding. The risk of being impaled by those two extra sticks is greatly reduced

That’s why I ski without them! I despise poles. I actually have a collapsible pair I keep on my backpack on the powder days when I need to trek a distance to get to the good stuff.

last year bluebird day in stevens. Was teaching the next generation. As I get older this is becoming less of a chore. It helps that they listen to me, it doesn’t help they copy everything I do 😅
C77FD9D8-33EF-45A1-A245-41ECEF91BC30.jpeg.fa11a4755c88ac2fe0a41eec65e3f514.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 8:21 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

when I was younger avoiding knuckle daggers (i.e. snowboarders 😜) who at least at the time would plunk down in the middle of runs and just become speed bumps.

I know that feeling.! 🙄 During one of my earliest attempts at snowboarding, I was doing really well until I came around a sharp curve, and encountered a whole herd grazing (blocking) the full width of the trail.  When I hit the emergency brake and began plowing snow in their direction, somehow I was the bad guy!

• Haha 1