What's the easiest, lowest maintenance tank setup for a beginner?

Schuyler

I'm helping a friend set up his first tank and trying to make it as foolproof as possible.

What would you do if you were setting up a tank for a friend who has no experience with fish keeping?

I'm thinking:

- A 10 or 20 gallon tank

- Course sponge filter 

- Heater

- Black Diamond Blasting Sand or Pea gravel as substrate

- Guppy grass, pogostemon "octopus", and some moss

- River rocks as decoration 

Then for fish maybe a pair of honey gourami or a Betta 

• Like 1

I would do gravel not sand for a beginner.

Get them lots of rhizone plants that can be glued to rock or other hardscape. 

Gourami and Betta seem to be a set up for failure- they have a high enjoyment rating but a very high mortality rate for beginners - each species comes with their own genetic issues. 

I'd skip the heater as long as their house is regular temps (again heater failure rate) and get hardy species that are active and interesting like Endlers or Guppies (and only get males) some Cory (when the tank is well established and not until then- could even do a small sand "lake" in the tank for them later if you really wanted sand) and depending on the size of tank you choose a half dozen Ember Tetra (for a small tank) or some Rasboras or Neons (for a schooling fish). 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

20g long (shorter height helps make water changes easy).

I would personally go with a decent sized group of a single schooling fish species (after the tank has matured), a starting pack of neocardina shrimp, and maybe a school of bottom dwellers down the road. I say this because if there's mistakes and one or two of a large group of smaller fish or shrimp dies, it'll feel less devastating for a beginner than having the only fish/pair of fish they own die. I'd always rather start out with a group of hardy schooling fish than a single specimen that a beginner might grow attached to.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 10:12 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

get hardy species that are active and interesting like Endlers or Guppies (and only get males)

Oh... Come to think of it, that would be a good way to reduce my guppy population some

I didn't know bettas were finicky. I just figured that if people can keep them alive in tiny, empty bowls that they would be pretty easy and hardy.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:17 AM, Miranda Marie said:

I say this because if there's mistakes and one or two of a large group of smaller fish or shrimp dies, it'll feel less devastating for a beginner than having the only fish/pair of fish they own die.

That's a very good point. Fish loss can be pretty demoralizing but a completely empty tank is much worse

On 1/6/2023 at 11:17 AM, Schuyler said:

That's a very good point. Fish loss can be pretty demoralizing but a completely empty tank is much worse

Exactly. I know from experiencing that losing a random schooling fish is much less difficult than losing a fish with a personality, name, and bond. Which is why I tend to add special/centerpiece fish to my aquariums last, when I am sure perimeters have settled.

On 1/6/2023 at 11:17 AM, Schuyler said:

I didn't know bettas were finicky. I just figured that if people can keep them alive in tiny, empty bowls that they would be pretty easy and hardy.

Personally, I have found bettas harder to keep than most other fish. I only recently gave them another shot (in my Ikebana aquarium) after gaining a lot more experience. Mainly because while they're hard to kill, their fins are really prone to fin rot. The months of frustration of working to heal a damaged betta and failing turned me off them when I first started. 

• Like 1

eh when I worked at a chain pet store I often had beginners come in. The key to longevity for them seems to be let them pick out what they want and if it ends up being a non-beginner friendly fish steer them towards one.

I’d recommend a 20 so that neglected water changes don’t become an issue for fish health.

As for filtration, heater, substrate wait on that until they pick out the fish. I have had quite a few beginners fall in love with corydoras and make cory only tanks. Gravel is hard on their barbels and a soft sand would be preferred. 

Just make sure they know picking out the fish doesn’t mean you buy the fish the day of. Often times for beginners the wait and anticipation leads to someone who genuinely appreciates their fish rather than instant gratification getting bored within a month types.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 12:12 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I would do gravel not sand for a beginner.

Get them lots of rhizone plants that can be glued to rock or other hardscape. 

Gourami and Betta seem to be a set up for failure- they have a high enjoyment rating but a very high mortality rate for beginners - each species comes with their own genetic issues. 

I'd skip the heater as long as their house is regular temps (again heater failure rate) and get hardy species that are active and interesting like Endlers or Guppies (and only get males) some Cory (when the tank is well established and not until then- could even do a small sand "lake" in the tank for them later if you really wanted sand) and depending on the size of tank you choose a half dozen Ember Tetra (for a small tank) or some Rasboras or Neons (for a schooling fish). 

• I will respectfully disagree about gravel instead of sand.  Uneaten food and other gunk can get down into the gravel where it's difficult to remove.  It will lie on the surface of the sand, and as @Biotope Biologist mentioned, it's better if your friend decides on corys.
  • I agree wholeheartedly about the livestock recommendation.  I wouldn't recommend a betta or dwarf gourami to an experienced fish keeper, and certainly not for a new one.  Guppies would be a great choice, or a shoal of one of the hardy tetras if you want to add a heater.
  • I also agree about the larger tank, and if you do go with a 20 gallon tank I'd recommend a 20 long, if there's room.  They have more surface for gas exchange, more horizontal room for fish movement (because they spend more time swimming from one side to the other than they do swimming up and down), and they're easier to work in.
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 10:40 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

As for filtration, heater, substrate wait on that until they pick out the fish.

Hmm I hadn't thought of that. I was going to seed a sponge filter so that he would have bio filtration from the start.

I do like the idea of not ready getting much until the fish are chosen. Choosing the fish is at least half the fun.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:47 AM, Schuyler said:

Hmm I hadn't thought of that. I was going to seed a sponge filter so that he would have bio filtration from the start.

Oh definitely still do that! You can seed other filtration types if you want with the seeded sponge. I have a sump and I still seed random sponge filters in it, in case I decide on a wild hair to setup a new tank 😋

• Like 1

Here's  a super easy tank setup. It's a Topfin 10 gallon starter kit from PetSmart. Comes with the heater, hang on back filter, led lighted hood and thermometer. All I added is the sponge filter, sand and a few plants. I use this as a quarantine tank, but I can easily see a few cherry barbs darting around in there as a fun and easy beginner tank.20230106_131822.jpg.dd451e47005d118b3e7da9e7c4007f05.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 10:52 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Oh definitely still do that! You can seed other filtration types if you want with the seeded sponge. I have a sump and I still seed random sponge filters in it, in case I decide on a wild hair to setup a new tank 😋

Related question, how long does the bacteria survive on a seeded sponge?

On 1/6/2023 at 11:39 AM, Darax said:

I wish I had started with a 55 gallon. Smaller tanks are more challenging. 

Of I knew we would stick with it I would suggest that but there's a 50/50 chance that this tank comes back to me and I don't have space for that. Plus it's more up front cost and bigger water changes.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:08 AM, Schuyler said:

- A 10 or 20 gallon tank

I would be very specific with my choices here.  I'll break them down one by one, but there is two sides of this.  Making it easy day to day, but more specifically is making it easier when you get into maintenance.

- Course sponge filter 

I actually would go against a sponge filter here.  First, you need an air pump.  While you can have one, and it's beneficial, I actually thing having to explain check valves and all of that make things a bit too complicated.  More points of failure, so to speak.  Explaining to someone how to clean the filter is pretty easy because of Cory's videos.  However, I have seen new hobbyists struggle to get sponge filters opened up and be able to perform maintenance effectively.  In my own tanks and with others I have seen cloudy water or cycling issues dependent upon which foam is on that filter.

I would go for either a Tidal 35 or a marineland pro of adequate size for sake of ease.  I would mod it beforehand with aquaclear foam and call it a day.  For the tidal, you need 1 of their pre-cut foams as well as a single piece of scrap to cover a hole in the basket, but beyond that it's easy and works for stocking below.  I don't recommend it in terms of a community tank or other things, but in terms of features and this specific application it works well and will be easy to use if you set it up right.  Marineland filters have good impellers (sorry aquaclear) and can easily be adapted with sponge to work well.  At minimum I would add a bag of AC30 biomax and some sponge to the marineland.  That's all you need and it's a bit easier to cycle, to maintain.

- Heater

Eheim Jager, and a secondary thermometer.  I would actually go with the ACO heater right now, but in terms of ease of availability some of the fluval / aqueon heaters have issues and I would opt for the eheim just because it's so easy to adjust and track.

- Black Diamond Blasting Sand or Pea gravel as substrate

Personally I would opt for a "darker tone" natural gravel.  Something like this:
1_01.jpg
Specifically for this tank however I would get a bag of caribsea crystal river sand.  More on why later.

- Guppy grass, pogostemon "octopus", and some moss

More on this later, but Moss of some kind, usually christmas moss is the go to for me.  Second to that, Bacopa Caroliniana as well as micro sword.  Root tabs here is a must as well, but that to me isn't too complicated.  PSO get's too crazy for me too easily and crowds other plants as a result, other stems are slightly more.... manageable.

- River rocks as decoration 

I would grab a piece of mopani and some Seiryu stone.  Those tones work and do really well.  A single piece of mopani is perfectly fine as well.  Second to that, you can do Marimo balls if available as well as lava rock if you prefer that look.  Just be sure to clean the edges so it's not razor sharp.

Then for fish maybe a pair of honey gourami or a Betta 

I would do a Bolivian Ram tank for anyone who wants a "single fish" starter tank.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 2:56 PM, Mynameisnobody said:

The white cloud mountain minnow or gold form. I’d get a dozen of these in a 20 with some anubias and Java ferns. Everything will basically be bulletproof. Easy, peasy, and super enjoyable. 

When I upgraded from a 20 long to a 40 breeder I left the 20 up, pulled out the HOB and heater, and moved in my white clouds. Upkeep has been easier than tearing down the tank would have been. Feed lightly, clean algae and change some water once a month or so, and they've been my best bang-for-buck fish. Their behavior is a bit boring compared to something more curious like livebearers or gourami, but it's hard to beat the low bioload.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 3:31 PM, drewzero1 said:

When I upgraded from a 20 long to a 40 breeder I left the 20 up, pulled out the HOB and heater, and moved in my white clouds. Upkeep has been easier than tearing down the tank would have been. Feed lightly, clean algae and change some water once a month or so, and they've been my best bang-for-buck fish. Their behavior is a bit boring compared to something more curious like livebearers or gourami, but it's hard to beat the low bioload.

I would also recommend white clouds.  They're cheap, hardy, don't need a heater, and I personally really like the looks of the gold ones.  Also can't go wrong with a group of smaller corys.  I agree with size recommendation of 20 gal or larger both for easier maintainence and for flexibility in the future.  Plants like anubias are easy and beautiful, and throwing in a stem of pothos to grow out of the tank really helps with nitrates.  I think either sand or gravel is fine but wouldn't do white sand.  Too hard to keep looking good.  A couple mystery or nerite snails would be a good addition too.

• Like 1

well i have had 10  to 55 gallon tanks and the smaller tanks are for me personally are the same or or harder maintenance then the bigger sizes plus you  have to clean the smaller more often then then larger tanks 

i would  , go with the larger size tank that you have space for ,a 29 gallon is nice size fora beginner and it  not much bigger or wider then a 20 gallon   it is taller then a 20 though

I have had both personally think the sand is easier to clean  then the gravel for the substrate ( After adding to tank and running ) i agree no white sand colors

After your pick the fish and if  you need a heater and filter for the fish   I would go with small hangback filters that is what they have with most aquarium starters kits   a aquaclear or  fluval tidal  is the best ones and the sponge filter  would cost about the same price as a hangback if you have to buy a new pump,sponge , tubing,airstone check valve ,,if you see he likes the hobby later you can add or change filter to sponge filter  i like having 2 filters a sponge and hangback both in all my tanks the heater if needed i would go withe Aqurium Co Op heater 

I can not recommend a plant for a beginner i kill them moss  , pogostemon "octopus and Anubis  but i can grow the stem plants and crypts and floating plants the beginner easy plants hate me  

best wishes and  have fun setting up the new tank with your friend hopefully he will love the hobby too 

Edited by Bev C

I think this depends on what the friend wants from the fish tank, size wise definitely needs to be discussed with them.

I would definitely guide them to long over tall for the ease of maintenance. I prefer gravel to sand but that's just my preference.

Moss can be fussy I would go with anubias, java fern and nice stem plant but if you have similar water you know what plants work well.

I think you could have a fun set up with rosy barbs and garras which wouldn't need a heater. You could add danios to. But to my mind they need to involved in the fish choosing it's the most fun bit. 

I would get them a sponge filter and a decent gravel vac. And a good food that suits everything so feeding time is a straightforward as possible.

Make sure they have a bucket or two, gravel vac and light timer at the start. The best way to make it low maintenance is make sure they are equipped for the maintenance. How far will water have to be carried do they need a hosepipe and sink adapter. If a hose isn't going to be used I favour the watering can over the bucket for filling as it much more controllable so less likely to spill also if you attach the rose (sprinkle/ seed head) it doesn't disrupt the substrate.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, Schuyler said:

Wait... You have no filter or air stone?

Never said anything about any air stone, but I did forget to mention that I added two sponge filters (with air stones inside). Other than the two air hoses going into the tank and the overhead light, the tank has no connections to equipment. I really like not having any wires going into the tank.