Question about my cory cats

StaceyTNBCkicker

Just got a small school (6) of strerabi coradoras. They are mostly "glass surfing". My water parameters are ok, no nitrates or nitrites, ph is 7. I do have hard water. Water temp is 76-78. Planted tank. HOB aqueon 20 woth floss and biomedia, no carbon. Medium sponge filter as well. They came from a store that was displaying them in a very small tank. It looked like a longer 10 gallon divided into 4. They were all together there. They do come down and sand sift, but then go back to going up and down glass constantly. They do not appear in distress. No gill flaring ot frantic fins, just cruising the glass. I have had them 2 days, drip acclimated. I unfortunately do not have a quarantine tank. Online I see both happy exploring and stress as answers. Any info appreciated. 

Did you check ammonia? 0 nitrate is a little hard to believe. Even a heavily planted tank will have some nitrate in the water since the plants only remove it during the day when they're photosynthesizing and it build back up a bit overnight. But unless you can find something wrong with your water or notice something wrong with the fish other than glass surfing I wouldn't worry. 

I don't have any snails or other invertebrates. I did have a plant die, but that was a week or so before I added any fish. I thought my tank was finished cycling. It had went through a nitrate/nitrite spike when it had only plants and then these came back down to 0 on the test strips. I added just a few fish. No changes in 2 weeks. Then added the corydoras 2 days ago. I am doing a 50% water change and going to add stress coat plus and some bacteria. I do use weekly plant fertilizer. Maybe I was feeding too much. 

Just an update. Water change made no difference, in either fish nor water parameters, lol. Still reading on stick at 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites and 0.5-1.0 ammonia. Maybe ammonium? The cory were still nuts. However, when my light started dimming for night, they started acting more "normal". Still some glass surfing, but more bottom cruising. I do remember that the pet store had motion detection lights, so perhaps they are not used to full lights. Also, another forum several mentioned that they sometimes do this with new tank or water changes. Sometimes takes a week or so to settle. I'll still keep a close eye on them and a check on my water parameters. My master kit should be arriving this week (finally)! Thank you all. Any other thoughts are appreciated! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, StaceyTNBCkicker said:

Approximately 6 weeks before fish. I started with fish two weeks ago today. 

My corys and several,other types of fish I've had seem to go through and adjustment period for a week to 2 weeks after putting them in a tank. I've even had shrimp glass surf for several hours after they are introduced. If your water is clean May be it's just they are getting used to the new tank.

• Like 1

Just a morning update. This morning they are all "glass surfing" again, but some are cruising the bottom from time to time. They all quieted down and rested, picked around under the rocks and plants last night when the lights dimmed. My ammonia this morning is at 0, as are my nitrates and nitrites. I did note that my dwarf rainbow fish are bullies, lol. They look for food all day long, even on the bottom (all my fish are apparently abnormal 🤣). I seen both my bigger male and my females kinda nip at the coradoras if they come out into the open swimming space up front. Doesn't seem to bother the cory cats, they just go under the hardscape. 

10 hours ago, StaceyTNBCkicker said:

I'm hoping that is all it is. I am already smitten with the little goofy fish! Thank you for your input. Greatly appreciated! 

One of the things I like about my pandas is how playful they are.  They really seam to like swimming into the bubble wall, letting it lift them to the top, then swimming to the bottom for a repeat.  

13 minutes ago, StaceyTNBCkicker said:

Update. My cory cats are finally settling in. They still occasionally glass surf (play), but are foraging more. They love bloodworms which I plan to treat them to 2 times a week. I love watching the little school tag team around the tank. 

I had the same experience with 8 sterbais I added to my community tank. The first day or two they glass and bubble surfed nonstop.  They wouldn’t even eat.  Since then mine have settled way down and spend more time cruising the bottom for food more than anything.   They still do glass and bubble surf some, but not nearly like before.    Good luck with yours! 

• Like 1