Help me choose which tetras to add to my tank please!

Karen B.

Greetings!

I recently switched my pair of apistogramma cacatuoides from a 20 high to a 20 long. To my surprise, while I tought they would enjoy their new home (more space, better scaping, more plants…), it’s the total opposite. They used to be social and interacting with me, now they are really shy and skittish. I figured I could add ditter fish to try to lessen their stress.

The tank is 20 gallons long, planted, heated around 79-81f, 1 HOB filter + 1 sponge filter. Parameters are 0/0/5, pH around 6.8, about 60 kh and 150gh. I do not have a lid and would rather not have one.

I am looking for 8-10 ditter fish. I was hoping for celestial pearl danios but the parameters aren’t the best for them from what I gathered?

I already have Chili rasboras and Endlers. I do not want more live bearers. I’ve had green neon tetras in the past so no to these as well as neon and cardinal.

I am currently hesitant between black neon tetra, candy cane tetra, black skirt tetra, green or black emperor tetra and rummy nose tetras.

One of my problems is that I have not seen all of them in person and sometimes the internet will show them much more colorful or at their very very best and it doesn’t give a very realistic idea to what they would look like.

So, considering my tank size/parameters, the 2 apisto and each tetras specific needs, which one would you recommend? Or do you have other suggestions?

If you have videos of the one said above, could you share so I can see them in a tank?

thank you! Here is a picture of the tank they will be added to.

44833AE1-80A2-4F8B-90D7-F2E9D16889A8.jpeg.da490088a11f218394caa2540d9a4ee8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/28/2022 at 6:47 AM, Karen B. said:

I am currently hesitant between black neon tetra, candy cane tetra, black skirt tetra, green or black emperor tetra and rummy nose tetras.

One of my problems is that I have not seen all of them in person and sometimes the internet will show them much more colorful or at their very very best and it doesn’t give a very realistic idea to what they would look like.

I'm still new so I can't speak to much of this but I will say that rummy nose tetras are much cooler looking in person that they look online. At least for me, they looked boring in videos but just pop more in person.

Plus they wear how they are feeling on their sleeve (or nose really).

• Like 2

I have candy cane tetras (about 17) in a 29gal with 1 German blue ram. The GBR is the definite tank boss but doesn't bully anyone in particular. The CC tetras only school tightly together when it's feeding time, otherwise they stay in smaller groups around the aquarium. My aqarium is a blackwater set up so they look nice (IMO) against the darker water.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 10:45 AM, Colu said:

Cardinal tetras would do well with apistos or rummy nose tetras 

cardinals are considered predatory in nature so if he plans on breeding this is not the best option... there are better options which will not prey on the frys; likewise for many of the other mentioned fishes in this thread... so it all depends on his intention.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:47 AM, Karen B. said:

Greetings!

I recently switched my pair of apistogramma cacatuoides from a 20 high to a 20 long. To my surprise, while I tought they would enjoy their new home (more space, better scaping, more plants…), it’s the total opposite. They used to be social and interacting with me, now they are really shy and skittish. I figured I could add ditter fish to try to lessen their stress.

The tank is 20 gallons long, planted, heated around 79-81f, 1 HOB filter + 1 sponge filter. Parameters are 0/0/5, pH around 6.8, about 60 kh and 150gh. I do not have a lid and would rather not have one.

I am looking for 8-10 ditter fish. I was hoping for celestial pearl danios but the parameters aren’t the best for them from what I gathered?

I already have Chili rasboras and Endlers. I do not want more live bearers. I’ve had green neon tetras in the past so no to these as well as neon and cardinal.

So, considering my tank size/parameters, the 2 apisto and each tetras specific needs, which one would you recommend? Or do you have other suggestions?

If you have videos of the one said above, could you share so I can see them in a tank?

thank you! Here is a picture of the tank they will be added to.

44833AE1-80A2-4F8B-90D7-F2E9D16889A8.jpeg.da490088a11f218394caa2540d9a4ee8.jpeg

Maybe Green Neon Tetras? They're like neon tetras but without the notorious neon tetra disease and they're a little smaller I think. Or like mentioned earlier, Ember Tetras would work well. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:54 AM, CrashBandit05 said:

I have candy cane tetras (about 17) in a 29gal with 1 German blue ram. The GBR is the definite tank boss but doesn't bully anyone in particular. The CC tetras only school tightly together when it's feeding time, otherwise they stay in smaller groups around the aquarium. My aqarium is a blackwater set up so they look nice (IMO) against the darker water.

Do you think they would thrive in a 20 long if I get about 10?

On 11/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, anitstuk said:

Maybe Green Neon Tetras? They're like neon tetras but without the notorious neon tetra disease and they're a little smaller I think. Or like mentioned earlier, Ember Tetras would work well. 

@anewbie

@Colu

I’ve had green neon before so I’d like something a bit different then that (so that would exclude cardinal as well).

Do you have an opinion on any of these black neon tetra, candy cane tetra, black skirt tetra, green or black emperor tetra, serpae tetra and rummy nose tetras?

On 11/28/2022 at 10:26 AM, Tanked said:

Ember or Serpae tetras.  My Embers are little jewels in the tank.  I wish they would grow faster.  The Serpae don't shoal together that often, but both will give some orange-red colors.

I like Serpae, didn’t know them but love the colors!! Thanks for the suggestion 

On 11/29/2022 at 5:51 AM, anewbie said:

To answer your question first need to understand if you are trying to breed the cockatoo and if so do you expect the fry to live ?

No, I don’t think they will breed. Had them for over 6 months now, nothing happened. I beleive my water is a bit too hard for it. So not planning on reproducing them.

On 11/29/2022 at 4:53 AM, Karen B. said:

No, I don’t think they will breed. Had them for over 6 months now, nothing happened. I beleive my water is a bit too hard for it. So not planning on reproducing them.

Hard water will not stop them from breeding; it would only stop the eggs from hatching but cockatoo will breed in moderately hard water (though there is a limit). black neon are fine; I believe a 20 long is too small for rummynose which are a fast swimming schooling fish and 4 feet long is better; for the larger tetra like serpae, black phantom, candy cane, black skirt i would limit the group to at most 7. These are not as small as cardinals/black neon. For the smaller tetra like green neon and ember you could probably get as many as 10 to 12 and for the middle size tetra like cardinals and black neon 8 would be a good number. However all these fishes do better in soft water; that doesn't mean they can't be kept in harder water but of course the harder the water the less optimal. You said you thought your water was too hard but didn't provide a numerical value (cockatoo will successfully breed in moderately hard water); but if your water is so hard they cannot successfully hatch eggs then your water might be better suited for shell fishes or similar. Of course there are other reasons why they might not breed - they could be too young or the same sex.

Be aware that if you have a male and female cockatoo and they do reach maturity and start laying eggs - these are not pair forming fishes where the male and female work together. These are polygamous fishes and the way they work is the male will chase a non-breeding female out of his territory. Once the female lays eggs she will viciously attack the male if he comes near so it is critical to provide adequate hiding places for when they are not getting along. This is very different system than pair forming fishes that tend to get along when breeding.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 6:01 AM, anewbie said:

Hard water will not stop them from breeding; it would only stop the eggs from hatching but cockatoo will breed in moderately hard water (though there is a limit). black neon are fine; I believe a 20 long is too small for rummynose which are a fast swimming schooling fish and 4 feet long is better; for the larger tetra like serpae, black phantom, candy cane, black skirt i would limit the group to at most 7. These are not as small as cardinals/black neon. For the smaller tetra like green neon and ember you could probably get as many as 10 to 12 and for the middle size tetra like cardinals and black neon 8 would be a good number. However all these fishes do better in soft water; that doesn't mean they can't be kept in harder water but of course the harder the water the less optimal. You said you thought your water was too hard but didn't provide a numerical value (cockatoo will successfully breed in moderately hard water); but if your water is so hard they cannot successfully hatch eggs then your water might be better suited for shell fishes or similar. Of course there are other reasons why they might not breed - they could be too young or the same sex.

Be aware that if you have a male and female cockatoo and they do reach maturity and start laying eggs - these are not pair forming fishes where the male and female work together. These are polygamous fishes and the way they work is the male will chase a non-breeding female out of his territory. Once the female lays eggs she will viciously attack the male if he comes near so it is critical to provide adequate hiding places for when they are not getting along. This is very different system than pair forming fishes that tend to get along when breeding.

I stated my parameters in my original post - my water is around 150 moving toward 300 gh on the aquarium coop test strips. 

On 11/29/2022 at 5:17 AM, Karen B. said:

I stated my parameters in my original post - my water is around 150 moving toward 300 gh on the aquarium coop test strips. 

Sorry i only skimmed the original post - ok a few comments based on the original post:

black neon tetra are similar to cardinal tetra in behavior but a tiny bit larger and of course a different colour. candy cane, serpae and black skirt are somewhat similar in shape and behavior though my serpae have always been more active than candy cane but not excessive or schooling like rummy. As i noted rummy nose tend to be tight fast moving schoolers and do better in a larger aquarium. emperor tetra are a bit more exotic in behavior and mature males can fight quite a bit also depending on source they might have more problem with very hard water. 

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 6:25 AM, anewbie said:

Sorry i only skimmed the original post - ok a few comments based on the original post:

black neon tetra are similar to cardinal tetra in behavior but a tiny bit larger and of course a different colour. candy cane, serpae and black skirt are somewhat similar in shape and behavior. As i noted rummy nose tend to be tight fast moving schoolers and do better in a larger aquarium. emperor tetra are a bit more exotic in behavior and mature males can fight quite a bit also depending on source they might have more problem with very hard water. 

Sorry, didn’t mean to come across as rude. English isn’t my main langage 

Thank you so much for all these precious information! I was leaning toward Emperor but I am not a fan of agressive behavior.

Will cross Rummy nose from the list then!

On 11/29/2022 at 5:29 AM, Karen B. said:

Sorry, didn’t mean to come across as rude. English isn’t my main langage 

Thank you so much for all these precious information! I was leaning toward Emperor but I am not a fan of agressive behavior.

Will cross Rummy nose from the list then!

You didn't come across as rude; i should have read the post in more detail. Don't be discourage by emperor tetra; just don't buy more than 5 or so. Their behavior are a bit different than other tetra but it might be a good experience. The safest route would be candy cane or serpae (I favor serpae since they are more active); just be aware that if you have m/f cockatoo and they are young their behavior will change over time and you should provide hiding places for them (leaf litter, driftwood, sponge filter and similar). 

On 11/28/2022 at 10:38 PM, Karen B. said:

Do you have a video of your black neon tetras? 

I'm afraid not.  I've always been puzzled by the name though.  Mine have a horizontal stripe that's dark blue instead of black, with the neon lighter blue above it.

I've seen serpae tetras mentioned a few times.  They're another of my favorites, along with lemon tetras and pristella tetras.  They have all been very hardy for me in my hard 8.2 pH water.

• Like 1

I don’t think rummynose tetras in a 20 gallon long will be a problem. They are amazing schoolers because of their skittish nature. I do recommend looking for the platinum variant, they really stand out and above the general rummynose tetras in my opinion. I love ‘em.

• Like 1