Hey, newb,.. I guess

Kamen_Kaiju

Hi, 

Found the forum through YouTube. I've only been into aquariums a couple of weeks. Still working on building my first planted aquarium. Right now I have a 3 gallon tank with a single betta and artificial plants. But I'm slowly getting all the materials together for a 5 gallon tank I have. Once I have that dialed in I want to try a 10 or 20 gallon tank. 

I stumbled onto Takashi Amano's stuff on youtube and it really hit me hard so I guess that's what started the interest in planted tanks. 

Was pretty happy with the 3 gallon setup on my desk with my betta fish (named Floyd), but after discovering Takashi and planted tanks I'm really excited to try building my own. 

Here's my desk-mate/work-partner, Floyd.   (as in Pretty Boy Floyd, because he's a pretty boy.) 

image.jpeg.48693c2908fe1fdabc6b0e3950f2d6d7.jpeg

image.jpeg.2dca7c4839e0917e669e6895a74a261b.jpeg

I'm glad I found this forum and I look forward to learning more. 

-KK-

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 11/22/2022 at 1:38 AM, Schuyler said:

Welcome!

It's that 5 gallon a replacement or are you developing multi tank syndrome already?

Any specific type of scape you're thinking about doing?

When I got Floyd I bought a 1.5 gallon but within a day or two I thought he needed something bigger (that would still fit on my desk) so I got the 3 gallon which seems ok for now.

I got 5 gallon because I want to try making an aquascape with plants and soil. If it goes well I want to try a 10 or 20 gallon.

I’m finding the idea of an ecosystem in a box sort of amazing.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 2:57 PM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

Hi, 

Found the forum through YouTube. I've only been into aquariums a couple of weeks. Still working on building my first planted aquarium. Right now I have a 3 gallon tank with a single betta and artificial plants. But I'm slowly getting all the materials together for a 5 gallon tank I have. Once I have that dialed in I want to try a 10 or 20 gallon tank. 

I stumbled onto Takashi Amano's stuff on youtube and it really hit me hard so I guess that's what started the interest in planted tanks. 

Was pretty happy with the 3 gallon setup on my desk with my betta fish (named Floyd), but after discovering Takashi and planted tanks I'm really excited to try building my own. 

Here's my desk-mate/work-partner, Floyd.   (as in Pretty Boy Floyd, because he's a pretty boy.) 

image.jpeg.48693c2908fe1fdabc6b0e3950f2d6d7.jpeg

image.jpeg.2dca7c4839e0917e669e6895a74a261b.jpeg

I'm glad I found this forum and I look forward to learning more. 

-KK-

welcome!!

I understand starting with a small tank (I was going to start with like a one gallon but my parents decided to buy a 20 gallon because it was almost the same price) but it definitely is easier to keep larger tanks (although my 5 gallon betta tank has never had any problems)

Edited by Aiden Carter
Forgot to say hi! Whoops!

yeah even now I'm sort of regretting the 3 gallon tank I got. The pump is too strong and makes too much current through the tank. After watching the fish for a couple days I just unplugged the pump and filter. 

Removing it will be a PITA because the way the tank is designed is honestly sort of stupid and you have to feed the pump up through the bottom of the lid/rim. 

Not sure why they'd have such a strong pump for a small tank. 

Hopefully once I get the planted tank put together and running I'll put the Betta fish in that one. 

Eventually I want to have a couple snails, some shrimp, and maybe some Tetra or something too. ... but by then I'll probably want an even larger tank. 

Pretty disappointed with this tank now and what I paid as I see it's just not going to work. This is the one...

Amazon.com : PONDON Fish Tank, 3 Gallon Glass Aquarium, 3 in 1 Fish Tank with Filter and Light, Desktop Small Fish Tank for Betta Fish, Shrimp, Goldfish (Black, 3Gallon) : Pet Supplies

Maybe I can use it for plants or something like a terrarium once I move the fish out of it.  

Also learning you can't just buy a bunch of plants and plant them. The youtube videos make it look pretty easy: gravel, soil, sandcap, hardscape, plants. 

So I bought a bunch of plants. But now I'm seeing you have to quarantine all the plants and I'm trying to figure out how to keep all these plants alive. In the YouTube vids the guy just rips open cups of plants and plants them all right away. 

Interesting journey so far. Hoping I can find something local (besides Petco) where I can go to buy things instead of getting everything online. 

Got some red-root floaters in yesterday and a third are dead, another third are grey and smell awful, and the last third I think might be ok. Ordering plants online is tricky I guess. 

But I have hope things will work out despite setbacks. And I'm enjoying learning a new hobby. 

Edited by Kamen_Kaiju

On 11/22/2022 at 8:28 AM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

yeah even now I'm sort of regretting the 3 gallon tank I got. The pump is too strong and makes too much current through the tank. After watching the fish for a couple days I just unplugged the pump and filter. 

Can you direct the flow up towards the surface and/or the glass? Sometimes that helps baffle the flow

On 11/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

Removing it will be a PITA because the way the tank is designed is honestly sort of stupid and you have to feed the pump up through the bottom of the lid/rim. 

Not sure why they'd have such a strong pump for a small tank. 

Hopefully once I get the planted tank put together and running I'll put the Betta fish in that one. 

Eventually I want to have a couple snails, some shrimp, and maybe some Tetra or something too. ... but by then I'll probably want an even larger tank. 

Pretty disappointed with this tank now and what I paid as I see it's just not going to work. This is the one...

Amazon.com : PONDON Fish Tank, 3 Gallon Glass Aquarium, 3 in 1 Fish Tank with Filter and Light, Desktop Small Fish Tank for Betta Fish, Shrimp, Goldfish (Black, 3Gallon) : Pet Supplies

Maybe I can use it for plants or something like a terrarium once I move the fish out of it.  

Also learning you can't just buy a bunch of plants and plant them. The youtube videos make it look pretty easy: gravel, soil, sandcap, hardscape, plants. 

So I bought a bunch of plants. But now I'm seeing you have to quarantine all the plants and I'm trying to figure out how to keep all these plants alive. In the YouTube vids the guy just rips open cups of plants and plants them all right away. 

Interesting journey so far. Hoping I can find something local (besides Petco) where I can go to buy things instead of getting everything online. 

Got some red-root floaters in yesterday and a third are dead, another third are grey and smell awful, and the last third I think might be ok. Ordering plants online is tricky I guess. 

But I have hope things will work out despite setbacks. And I'm enjoying learning a new hobby. 

I looked at the amazon link and $60 for a 3 gallon!!! It better have the best filtration in the world for that price! 

On 11/24/2022 at 11:11 AM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

yeah I was looking at a 30 gallon tank online earlier before I remembered stores are closed today. 

I need to calm down, lol. 

if you have a thrift store near you you can find tanks for cheap some times (usually nothing big though) petco has the dollar per gallon sale and petco/ petsmart currently has 50% off on all tanks

• Haha 1

yeah I hear ya. it looks nice and I like that the front corners are rounded edges but it was kind of a rip off. The lid and light (and tank) are nice but the filter is a bit much for this tank. I've decided to just run it an hour or two a day to clean the water and move it around. 

Just bought a 29 Gallon (black friday sale) and bought a filter, heater and light separately. It's my first big tank, pretty excited. 

I got the 5 gallon set up yesterday before cooking dinner (was a very busy day!)

image.jpeg.2a30ef97df6f20a7fa53d195f27dc06f.jpeg

Going to get some more plants in it. Then the 29 gallon for now is just going to be plants until I decide what to do with it. 

Mostly I got it because it was on sale for around $30. Which I didn't want to pass up. 

Then I think I'll rotate the fish. Right now my kids have my first 1.5 gallon tank and they got a betta for it, and my betta is in the 3 gallon on my desk. I think I'll move the 3 gallon downstairs and put my kids fish in the bigger tank. Keep the 1.5 for emergencies or quarantines or something. Put my betta in the 5 gallon tank,.. and I'll decide what to do with the big 29 gallon planted tank. 

Maybe some tetras and shrimps would be cool. I really want to get sort of an eco-system going in a big tank as that is what inspired me to try this hobby in the first place. Seeing some of the amazing planted eco-system tanks on youtube. 

..plus the really cool Takashi Amano photos. 

Edited by Kamen_Kaiju
  • Like 3

some updated pics. 

My Buddha tank is doing well. The Betta seems happy and is eating. I think I was overfeeding as I got some white algae, but I stopped having the light on so much and cut way down on the feeding and it mostly seems to have gone away. (also I checked the water with test strips and everything seems ok.) I added a leaf-hammock which Floyd the Betta has totally ignored. I made a ring to try and keep the floaters away from the pump, and I added a small feeding ring which seems to work well. I drop in 2 worm-shaped betta food pellets in the morning and he eats them right away. And I planted some grass which I hope will take off. 

image.jpeg.85921a4d7f13c00e41d37161d2a75dff.jpeg

My kids Betta fish named Louie, in the old 3 gallon tank that was on my desk with Floyd. Now it's on the kitchen bar top. And I put a piece of cardboard behind it so it doesn't get any sunlight. I need a better backing but for now it's serving it's purpose and the fish seems happy. 

image.jpeg.d50aab914e745a04ddc84ce261471c20.jpeg

My Garden tank I have started, I'm really hoping the plants do well. I'm trying to keep an eye on them, only give them 4 hours of light a day, and I put an aquarium backer behind the tank so it doesn't get any sunlight. So far (I think?) it's doing ok, but I guess it takes time to tell, it's only been a few days. Fingers crossed though because I really want this tank to do well and I don't have the best luck with plants. 

image.jpeg.748abc90c3b37fd66902a805534f2d32.jpeg

I know it's not fancy, I don't have any leftover hardscape or anything, I used it all on the other tanks. This whole tank is leftover soil, rock, gravel, etc. from the other tanks. I just wanted to put it to good use and see if the plants will grow. 

image.jpeg.16371e9abbfee838f57732981927a241.jpeg

Bottom left plant isn't looking so hot. I'm rooting for them all though. 

"You Can Do It!" 

image.gif.5fbbbb3ab16c9660ceca1436bf1baea2.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 1

From what I'm gathering your tanks are new, if the "white algae" you speak of is growing on glass/wood etc it's likely biofilm not algae, this is a natural progression to a tank. It's not algae and not harmful at all, just looks funky. You can brush it off areas you don't want to see it or add yourself a Nerite snail they like that stuff. 🙂 

Also some ambient sunlight is not going to hurt, and likely help your plants. It's when they are right up against a window that it can be a problem. 

• Like 2

For cool and different aquarium backgrounds look on something like Amazon for "window clingfilm" easily cut and applied with a little water and smoothed out with a credit card they are great ways to add interest, you can go with all one color or hundreds of designs (for designs though you have to take into consideration what side it's facing as some don't translate to backs of aquariums (they are reversed). The films are often very inexpensive (some can be pricey) and I find that I have plenty of leftovers for other projects/tanks. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

the whole wall behind the tanks (about 10 feet away) is windows and french doors, I just worried they'd get too much direct sunlight. 

Yes all 3 tanks are new, and yes it was growing on the driftwood. I did add a single mystery snail to each tank in hopes they'd help keep it clean. They seem busy, I guess they're doing something. 

In the big tank it's so new I gave the snail an algae flake to eat which it really liked. 

I take it the biofilm will go away? I'll research it, thank you. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:51 AM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

some updated pics. 

My Buddha tank is doing well. The Betta seems happy and is eating. I think I was overfeeding as I got some white algae, but I stopped having the light on so much and cut way down on the feeding and it mostly seems to have gone away. (also I checked the water with test strips and everything seems ok.) I added a leaf-hammock which Floyd the Betta has totally ignored. I made a ring to try and keep the floaters away from the pump, and I added a small feeding ring which seems to work well. I drop in 2 worm-shaped betta food pellets in the morning and he eats them right away. And I planted some grass which I hope will take off. 

image.jpeg.85921a4d7f13c00e41d37161d2a75dff.jpeg

My kids Betta fish named Louie, in the old 3 gallon tank that was on my desk with Floyd. Now it's on the kitchen bar top. And I put a piece of cardboard behind it so it doesn't get any sunlight. I need a better backing but for now it's serving it's purpose and the fish seems happy. 

image.jpeg.d50aab914e745a04ddc84ce261471c20.jpeg

My Garden tank I have started, I'm really hoping the plants do well. I'm trying to keep an eye on them, only give them 4 hours of light a day, and I put an aquarium backer behind the tank so it doesn't get any sunlight. So far (I think?) it's doing ok, but I guess it takes time to tell, it's only been a few days. Fingers crossed though because I really want this tank to do well and I don't have the best luck with plants. 

image.jpeg.748abc90c3b37fd66902a805534f2d32.jpeg

I know it's not fancy, I don't have any leftover hardscape or anything, I used it all on the other tanks. This whole tank is leftover soil, rock, gravel, etc. from the other tanks. I just wanted to put it to good use and see if the plants will grow. 

image.jpeg.16371e9abbfee838f57732981927a241.jpeg

Bottom left plant isn't looking so hot. I'm rooting for them all though. 

"You Can Do It!" 

image.gif.5fbbbb3ab16c9660ceca1436bf1baea2.gif

Only comment on the tank, I’d go with a plain color background 

On 11/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

the whole wall behind the tanks (about 10 feet away) is windows and french doors, I just worried they'd get too much direct sunlight. 

No worries here. I do window tanks only inches from the windowsill with direct afternoon through evening sun all the time. And I REFUSE to do windows. Nerites are my dream snail. I added 45 to 12 tanks total over the summer. Have not done more than a cursory wipe of the front glass only since. I don’t use backing on any. 
I set this tank up this summer. In my journal I think around July I did some spookie tank shots of the MASSIVE amounts of whit biofilm. Mystery snails love it but they are not good at glass algae. That is where nerites come in. 
Here is the tank then and now no window cleaning for me 😁 

I can’t find a full tank shot I. My photo library but look behind the fish. That goo covered EVERYTHING. 

Then23939CFB-F2F4-4129-A559-B969021C741F.jpeg.e30e11f5180586028d5411bbe458b53f.jpeg

nowE812D53F-E653-48F1-9BF3-9059803FDAE3.jpeg.60a1e7003e55dbebc5712d224175f918.jpeg

This window lights this tank magnificently during late after. It’s very serene. It’s just dim in the morning and in this photo. 

If you have any snail questions feel free to tag me. I’m retired so have plenty of time. 🤗 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:10 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yes it goes away as the tank matures and your snail will chew on it. Don't forget though- Mystery snails DO need to be fed check on @Guppysnail's threads for good food ideas. 

Yes I got some Algae flakes for the snails. They seem to really like them. 

On 11/29/2022 at 12:21 PM, Aiden Carter said:

Only comment on the tank, I’d go with a plain color background 

🤷‍♂️ I was just trying to block the sunlight. I guess I can take it off since everyone is saying don't worry about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. Some of the plants are doing well (like Hornswort), others are melting a bit though I read that's normal. I have java moss coming and plan on trying to make a floating moss ball with it. 

I have stock in the large tank now. Some neon Tetras (because of course), some Mollys, and a tiger loach and a cory catfish emerald. 

One of the Mollys is white with a light orange streak. It has orange circles in a clear backfin, and blue circles in the tail. It's really cool looking. 

Surprisingly the Catfish has become my favorite and I ordered a couple more. And the Loach just makes me laugh, I'm beginning to think it's insane. It just darts around the tank and acts crazy. So far for my first community tank I'm not seeing any of the fish being aggressive to any of the other fish. Everyone seems to get along. 

Some pics:

The Tetras. I got a dozen but ended up with 16. Not complaining though. 

image.jpeg.5ca59539c2de0a68738b0df15465259b.jpeg

The 30 gallon next to the 3 gallon with my daughters Betta (and a snail) 

image.jpeg.e0a0553b03f40b8085fca72d44c9c3a1.jpeg

The cool white/orange/blue-green Molly that I really like. The other 3 Mollys are (2 white, 1 black) 

image.jpeg.216315dca91840352fd493d296e9cb6c.jpeg

The insane Loach. I call him 'Rocket' because he blasts all over the tank. 

image.jpeg.f6587665ca11c8f7a10afd1fec8a7007.jpeg

the other 3 Mollys

image.jpeg.1b2d197d8d908a94730affa00a25674c.jpeg

The Super-Cool Catfish. Very hard to get a pic of him as he hardly stays still. I'll often find him just chilling laying on the bottom or hunting in the substrate. But of course when I try to take a picture of him he starts swimming all over. 

image.jpeg.c83988af92477aceb30ec52fa7e0b345.jpeg

I wasn't sure exactly how to feed so many fish at once as I'm used to just feeding Bettas. But I tried 2-3 dried shrimp, 3-4 dry blood worms, and a (generous) pinch of fish flakes,.. and everything seems to get eaten. The blood worms disappear pretty quick, the flakes are all gone within a few minutes, and then the Mollys seem to pick and nibble at the floating shrimp. I'll probably reduce the shrimp to just 1-2, or maybe only do them every other day. 

Still trying to figure out the proper proportions because I don't want excess food wasting away in the tank. I feed them once a day in the morning. Also I ordered some sinking food pellets that are supposed to be good for the catfish. I'm not 100% sure he's getting as much food as the others because they stay higher up in the tank and attack when the food hits. 

It's really a lot of fun having the tank and taking care of it.  My kids spend a lot of time looking at the fish and laughing at their behavior. My youngest daughter has started calling the black Molly, "Wednesday". She really seems to like the fish a lot. 

....I'm not convinced she isn't going to name all 16 of the Tetra as well. Lol

My original Betta in the Buddha tank in my office is doing well also. 

image.jpeg.89e319de6030258014c5708724c4e0ed.jpeg

Edited by Kamen_Kaiju
  • Like 2
  • Love 1