The Medieval 12G Aquatop Bookshelf Tank build for a Betta Rescue and Guppies!

At @Odd Duck's suggestion I ordered some clips which came today. First, glad I ordered 2 sets. I think 8 is good for this tank. 2 for each front corner, one for either side to hold up the rear and 2 in the back to keep the middle from bowing. Thanks friend these work great! Yes they're probably not made for 6mm glass because it took a little more effort to get them on but once on they are NOT going to budge- which frankly I like a lot better than clips that move or go flying off every time you lift the lid. The 2 at the back do so well that there is no need for any at the front (middle).

image000000(99).jpg.3c61efe984d7c53f370d884026f4310d.jpg

image000000(98).jpg.03e77f4574f0f213f73dec06afb6f2e5.jpg

HOWEVER there is a small issue. Now the lid is just slightly too long so I can't put side clips on one side yet. I'm taking the lid back to the plastic shop to see if they'll trim it for me- (I've taken the protective plastic cover off both sides they have on when cutting so I'm sure there will be words over how it may or may not come out good). It's fine if they make me order another one, I'll just use this one until the new one comes in. If they trim it then I'll go get some super fine sand paper and polish the newly cut side myself. 

Hopefully in the next couple of days I can add some Guppies. The tank should have Nitrate readings. I'll be testing it tomorrow. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos suck.
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 8:05 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

At @Odd Duck's suggestion I ordered some clips which came today. First, glad I ordered 2 sets. I think 8 is good for this tank. 2 for each front corner, one for either side to hold up the rear and 2 in the back to keep the middle from bowing. Thanks friend these work great! Yes they're probably not made for 6mm glass because it took a little more effort to get them on but once on they are NOT going to budge- which frankly I like a lot better than clips that move or go flying off every time you lift the lid. The 2 at the back do so well that there is no need for any at the front (middle).

image000000(99).jpg.3c61efe984d7c53f370d884026f4310d.jpg

image000000(98).jpg.03e77f4574f0f213f73dec06afb6f2e5.jpg

HOWEVER there is a small issue. Now the lid is just slightly too long so I can't put side clips on one side yet. I'm taking the lid back to the plastic shop to see if they'll trim it for me- (I've taken the protective plastic cover off both sides they have on when cutting so I'm sure there will be words over how it may or may not come out good). It's fine if they make me order another one, I'll just use this one until the new one comes in. If they trim it then I'll go get some super fine sand paper and polish the newly cut side myself. 

Hopefully in the next couple of days I can add some Guppies. The tank should have Nitrate readings. I'll be testing it tomorrow. 

Yay!  So glad they work for you!  If they can polish the edges, that might give you enough wiggle room.  How much too long is it? They may be Abel to just grind a smidge, then polish vs actually trimming then polishing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, @Odd Duck it was about a 1/16-1/4" (I didn't measure I just marked a line) of an inch so it was significant enough to have to be cut but frustrating that it was just that long. However went over to the plastic shop today and they said they could cut it but since the protective film was off it there is always a chance the plastic could get scratched, I told them I was ok with it. They also said, well your other edges are polished. Good thing the sales person the other day told me before I ordered a polish that I could do it myself with sandpaper. So I asked if they had any of that for sale and I'd just polish that edge myself. (though I hate sanding with a mad passion- flashbacks of woodshop in middle school) They gave me paper recommendations, the guy cut it without issues and I was on my way. I did what sanding I could tolerate- it's not as pretty as their machine sanding but it's ok with me- it's on a side so only I will probably ever notice it. Yes, the machine sanded side looks shiny and clear if you get up on it, but most people aren't going to be doing that- especially on the side of the tank, where my work is. So for now I'm happy with the way it is. 

image000000(101).jpg.14dbb99b1c9df25f963002b7483b84e0.jpg

I also put 3 clips along the back side- once I had all the side clips on I did notice the center front bowing some, not all the way but more than when you get closer to the clips. You know what. Nobody is really going to notice that either so I'm going to be happy with it. Even adding 3 clips didn't really change anything but what it does do is keep track of almost all of the clips I have, lol. I think I only have 2 more in reserve among my fish supplies. I'm seriously tempted to buy more just in case they ever stop making them!!!! Seems ridiculous since I don't plan on doing anymore tanks any time soon- but it's that just in case side of me that thinks these things. 

I had to add another heater today on the other side- the small heater I did have that's adequate for the size can only get the tank to 78 despite it being set to 80- but the tank is soooo long and there isn't a whole lot of water flow besides an airstone on the other side of the tank from the sponge filter- so I'm hoping the preset paddle heater will help bring it to at least 80. 

I strip tested the water today and I've got 0/0 Ammonia/Nitrite and 10 Nitrate so I'm going to put the Guppies in tomorrow! White's home is almost ready for him!!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I’m sure your sanding job is just fine!  I’m on my phone so I can’t blow it up much but it looks good to me. If it bugs you, just get one step finer on the grit or go after it for a little longer with what you have. Use wet-sanding paper and I’d bet that 220 grit would be great.  Tape the sand paper down and run the lid over it to keep the edge flat.

Happy to hear you’re cycled and ready for guppies and soon to be ready for White. I still think he looks like a Cézanne painting.  😃 

714D1E94-8C92-4C2E-8BEC-78FD5259B106.jpeg

676A6BBB-4EC1-4460-AB22-0AEFF55C1853.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Add pic.
  • Love 2

We are moving forward! Today I tested the water and it was a green light to move forward with fish. Even the extra heater got the water up to where I'd like it (80). So I caught the 4 Grass Guppies I recently traded and the solo white Guppy (gosh I wish his 5 other companions survived QT they would look so nice in this tank) and made a short film for you all of the release, I apologize in advance for a) the washed out video (hindsight I should have raised the tripod so the camera would have adjusted lighting) and b) the hair algae on the glass. You don't really notice it in person until you see pictures, lol. I promise you later I found my magnet cleaner with the razor and cleaned it up though more needs doing: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8tg6CzGpizJx8U1Q8

Here's a couple more short videos from after the release:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4aDYH5ogLyuNgkM29

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ypaw4hs5LP2mA1TA8 (you can hear my Victorian Clock, Mr. Darcy, tocking in the background)

It's funny how I get a small thrill every time one of the fish goes through the arch:

image000000(107).jpg.87992ec92b9a29e1feb30f2cb3aa40f4.jpg

They congregate a lot and split then back again, it's fun to watch. 

image000000(108).jpg.dad5b4febbf97c14cb3fbf6664826849.jpg

It's nice to have some other life in it now. Not much longer now and White will be in his permanent home! Hope he likes his friends!!

image000000(110).jpg.e85eb4036c6df12fea9c7ac35a90973f.jpg

image000000(109).jpg.870a68411993d2d2b6a79d9a3ecfb66d.jpg

• Love 6

Ummm, @Odd Duck, these clips are genius. I was mulling over the fact that once I put all the clips on even at the back I still had front sag. And yes, you mentioned putting one in front- it would be kind of obnoxious- though solve the sagging problem. Then one night my mind would not turn off (got little sleep that night) however sometimes "the Committee" comes up with a good idea (and this was a subject it kept bringing up at the endless meeting)- why not use a clip on the LID!?

Problem solved: image000001(10).jpg.ccdddef0ad27bbfd184f2111f17e1199.jpg

image000000(126).jpg.c461fdccac969d3cee0501e0a6f49d6a.jpg

It even helps me grip the lid a bit better when lifting it (though I won't use it as a handle just in case it does decide to come off- but the lid is about as thick as the glass so it's tight).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Katherine, I do believe they are a Zebra Nerite but has tighter stripes than I'm used to seeing so they stood out in the tank- I picked them specifically because of the unique (to me) pattern! 

I wondered if that might be it. Much tighter stripes than I'm used to seeing as well.

• Like 1