The Medieval 12G Aquatop Bookshelf Tank build for a Betta Rescue and Guppies!

On 11/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Thanks @Patrick_G I will definitely consider that. Would something like eco complete work? In the past I've bought emersed growth mats from a seller on Etsy but they are currently out.

I think eco complete would be difficult, but I’ve never tried it. Since the tissue culture cups are spendy I followed the instructions from some YouTube aquascapers faithfully to give it the best chance of working. 

On 11/15/2022 at 5:40 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

... and this is the Spiderwood "tree" for the tank.

Wow, that’s a good one! I was just at the LFS admiring their new shipment of spiderwood. It’s cool stuff. 

• Thanks 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea oh yes, I love the Foo Dogs and if I go with the Asian theme I've had very small ones on my internet list for a while I can buy.

1255429008_foodog.jpg.3cc822cef078cc5ccbacef35b02475a6.jpg

I don't want to go overboard on statuary though which is easy to do if you like this kind of thing there are some neat pieces out there but I've seen people overuse- and the styles don't end up matching and it looks jumbled. There is a fine line. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

@Mmiller2001 if I could ask you a question- for a low tech person like myself if I were to try and do some Monte Carlo and used some sort of aqua soil what might you recommend? I see a lot of posts for ADA brand (including their Amazonia and "regular" versions) but there are others and the option of just using organic garden dirt. I would maybe like to try @Patrick_G's recommendation of dry starting it if I go that direction (attempting a carpet plant for the 3rd time). 

Once established is there any avoiding using root tabs (I'm assuming carpets need root tabs and not column dosing necessarily)?

Should I bother? 

On 11/16/2022 at 4:26 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea oh yes, I love the Foo Dogs and if I go with the Asian theme I've had very small ones on my internet list for a while I can buy.

1255429008_foodog.jpg.3cc822cef078cc5ccbacef35b02475a6.jpg

I don't want to go overboard on statuary though which is easy to do if you like this kind of thing there are some neat pieces out there but I've seen people overuse- and the styles don't end up matching and it looks jumbled. There is a fine line. 

I’ve seen some very interesting stone buddhas about…maybe it’ll inspire some peace in an aggressive fish 😜

• Love 1

On 11/15/2022 at 5:40 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

... and this is the Spiderwood "tree" for the tank.

Wow, that’s a good one! I was just at the LFS admiring their new shipment of spiderwood. It’s cool stuff. 

Here’s some pics of my little cube with the lazy dry start method the carpet is 13 months old now and still looking prime. The substrate was half Fluval stratum and half gravel. In the other cube the substrate is mostly Fluval stratum and some fine UNS soil on top. 

51572F9D-1BBC-4052-94FD-347171840A7B.jpeg

8E9D74EE-FE0F-496C-8869-6A336DD9183F.jpeg

2256E09B-3EDD-4730-867D-6C1F51E18872.jpeg

468FA587-3195-48D6-BB2A-6C20C5A67327.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:20 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Patrick_G do you root tab your carpet or? 

And, are you happy with the soil/substrate mixture you used?

I didn’t add any root tabs and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I had very low expectations since carpets are supposed to be so difficult. Overall I think the one without gravel preformed better, but I did use two tissue cultures in that one as opposed to one culture in the tank with the gravel/stratum mix. 

• Thanks 1

Hi!  I’m so happy your journaling your new project!  

I know you found the heater you’re planning on using, but if you haven’t bought it yet, I bought the Cobalt Neo Therm Pro.  It’s not cheap by any means, but I’d rather spend more on a heater and have it last and more importantly, stay consistent.  I live in an old house with radiator heat so the temp fluctuates quite a bit.  This heater has stayed consistent within half a degree (it’s in a betta tank).  It’s flat and stays attached to the glass super secure.  I originally bought a 100w but it was overkill and long but I now have the 75w and it’s perfect and still fits vertically with about 4 inches of substrate to clear.  It’s working out great so far so I figured I’d mention it.  I searched for a flat heater that got good reviews and I’m happy with this.

Also, I’ve used that black background you bought on 2 tanks and it’s great.  Super easy to put on.  I actually found it much easier to cut it to exact dimensions of the tank before applying.  The material is a little bit thin so when I left a little extra to trim off the edges after it was attached to the glass, i found the film to be too flimsy and difficult to cut, even with a razor or exacto.  I’m not sure if this makes sense. So instead  I just took my measurements, cut it larger than what I’d need, laid it flat on a table and taped the edges to the table/board and cut it to exact dimensions with a brand new blade holding a ruler down to guide me and using a steady hand to make sure my line was straight.  It seemed to be easier for me this way with this particular brand film.  

Good luck!  Looking forward to seeing your progress!  

I meant to say the film was flimsy - not slims,  thx!  

Edited by Lauren A
Sorry, had to reword something
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:54 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Mmiller2001 if I could ask you a question- for a low tech person like myself if I were to try and do some Monte Carlo and used some sort of aqua soil what might you recommend? I see a lot of posts for ADA brand (including their Amazonia and "regular" versions) but there are others and the option of just using organic garden dirt. I would maybe like to try @Patrick_G's recommendation of dry starting it if I go that direction (attempting a carpet plant for the 3rd time). 

Once established is there any avoiding using root tabs (I'm assuming carpets need root tabs and not column dosing necessarily)?

Should I bother? 

I forgot to mention this.  I’m using Aquario Neo Soil in a small planted section of a tank I’ve had running for about 8 months or so and I’m very happy with it.  I  like Fluval Stratum so far too, but can’t comment on it long term.  It seems to be giving my plants what they need on my newest tank.  Long term as far as they hold up, I’m not really sure.  

I used Aquasolum in the past and it’s also good stuff.  But after spending the other day sort of comparing each of them online side by side, Aquario Neo won.  

I think Monte Carlo is super difficult to grow submersed.   It could’ve just been that I didn’t have as much experience at the time but if I were to try growing again I’d definitely use an aquasoil.  

On 11/16/2022 at 1:17 PM, Lauren A said:

Cobalt Neo Therm Pro

Hey @Lauren A thanks for the tips! You're right that heater is no joke as far as price but if it works it's worth it. I did actually order the other and at least for now I'm going to try it first and see what shakes out. I am putting that on an internet list for future as we all know heaters have a tendency to fail- some a lot sooner than others! 

On 11/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, Lauren A said:

I think Monte Carlo is super difficult to grow submersed.

I agree, I've tried it 3x. I will say I didn't put a lot of effort into it and ended up pulling it out of every tank (it didn't die but it didn't really live either). There is one tank left where it's just kind of there in a tiny clump. I also use Eco Complete and I'm not sure that's the best substrate for it. 

On 11/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, Lauren A said:

Fluval Stratum

This may be what I'll be getting as most of the other well reviewed soils are frankly more expensive than I'm willing to buy them for especially when I've already failed at carpeting plants and since I'm low tech I'm not going to throw much hope in it but since this is a short tank that will have a good light I'll give it another swing! The Aqua Neo you pointed out is reasonably priced but not in my local stores unfortunately.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Hi folks! 

Well yesterday I went to my mailing address (read: Mum and Dad's house) to get my shipment(s). For this tank I got all the decor I mentioned earlier in the thread, the window cling, heater, a spare flat heater, the 3M jewelry hangers aka lid handles, and filter. The tank is coming today but it's going to their house and I only go there 1x a week, my Dad has threatened to hand it to me with water in it (I get a LOT of packages, sorry Dad!). 

Firstly, I'm actually kind of excited (as excited as one can be anyway) about trying the new heater. I knew it was small but seeing it in person puts it into a better perspective: 1682282642_miniheater1.jpg.1523597d1f0a44b3cd9f2acff894b3e0.jpg

71142263_miniheater2.jpg.86700f4442a4ef07971b21816dfa8e45.jpg

Then the decor. I put a ruler up so you can see where the decor would hit in the tank that is just over 9" tall.

I actually really like all of it. I still think we're going the Medieval theme direction but I don't think I'll be sending the Buddha hand back- there's got to be somewhere in the future I can use this. As usual with this sort of decoration it's a different color than what you see online- it's black. So if I did use this in the tank I would have to be sure to put a curtain of green plants behind it to make it stand out with a black background. However, envisioning it without the plastic plants and the "sand" buried in the gravel it would make a nice addition to a tank IMO: 1926698586_buddhahand2.jpg.b681248bca187d0dec0811544f0880b3.jpg

897611311_buddhahand1.jpg.98cfe196baeb8129318c9c9dc46a433b.jpg

As you see above I got the rock stacks too and I also really like them- they may be just fine in the Medieval theme tank if placed right OR be a great small addition to any of my other tanks as they are small and unimposing: 1933230985_rockstacks1.jpg.6af427c8770a497a968b341e834e5c4b.jpg

Last but not least is the Medieval Archway. It's a very nice piece- it's unfiinished glaze so it's super light colored: 10213357_arch1.jpg.6b30980ebb4d959d0db18b7d3a9481e1.jpg

What I really like about it is that it's not "unfinished" in the back- so if I ever have the tank on a counter top it will be beautiful from both sides: 796745380_arch2.jpg.0a420b0aebd8171ec38e59194be8e030.jpg

I tried running it under water and it does indeed get darker as I suspected- and it will be even darker than this pic because the ceramic has not been entirely soaked just run under the faucet for a second: 868174326_archwaywet.jpg.a5df6932d2b89dec2389f5477bae6438.jpg

• Love 3

In the last couple of days I've made 2 trips to different big box stores to stock some plants for this tank. I happen to really like the tube plants they sell as I know what I'm getting and it's pest free stuff- not contaminated by another tank and I can just plop them in the water. They usually have a lot of good Anubias and Java. They were also having a multiple buy 15% off sale. I bought 9 plants for this tank so far, mostly small Anubias species, some Java Windelov and 1 Narrow Leaf Java. I put some in my extra plant tank and had to put a couple of the larger Anubias in my Accidental Oto grow out tank20944022_2plantschillin1117.jpg.04b7769fa6bed25730328fc08e48381d.jpg846575847_lotsofplants1117.jpg.3bd6dedc8e11c2660aafe49c2d32421a.jpg

I also bought an 8lb bag of Fluval Stratum. I think I will try the method of dry starting a carpet plant that @Patrick_G suggested. However in case it doesn't work out what I plan on doing is using both Fluval Stratum and Eco Complete in different sections of the tank to give color contrasts and interest to the bottom of the tank. So if the carpet plant doesn't grow you can still see the shape of a pathway or whatever I decide the ground should look like. 

I still have to find a decent source for the Monte Carlo

• Like 2
  • Love 2

OK peeps, this is happening. I haven't gotten the tank yet from my mailing address (read: parental unit's house), the light is also there- but they will be picked up Wednesday night. As it happens everyone in my family is doing their own thing on Thanksgiving so I will be alone (don't feel sorry for me I've done THIS a million times due to my work schedule) on Thursday and the TANK BUILDING WILL BEGIN! Between bites of turkey and Stovetop stuffing I'll be working on this project (yes I'll still be cooking!- and I don't care what ANYONE says Stovetop stuffing is hands down the best stuffing) With @Patrick_G's encouragement (can we call it that? can I blame it on you later if it doesn't work?) I am going to attempt for the 3rd time a carpeting plant. I decided if I fail I'm going to DOUBLE fail and try TWO different kinds of carpeting plants. Monte Carlo (which I've tried and @Patrick_G suggested) and Staurogyne Repens. I'm hoping dry starting the tank is what keeps me from failing this time! I don't know if I can be as patient as Patrick but I decided I'd give it a month to grow in. That might be my patience limit for it. I'd like to get my QT tanks emptied and fish moved around sooner rather than later. I'm sure my QT fish feel the same way if they were given the choice. IF though I see that maybe it needs more time and it's going well I might be able to squeeze out another week possibly 2. I'm impressed by the specimens I got so here's hoping they have a chance of making it!:

Staurogyne Repens and  Micranthemum Monte Carlo.jpg

• Like 3

Stovetop stuffing is delicious and extremely versatile. I love it in breakfast burritos. 😋

I didn't know anyone else used the phrase "parental unit (s)" 🤣 *high five*

I'm so excited to see the tank in it's home. Even if it's only at 80% humidity it'll be really cool to look at while it fills in. I am horribly impatient as well... Even when watercoloring I get tempted to bust out the hair dryer. It only gets used for art anyway. So I usually work on 3-5 pieces at a time to keep myself from messing up the main piece.

Have you gotten your soil yet?

Nevermind. Fluval stratum, I remember now

You know, you could process some moss and paint it onto your decorations and dry start those as well!

• Like 1

@Minanora yes, I'll be using Fluval Stratum- it was readily available locally. I will also be using EcoComplete that I already have on hand but I will not be mixing the two. I'm going to be creating a "floor plan" of sorts- areas where the Stratum will sit for the carpets and then Eco Complete in the other areas where hardscape and rhizone plants will sit. This way if the carpets fail I'll still have some change/interest around the bottom of the tank/substrate. 

• Like 1

Oh I did fail to mention that on my walks I've kept my eyes peeled for decent looking rocks. Usually having at least 1 pocket full by the time I get back. They may not all get used but I've got a decent variety going so far. 1225220142_hardscaperocks.jpg.be2cd2daa42979349b3319f978c790bd.jpg

This week I also found a good sized rock that I believe would help hide some equipment and look really nice in the tank. It might be TOO big as far as taking up space but if it works I might have to shrug at its size. It's beautiful wet. There is a small portion of it that looks like it might have been spray painted or gotten something black on it, so I'm going to take some sandpaper to it or rub it up against cement and try and get it off or see if it's part of the rock (certainly doesn't appear to be). That is not pictured but this is the rock and the little ones I found on that day. Me carrying a small boulder must've looked funny to passersby...oh the things we do for our tanks.....1984799095_hardscape1.jpg.b5e4c0dbc11a954bbcca7489b1e87b15.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/22/2022 at 3:56 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Oh I did fail to mention that on my walks I've kept my eyes peeled for decent looking rocks. Usually having at least 1 pocket full by the time I get back. They may not all get used but I've got a decent variety going so far. 1225220142_hardscaperocks.jpg.be2cd2daa42979349b3319f978c790bd.jpg

This week I also found a good sized rock that I believe would help hide some equipment and look really nice in the tank. It might be TOO big as far as taking up space but if it works I might have to shrug at its size. It's beautiful wet. There is a small portion of it that looks like it might have been spray painted or gotten something black on it, so I'm going to take some sandpaper to it or rub it up against cement and try and get it off or see if it's part of the rock (certainly doesn't appear to be). That is not pictured but this is the rock and the little ones I found on that day. Me carrying a small boulder must've looked funny to passersby...oh the things we do for our tanks.....1984799095_hardscape1.jpg.b5e4c0dbc11a954bbcca7489b1e87b15.jpg

I try to only use some fun quartz rocks in my tanks…tends to look snazzy!

BF347C25-77A4-4AEB-8709-F8A9F9BA0000.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You have a real knack for theming tanks @xXInkedPhoenixX including mum's tank!  I quite like those Hygger lights. If you've never had one before, you're going to love the 24/7 mode. It will gently wake up your tank with a sunrise, dim, then it goes a click brighter, and maybe another click brighter, then does the same thing for daylight, and then the daylight also goes dimmer, dimmer, later on and then finally it does moonlight, and then dimmer, dimmer, off.

I really need to try this mode.  I have two of these lights but have not used that feature yet.  I’m hoping they go on sale soon as I need a couple more. 

Edited by redfish