The Medieval 12G Aquatop Bookshelf Tank build for a Betta Rescue and Guppies!

Hello all! I thought I'd put up a tank build as I know some people enjoy them. I had not planned on building another tank. I have 5 and that's enough- it would be even cooler if I could consolidate my tanks but at least for now the 5 tank house was working for me. At some point you become the crazy fish person and while I don't care if someone labels me- I'm more concerned about how much workload to enjoyment I get. HOWEVER, when I took home 4 sick Betta from this thread here: 

A COLOSSAL IDIOT walks into a pet store....(an illustrated tail - intentional misspelling- of woe)

Those of you who have been following the above thread know most of this. I was prepared to keep them if I could not find homes. My Mum (as I'd planned) was happy to take one- but I had to have plans for the other 3. One was easy enough and she's living life finely in my Flex9. I have 2 males left. One still in treatment. So as mentioned in the above thread recently- I had a ligthbulb moment- I am going to build this dream tank of mine- a 12G Aquatop Bookshelf Tank. I have a 4.12 gallon cube from Aquatop and their low iron glass is gorgeous and their quality is impeccable. I ALWAYS admire bookshelf style nano tanks when I see them- but until now didn't have an excuse to build one. 

Now is the time. 

I'm moving the 10 CPD I have from the cube to this tank, along with one of 3 possible male Betta options- but it's really between Koianu, my resident Betta or my soon to be permanent resident Betta, White Twintail Halfmoon (name still TBA). 

Now I have to say I know the vast majority of the tank keepers here love a planted tank- and this tank will have plenty of plants- however I also know most of us aren't into themed tanks- which of course- to each their own. However, this tank is LITERALLY going on a bookshelf and everyone's favorite tank in my house is affectionately dubbed "The Angry Man" tank- which has a Mayan temple head and I think he's lovely: 1846018120_theangryman2022.jpg.7be476276fc81e467859726586882876.jpg

So since everyone  (read: in my personal life) loves the Angry Man (and I do too clearly or I wouldn't have done it this way) I decided bookshelf tank is going to get its own theme. Generally 1 focal decoration, maybe some secondary stuff but not much. And I'm choosy when it comes to decor, I like things that can look like rock/stone "the real thing" in miniature. At least I'd like to think so. 

Tank build under way! Equipment/basics first in next post!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Title Change!
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

On 11/14/2022 at 4:22 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hello all! I thought I'd put up a tank build as I know some people enjoy them. I had not planned on building another tank. I have 5 and that's enough- it would be even cooler if I could consolidate my tanks but at least for now the 5 tank house was working for me. At some point you become the crazy fish person and while I don't care if someone labels me- I'm more concerned about how much workload to enjoyment I get. HOWEVER, when I took home 4 sick Betta from this thread here: 

A COLOSSAL IDIOT walks into a pet store....(an illustrated tail - intentional misspelling- of woe)

Those of you who have been following the above thread know most of this. I was prepared to keep them if I could not find homes. My Mum (as I'd planned) was happy to take one- but I had to have plans for the other 3. One was easy enough and she's living life finely in my Flex9. I have 2 males left. One still in treatment. So as mentioned in the above thread recently- I had a ligthbulb moment- I am going to build this dream tank of mine- a 12G Aquatop Bookshelf Tank. I have a 4.12 gallon cube from Aquatop and their low iron glass is gorgeous and their quality is impeccable. I ALWAYS admire bookshelf style nano tanks when I see them- but until now didn't have an excuse to build one. 

Now is the time. 

I'm moving the 10 CPD I have from the cube to this tank, along with one of 3 possible male Betta options- but it's really between Koianu, my resident Betta or my soon to be permanent resident Betta, White Twintail Halfmoon (name still TBA). 

Now I have to say I know the vast majority of the tank keepers here love a planted tank- and this tank will have plenty of plants- however I also know most of us aren't into themed tanks- which of course- to each their own. However, this tank is LITERALLY going on a bookshelf and everyone's favorite tank in my house is affectionately dubbed "The Angry Man" tank- which has a Mayan temple head and I think he's lovely: 1846018120_theangryman2022.jpg.7be476276fc81e467859726586882876.jpg

So since everyone  (read: in my personal life) loves the Angry Man (and I do too clearly or I wouldn't have done it this way) I decided bookshelf tank is going to get its own theme. Generally 1 focal decoration, maybe some secondary stuff but not much. And I'm choosy when it comes to decor, I like things that can look like rock/stone "the real thing" in miniature. At least I'd like to think so. 

Tank build under way! Equipment/basics first in next post!

White Twin Tail Half-moon!!

• Like 1

THE TANK: Yesterday I started the tank part ordering, including the tank: 

2093719182_thetank112022.jpg.83efc17baa062c1746959459fabf9b6a.jpg

For those of you unfamiliar with this tank it is 35.4" wide/viewing space, 9.5" high and 8.25" deep. Lots of length, and after measuring last night when I got home this tank will take up the near entirety of my bookshelf top. What? You might say- you ordered the tank before measuring?? Yep. I'm a master eyeballer- I just wanted to see how much wiggle space on either side I had- which was about a couple inches total. Trust me. Of course I got the lid- I'm not a fan of tanks without them. I don't have many pics of my bookshelf as it is often dark when I think to take a pic- however this is an older one (has my Scapes from Scraps vase on it which has long since moved but a terrarium is in it's place now which will also have to move) everying on top of the bookshelf clearly needs new homes- and some of the stuff on the wall will need to move up or off to the side in order to clear the aquarium. There will be better pics in the future of course, this is the long dark bookcase:

892056764_Thebookshelf112022.jpg.6b8c0a9e78ea9504586bf6fcd0e086f3.jpg

The bookshelf is filled with my book collection which having an aquarium on top makes me a bit nervous about. I will have to consider moving some of my more precious books, including a signed copy of Tim Burton's The Art of Tim Burton. I would likely shrivel if anything ever happened to that book. 

THE LIGHT: Anyhow, tank ordered. Now on to the equipment. I originally wanted clip on lights but this is a very long tank and I am limited on outlets even with a power strip- plus most clip ons that i like don't have a timer so I'd have to plug 3-4 clip ons- into some sort of timer so that unfortunately for now isn't going to work- plus it would be pricey). I live in a very old home so outlets are a constant consideration AND I also don't have wifi so the hi-tech stuff is out of the question- I like low tech anyway. So unfortunately I did have to order a typical bracket light. I also needed a way for the light to turn on/off on its own so the Hygger light I got (for 30-36" tanks) has a DIY inline switch I can choose time, light intensity and color. This is great since I am limited on plug space I also like that it has an inline remote so I don't have to worry about losing that:

1354180547_thelight112022.jpg.9945679ed14bacb9be6ad93275cc46d6.jpg

THE HEATER: If you follow any of my regular posts you'll know not only am I not a fan of high-tech I'm also not a huge fan of heaters- unfortunately having Betta makes a heater a necessity. The other issue is I live in a house full of micro-climates and the living room is much colder than where the other 5 tanks are. While I'm sure what I plan on putting in the tank besides the Betta would be fine- the Betta would not. So I searched around- I have one very similar to the ACO heater- I'll be honest I don't like it because it's bulky- especially for a tank this size. Lots of maneuvering would have to happen to cover it. I wanted either a flat heater or a typical wand type heater. I have the ACO look alike (I got a long while ago prior to ACO even having a heater) and a couple of others on standby if this one doesn't work. What I liked about it is that it's small (4"!!) and has adjustable heat: 1194790410_theheater112022.jpg.7095094fd4c7f70f2c7a80e3b2d0ada7.jpg

THE FILTER: Thought for about 5 minutes on an HOB (even the Aquatop one) but I love me a sponge and I like their reliablity. I already have a lithium battery backed air pump with 2 airline ports so as long as this tank is I'll likely need two sponges. I wanted compact and off the floor of the aquarium. I already have this small one on hand:

1210023024_minisponge112022.jpg.2a4f9d51a8a8afb56a763e82cd6b8ed5.jpg

....and this will help one side of the tank and be easy to hide but as you can see only for a 5 gallon tank. So I got another Hygger filter that I've used before (in my Mum's tank I put the double version of this one) and have had good experience with. It handles up to 15 gallons and is very nicely adjustable: 

1246882837_thefilter112022.jpg.788ddf4ff080e66994d324cbcdc50362.jpg

MISCELLANEOUS: For once I'm going to do a black background. You'll figure out why as this thread continues because with either theme I choose that I have in mind will benefit from black and you'll see it will also with my fish choices. I absolutely abhor the idea of painting the back of this beautiful tank. So I'm going with my typical move: Static Cling Window treatment. Found the perfect black that even has an easy to use/cut grid: 

1306598088_thebackground112022.jpg.08be5ef23abfbeeac8e8e5e9663b65ab.jpg

Also, If you've ever had an Aquatop or similar with a lid- they are IMO hard to get the lid off and with a glass lid this makes me nervous. I found the best solution for me in the 3M Command Aisle for my 4.12 gallon back when I started it. So I'm going to do it again. Note: for me the command strip eventually failed so I no longer trust it. I've got double sided super sticky siliicone strips that work like a champ. I'm getting two for this tank- one on each side: 

247903203_thelidhandles112022.jpg.3f0f76e341440c2d97d27588b175a6ef.jpg

All of this is on its way to my house while I continue to plan. More on fish next. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 11/14/2022 at 5:26 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

For those of you unfamiliar with this tank it is 35.4" wide/viewing space, 9.5" high and 8.25" deep. Lots of length, and after measuring last night when I got home this tank will take up the near entirety of my bookshelf top. What? You might say- you ordered the tank before measuring?? Yep. I'm a master eyeballer- I just wanted to see how much wiggle space on either side I had- which was about a couple inches total. Trust me. Of course I got the lid- I'm not a fan of tanks without them. I don't have many pics of my bookshelf as it is often dark when I think to take a pic- however this is an older one (has my Scapes from Scraps vase on it which has long since moved but a terrarium is in it's place now which will also have to move) everying on top of the bookshelf clearly needs new homes- and some of the stuff on the wall will need to move up or off to the side in order to clear the aquarium. There will be better pics in the future of course, this is the long dark bookcase:

The bookshelf is filled with my book collection which having an aquarium on top makes me a bit nervous about. I will have to consider moving some of my more precious books, including a signed copy of Tim Burton's The Art of Tim Burton. I would likely shrivel if anything ever happened to that book. 

THE LIGHT: Anyhow, tank ordered. Now on to the equipment. I originally wanted clip on lights but this is a very long tank and I am limited on outlets even with a power strip- plus most clip ons that i like don't have a timer so I'd have to plug 3-4 clip ons- into some sort of timer so that unfortunately for now isn't going to work- plus it would be pricey). I live in a very old home so outlets are a constant consideration AND I also don't have wifi so the hi-tech stuff is out of the question- I like low tech anyway. So unfortunately I did have to order a typical bracket light. I also needed a way for the light to turn on/off on its own so the Hygger light I got (for 30-36" tanks) has a DIY inline switch I can choose time, light intensity and color. This is great since I am limited on plug space I also like that it has an inline remote so I don't have to worry about losing that:1354180547_thelight112022.jpg.9945679ed14bacb9be6ad93275cc46d6.jpg

THE HEATER: If you follow any of my regular posts you'll know not only am I not a fan of high-tech I'm also not a huge fan of heaters- unfortunately having Betta makes a heater a necessity. The other issue is I live in a house full of micro-climates and the living room is much colder than where the other 5 tanks are. While I'm sure what I plan on putting in the tank besides the Betta would be fine- the Betta would not. So I searched around- I have one very similar to the ACO heater- I'll be honest I don't like it because it's bulky- especially for a tank this size. Lots of maneuvering would have to happen to cover it. I wanted either a flat heater or a typical wand type heater. I have the ACO look alike (I got a long while ago prior to ACO even having a heater) and a couple of others on standby if this one doesn't work. What I liked about it is that it's small (4"!!) and has adjustable heat: 1194790410_theheater112022.jpg.7095094fd4c7f70f2c7a80e3b2d0ada7.jpg

THE FILTER: Thought for about 5 minutes on an HOB (even the Aquatop one) but I love me a sponge and I like their reliablity. I already have a lithium batter backed air pump with 2 airline ports so as long as this tank is I'll likely need two sponges. I wanted compact and off the floor of the aqarium. I already have this small one on hand:

....and this will help one side of the tank and be easy to hide but as you can see only for a 5 gallon tank. So I got another Hygger filter that I've used before (in my Mum's tank I put the double version of this one) and have had good experience with. It handles up to 15 gallons and is very nicely adjustable: 1246882837_thefilter112022.jpg.788ddf4ff080e66994d324cbcdc50362.jpg

MISCELLANEOUS: For once I'm going to do a black background. You'll figure out why as this thread continues because with either theme I choose that I have in mind will benefit from black and you'll see it will also with my fish choices. I absolutely abhore the idea of painting the back of this beautiful tank. So I'm going with my typical move: Static Cling Window treatment. Found the perfect black that even has an easy to use/cut grid: 

Also, If you've ever had an Aquatop or similar with a lid- they are IMO hard to get the lid off and with a glass lid this makes me nervous. I found the best solution for me in the 3M Command Aisle for my 4.12 gallon back when I started it. So I'm going to do it again. Note: for me the command strip eventually failed so I no longer trust it. I've got double sided super sticky siliicone strips that work like a champ. I'm getting two for this tank- one on each side: 247903203_thelidhandles112022.jpg.3f0f76e341440c2d97d27588b175a6ef.jpg

All of this is on its way to my house while I continue to plan. More on fish next. 

I love the look of that plant vase! What species is it?

You have a real knack for theming tanks @xXInkedPhoenixX including mum's tank!  I quite like those Hygger lights. If you've never had one before, you're going to love the 24/7 mode. It will gently wake up your tank with a sunrise, dim, then it goes a click brighter, and maybe another click brighter, then does the same thing for daylight, and then the daylight also goes dimmer, dimmer, later on and then finally it does moonlight, and then dimmer, dimmer, off.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

THE FISH: So as stated in the title and earlier in this post CPDs (Celestial Pearl Danios) are moving into this tank. I've had around 10 in my 4.12 gallon cube since I started it along with a baby (the only one I'm aware of). Because it's such a jungle now I rarely see them so I'm looking forward to seeing them more often in a longer tank zipping about. I will give them plenty of plants to hide in but they'll have to come out from cover from time to time. It's like playing Where's Waldo for them now: 

1435859886_cpd4galcube.jpg.ea6761d351c2a84eb30ada028791db85.jpg

So as mentioned in the title of this thread: Guppies. This last weekend I went out with the Better Half (B.H.) to the LFS to pick up some frozen food and to kill some time/get inspired. B.H. named Koianu the Betta and happens to really like the Guppies I have because of their high level of activity and lets face it Guppies are beautiful little fish. We looked through the whole LFS for fun saw some neat fish and plants. I was personally struck by the "Assorted Guppies" tank. There were lots of beautiful Guppies- but weirdly enough for me my favorites were all white. So ethereal swimming around with their other Guppy friends. I was enamoured. So was B.H.. - but I rarely buy fish on impulse. We left and went about the rest of our weekend. However yesterday as I sat thinking and ordering for this tank and its possible themes I kept thinking about how good these Guppies would look. How they would go with either of the potential Betta and be a stark contrast to a black background and their CPD bottom dwelling partners. They would also be very easy to spot. 

After work yesterday I drove straight to the LFS knowing their Guppy supply, it being a small store, would likely be greatly depleted from Saturday. I was right but thankfully (and of course since they're not "colorful") there were plenty of white ones left. at 3 for 10 I got 6 last night: 484012221_whiguppieshome112022.jpg.ac4536fea243a8ec5b55b3f24d63c9cb.jpg489468409_guppies112022.jpg.cde5baeac70b51e13ddb45389b22ff0b.jpg

I felt this was the perfect time to get them anyway. They'll have to be in QT for at least 3-4 weeks and that should be just in time to be put in the new tank. I set up one of my temporary critter keepers and they are doing well. One of them is less active than the others so a little Aquarium Salt and Kanaplex was put in the water. They all seemed to eat well this morning. Sorry- Guppies are IMPOSSIBLE to get good pics of after many last night this is as good as it got: 

520321550_guppiesinqt112022.jpg.f4e638bd6ffbf46797c27e2ee3dbdef7.jpg

361118707_aguppyinqt112022.jpg.dda7ac3a2c1982b834efe768167d41fd.jpg

Last but certainly not least the candidates for the 12G tank Betta: Koianu is my resident Betta, he's in the Oto grow out which is a 10G rimmed tank. It's bare bottom and currently divided for near future baby Otos to grow out- but when I have no babies there will be no divider and he has the run of the place. This is a warm tank and he fits in well. He's very large so stands out and is super active. My only concern is whether or not he'd tolerate super active Guppies but they'd go well with his look because he also has shocks of bright white in his markings: 

894212709_koianuoc7.jpg.77e99b3ac4d2a43ad70bc91d96af6f30.jpg

This is his current set up with the divider wall: 

736038161_AccidentalOto2022.jpg.062082bc9a39c9b69e373f91c7242e72.jpg

Then we have candidate 2, White Twintail Halfmoon, he is recently recovered from the Colossal Idiot thread and since he had no takers on the local aquarium club buy/sell/swap forum he gets to stay with me. If Koianu moves to the 12G then White will move into the above tank, but White may also move into the 12G. Currently he's number one choice for this because he has a very mellow personality and I doubt he'll have issue with tankmates- I've never seen him flare. BUT- I do have to be concerned about his long fins and Guppies possibly nipping, but maybe they'll be more concerned with each other as Guppies often are. This as some of you know is White: 

1415974153_twintailhalfmoonsun1142022.jpg.84c155e320721073dd8b1ff818277e44.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 11/14/2022 at 9:34 AM, Patrick_G said:

9.5” is pretty short

Yes very. As I go along I will modify as needed but I don't plan to put a lot of substrate in this tank because it's so short. So I anticipate using a lot of my favorites: Anubias Nana, Java Fern of all types but particularly Windelov. Lots of plants glued to things. 

...anything with a reptutation for growing slowly will be considered. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:26 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

THE LIGHT: Anyhow, tank ordered. Now on to the equipment. I originally wanted clip on lights but this is a very long tank and I am limited on outlets even with a power strip- plus most clip ons that i like don't have a timer so I'd have to plug 3-4 clip ons- into some sort of timer so that unfortunately for now isn't going to work- plus it would be pricey). I live in a very old home so outlets are a constant consideration AND I also don't have wifi so the hi-tech stuff is out of the question- I like low tech anyway. So unfortunately I did have to order a typical bracket light. I also needed a way for the light to turn on/off on its own so the Hygger light I got (for 30-36" tanks) has a DIY inline switch I can choose time, light intensity and color. This is great since I am limited on plug space I also like that it has an inline remote so I don't have to worry about losing that:

1354180547_thelight112022.jpg.9945679ed14bacb9be6ad93275cc46d6.jpg

THE FILTER: Thought for about 5 minutes on an HOB (even the Aquatop one) but I love me a sponge and I like their reliablity. I already have a lithium battery backed air pump with 2 airline ports so as long as this tank is I'll likely need two sponges. I wanted compact and off the floor of the aquarium. I already have this small one on hand:

....and this will help one side of the tank and be easy to hide but as you can see only for a 5 gallon tank. So I got another Hygger filter that I've used before (in my Mum's tank I put the double version of this one) and have had good experience with. It handles up to 15 gallons and is very nicely adjustable: 

1246882837_thefilter112022.jpg.788ddf4ff080e66994d324cbcdc50362.jpg

MISCELLANEOUS: For once I'm going to do a black background. You'll figure out why as this thread continues because with either theme I choose that I have in mind will benefit from black and you'll see it will also with my fish choices. I absolutely abhor the idea of painting the back of this beautiful tank. So I'm going with my typical move: Static Cling Window treatment. Found the perfect black that even has an easy to use/cut grid: 

Also, If you've ever had an Aquatop or similar with a lid- they are IMO hard to get the lid off and with a glass lid this makes me nervous. I found the best solution for me in the 3M Command Aisle for my 4.12 gallon back when I started it. So I'm going to do it again. Note: for me the command strip eventually failed so I no longer trust it. I've got double sided super sticky siliicone strips that work like a champ. I'm getting two for this tank- one on each side: 

247903203_thelidhandles112022.jpg.3f0f76e341440c2d97d27588b175a6ef.jpg

Same light I have on my 29;gal tank. Works great with alot of features for a good price.  Been using it for about 6 months now with no issues 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now for THEMES

I have 2 potential themes for this tank. I have ordered all of the items for either theme so that I can see them in person and play with them in the real environment. What you should know is that either theme will contain an item I've had on hand for some time- a piece of Spiderwood I've been wanting to do something with. I sadly don't have a pic on hand at the moment and am not near it. However, it looks like a very nice spindley tree. It is perfect for this if it works in the way I want it to because it's not deep just wide. You will see its basic shape in my drawings below. 

First theme: ZEN 

For this theme I was looking for what appeared to be an old statue like the Angry Man without repeating a Mayan theme and going with a more Asian feel. I saw several- most of which have been on the market for years some of which I've owned before. I settled on this Buddha Hand: 

607262529_medieval112022.jpg.973c5b0489b5dde8b65d51c5bde997db.jpg

At approximately 6 inches tall this will be a nice focal point. I love statuary that either has shelter for the fish or something for the fish to swim through and this fits that 2nd bill. I will bury the statue's bottom with substrate and I will pull the fake plants and glue Java to it. 

I also bought a couple of items that can go with this theme and/or in the 4 gallon cube when I reap some of the plants and other objects out of it. This will depend on how they look as I play around with the environment:

1242784681_rocks112022.jpg.9ec034f0f23d3f5fc2a952a0a3921d36.jpg

These are not large. The tallest is just over 4" and less than 3" wide. The smaller is under 3" and just under 4" wide. So lots of options for them. I could use one or both in the tank- and there's always the option to use none! I am thinking of either going with EcoComplete which is black or finding something like Peace River gravel, something light colored but smooth. Then I would use LOTS of Anubias Nana. I might try Moss but I've never been great at it- but I think in this theme it would look great on my Spiderwood "Tree".

So this is my basic outline for the Zen tank (note this is withhout any of the plants or other items- rocks or wood- that I would add): 

1230447923_zenplans112022.jpg.6230ef2fe67926badc9b9681bd3ad4d8.jpg

Second theme: MEDIEVAL

For this theme I found an Arch I particularly loved: 

626339377_Zen112022.jpg.10e69ff96b2ceff8764d901800f0f8e0.jpg

Again it's not a shelter but it's a cool place fish can swim in and out. From what I could tell it's 6" tall 2.5" deep and 7.25" wide. Though I know how big that is in my mind it never translates until you actually have it in hand. My idea here is go half and half with substrate. The Arch would be about 1/3 of the way in from one side of the tank, I was thinking of putting black substrate "behind" the Archway, as if the building fell down and left it's floor OR that you are stepping into a different world. The other option is just all black substrate and I'd create a path starting at the arch and going behind in a different color like red- again creating that "other world" look. This is the general outline of the Medieval tank: 

301485580_medievalplans112022.jpg.64d5aa719be6ba65b2841b2f5862ab01.jpg

In the next couple of weeks I should have all the materials and will begin playing with the set up of this tank and gathering more materials as needed when ideas start to flesh out more. Either way I believe either choice is a good one but I am leaning towards Medieval because it's on my bookshelf and I enjoy very much fantasy books most- and my book nook is medieval themed. I also think either theme will be great with the fish involved. I can already see the little CPD zooming around the bottom and the 6 white Guppies going from one side to the other- with whichever Betta reigning the tank! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yes very. As I go along I will modify as needed but I don't plan to put a lot of substrate in this tank because it's so short. So I anticipate using a lot of my favorites: Anubias Nana, Java Fern of all types but particularly Windelov. Lots of plants glued to things. 

...anything with a reptutation for growing slowly will be considered. 

That’s exactly what I was picturing in my mind, some nice hardscape with some epiphytes will look great.  Maybe a few low crypts too. 

• Thanks 1

Your gears have been turning!

It's funny how we want less things to maintain but then get the itch for another tank and its like we totally forget that it'll be another box of water to maintain. Totally worth it though!!! Keeps you on your toes. Something new to learn and observe.

I used that same cling on background on my 75, 40, and 5.5. works very well for me. I used a razor to cut it flush on the edges, line the uncut top up with your top edge. The bottom will be below the substrate so you won't see any imperfections in the cut edge.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 2:19 PM, Minanora said:

It's funny how we want less things to maintain but then get the itch for another tank and its like we totally forget that it'll be another box of water to maintain. Totally worth it though!!! Keeps you on your toes. Something new to learn and observe.

Haha! Well really for me though I DIDN'T want another tank but you have to do what you have to do when you make a commitment to something- in this case some sick Bettas that are now better. So I may as well make it mutually bene-fish-al and do something I want to do while giving them a good home. 🙂 I was doing my very best to avoid TWO new tanks, thankfully I figured that part out!I really don't have MTS I just have this sense of commitment that bugs me from time to time. haha! 

Your gears have been turning

Yes, -since I got the 4 sickies, for the last couple months, off and on all last week, all yesterday, all last night (I dreamt about fish all night too- but sadly nothing helpful for this project, ha!) and pretty much the vast majority of the day. 

I used that same cling on background on my 75, 40, and 5.5. works very well for me. I used a razor to cut it flush on the edges, line the uncut top up with your top edge. The bottom will be below the substrate so you won't see any imperfections in the cut edge

This is very good to know, thank you. I figured I'd have at least 2 sides I could line up and easily cut the other two with the tank laying on its back- the tank is heavy due to that glass so I'm not worried about it being too difficult. I can use my cut side as the bottom as you pointed out. 

On 11/14/2022 at 1:09 PM, Patrick_G said:

some nice hardscape with some epiphytes will look great.  Maybe a few low crypts too. 

Exactly! Hoping to find some good hardscape for this. I have some pieces of Mopani to cut too. What kinds of crypts do you think might go good here? Suggestions for plants?

On 11/14/2022 at 10:49 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I love this tank size! I ended up making a lid for it, and it keeps everyone in plus slows down evaporation.

Agreed, there's so many different cool things you can do with this tank plus because it's so small even little plants look huge. I had to get a lid- keeping the heat in the tank is essential but in my house a lid is a must anyway. (Yay Cats!)

On 11/14/2022 at 10:59 AM, TeeJay said:

Same light I have on my 29;gal tank. Works great with alot of features for a good price.  Been using it for about 6 months now with no issues

On 11/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

quite like those Hygger lights. If you've never had one before, you're going to love the 24/7 mode. It will gently wake up your tank with a sunrise, dim, then it goes a click brighter, and maybe another click brighter, then does the same thing for daylight, and then the daylight also goes dimmer, dimmer, later on and then finally it does moonlight, and then dimmer, dimmer, off.

Thanks for the testimonials @TeeJayand @Chick-In-Of-TheSea I have a Hygger clip on and several of their other products but not one of these yet so it's nice to know. It did look like a good one! 

• Like 1

I adore the medieval arch and theme along with your primarily fantasy books!  You might look for a very small helmet and/or battle ax to go beside the arch.  So there’s a tiny reward for those that look very closely.  😃 

That is the exact window film I use, too.  I cut it at least an inch or so longer than the tank.  Cut your width close and place the cut edge to the bottom where it won’t be visible, just like you planned.  Then use a brand new, single edge, razor blade to cut the ends after adhering it to the tank.  Run the blade right against the glass but hold the film in place as you cut since it will tend to shimmy a bit no matter how sharp your blade is.  If you’re doing the back and an end, then lift the film off the back edge as you cut the piece for the end, then stick it back down.  You may need to re-moisten it slightly to get it to stick back down well along the edge.

I can’t wait to see the idea and tank progress!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Patrick_G Monte Carlo I've tried 3x and failed completely. This is when I got a pile of Subbwassertang some of which is definitely going in this tank. Maybe it will look great like you said, around the arch or even the Buddha hand if I go that route. I feel like Monte Carlo definitely benefits from Co2 tanks- not impossible for low tech but has been for me thus far. 

Last night when I got home I found one of the 6 white Guppies had passed. I wasn't terribly shocked as that one was the only one not zooming about the tank with the others. Before I left yesterday I'd put some Kanaplex in the QT along with the aquarium salt, however I'm sure he was just too far gone to be saved. No visible signs of illness on him. The others were very active and eating today so hopefully no more losses. 

There is a small debate going on in my head on whether I should go see if they have any white Guppies left and get a couple/few more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve had good luck with Monte Carlo in no tech tanks but I’ve only used the dry start method. It takes patience but the results are excellent. The only downside is the extra time it takes to grow out before you flood the tank. 

Not saying you should try it in this tank but just for reference 

D5F41697-0B28-4797-B8F9-D9473FCD8728.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 3

On 11/15/2022 at 9:16 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Patrick_GOh! Very interesting! So presumption, planting and waiting until it takes root, how long does that take? How much substrate does it need?

I’d say about a month, but it probably varies depending on conditions and what brand tissue culture you get. The neat thing is you can blast light 16 hours a day, no water means no worries about algae. You would want some aquasoil in the area where you’re planning on carpeting, you could get by with an inch or so if you’re being thrifty. 
I break apart the tissue culture and sprinkle it over the aquasoil. Put plastic wrap over the tank for 100% humidity and blast the light all day. You can google “lazy dry start method” for some videos. 

• Thanks 1