Streetwise

@Streetwise I looked at the Slim Flo 500 on Amazon. I thought the media compartments would be much bigger. 

I'm worried about this. I like to put a lot of porous media in my HOBs. The 500 looks just as narrow as the nano one you bought...just longer. I also have large, wide hands.  Without a media basket/tray to pull out, this is another concern of maintenancing this one / pulling stuff out. 

Am I missing something?

Edited by Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! This is good stuff. Thank you very much.  I ordered this same filter as well as the Aquaclear 30 and currently use the AC30 for my 10gal. However I’m not entirely happy because a) the flow is too strong on either setting and I have to find hacks to reduce it all the time b) if the power goes out the AC empties out restarts dry which can burn the motor and c) Look at attached picture. Notice water overflowing the first chamber and going right back to the tank along the intake tube. This could be due me adding too much media in the chamber though.   I have a few questions on your experience if you don’t mind. Did you notice any difference in water quality after filtration vs the AC? Would you say the Dymax holds the same amount of filter media as the AC just separated into two compartments instead of one? Aesthetic wise, does it look less bulky once installed? My biggest fear is it won’t filter as well as “the all powerful AC”. 
Thanks in advance. Any additional user experience info would be greatly appreciated. Cleaning, usage, noise etc. 

thank you and thanks for starting this thread! 

9DAFBAD4-74FA-46BB-ADFD-57512FA4F0FE.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 11/11/2020 at 6:59 AM, Streetwise said:

@josh world, in the video I posted, I swap out the default media for AquaClear 30 sponges. It might fit other sizes, but that is what I had on-hand.

I don't need more filtration, but this unit is aesthetically pleasing, and I enjoy the waterfall effect. I ordered another one, and I might see if it fits on a tub.

I can't say that it is better or worse than other HOB filters, but it is quiet, symmetrical, and low-profile, so I like it. At $39, it is probably more expensive than other options.

If you can, it's a pretty unique shape/design to work with.  Can you post your thoughts or a link to this on in the "Filter Mods" thread? 

I like the filter, especially full of sponge, and It'd be cool to see your experiences highlighted there as well.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:35 PM, Fergranadino said:

I ordered this same filter as well as the Aquaclear 30 and currently use the AC30 for my 10gal. However I’m not entirely happy because a) the flow is too strong on either setting and I have to find hacks to reduce it all the time b) if the power goes out the AC empties out restarts dry which can burn the motor and c) Look at attached picture. Notice water overflowing the first chamber and going right back to the tank along the intake tube. This could be due me adding too much media in the chamber though.

I'm thinking a search for Aquaclear bypass would give you the results you're looking for.  I think it has something to do with:

1. The inlet pipe isn't set into the little grove plate all the way
2. Muck on the intake plate (it's a little plastic thing where you guide the pipe to adjust flow, slate grey color.  Just lift it up and clean that chamber out.
3. Too much media, or, the sponge is full and you're getting too much resistance on the media basket forcing that chamber to overfill.

I've had all of these cause that, to less of a degree.  ^^