Show off your pipsqueaks!

On 7/14/2023 at 8:26 AM, Jackson said:

Are those chili rasboras ? Look like it . So nice and colorful . Mine are anemic . Don't know why mine are so pale .

I read something about this once. I don't remember what though, whether it was the amount of current in the tank or plant cover or what.  LOL  (I know. Not helpful)

Update: oh here it is. It says the washed out ones are juveniles.  Or when they are introduced to a new tank they get washed out looking.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/chili-rasbora

On 7/10/2023 at 12:14 AM, Lillypad said:

Thinking about breeding bettas again, but

Don't give up!  Next time will be better 🙂 ❤️

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
added a link

On 7/14/2023 at 8:55 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I read something about this once. I don't remember what though, whether it was the amount of current in the tank or plant cover or what.  LOL  (I know. Not helpful)

Update: oh here it is. It says the washed out ones are juveniles.  Or when they are introduced to a new tank they get washed out looking.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/chili-rasbora

Don't give up!  Next time will be better 🙂 ❤️

I read the article prior to your post . I have plants for them to hide and they do . They do come out to eat and stroll around . But for the most part they are quiet . Sorry to jump in the thread , but I saw those beauties and am scratching my head as to why the lack of color . According to the article my ph is well in their comfort zone . Poor little things , just want to be colorful and happy . I have a school of five and no casualties since I got them maybe 5 months ago .

IMG-0511.jpeg

IMG-0505.jpeg

IMG-0509.jpeg

Females don’t tend to carry as much color as the boys, so a mix of sexes will show some very bright and others softer colored and maybe slightly deeper bodied.

@Jackson You could also potentially have a mix of chilis with another species of micro-rasbora.  You might take a look at pics of the other micro-rasboras - search for “Boraras” species on Google.  It’s not unusual to get a mix of micro-rasboras in the same tank at the LFS if somebody doesn’t realize they aren’t all chilis and just dumps them all in the chili tank.  Or dumps chilis in the tank with strawberries, for instance.  I recently got what was supposed to be 3 chilis from a fellow fishkeeper shutting down a tank to move it with him, but only 1 was a chili, the other 2 I’m thinking might be Least Rasboras, Boraras urophthalmoides, or something that looks very much like them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My first survival corydoras -- I found it after collecting my first batch of eggs, and then realized it was not the first spawn. I probably missed the first or even the second rounds of their spawns. I believe that there is another little dude in the same 55G tank, but  it's very hard to take a photo because they do have 100% hiding skills. There are tons of mollies overrun in this tank. In one picture you can see a rummy nose tera in the background, so you'll realize the actual size of this survivor.

PXL_20230714_2002363692.jpg.eb3f5a5fb3e3203847b8af84eebd251f.jpgPXL_20230714_222108127_MP2.jpg.759a4ca083a77edb3f670ce6556e4c4e.jpgPXL_20230715_041023199.jpg.472cb61f0b21829c2bf4067f83f96d3b.jpg

On 7/17/2023 at 8:25 PM, foxfair said:

My first survival corydoras -- I found it after collecting my first batch of eggs, and then realized it was not the first spawn. I probably missed the first or even the second rounds of their spawns. I believe that there is another little dude in the same 55G tank, but  it's very hard to take a photo because they do have 100% hiding skills. There are tons of mollies overrun in this tank. In one picture you can see a rummy nose tera in the background, so you'll realize the actual size of this survivor.

More little squads, this time they are shrimplets in a 10G tank. I didn't plan to get these shrimps spawned because I just got them this month. But they just have their own agenda....

PXL_20230716_164908936.jpg.1808eb909cbd4abbad30792667971688.jpgPXL_20230717_012030130.jpg.84f5cf557593008e78f8d8eb5186441f.jpgPXL_20230717_0120301302.jpg.da114df8e4a83ab011aedb43a43fd83b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 7/17/2023 at 8:25 PM, foxfair said:

More little squads, this time they are shrimplets in a 10G tank. I didn't plan to get these shrimps spawned because I just got them this month. But they just have their own agenda....

Finally got a chance to take a shot of these little juveniles from the bottom view.

PXL_20230719_185134546~2.jpg

• Love 3

On 7/19/2023 at 5:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

They are doing well, they look great! Are you planning a bigger tank for the group?

@foxfair

I have a 10g shrimps and minnows tank. I plan to move half or all of them to it once the size is suitable. I also have a ~25g quarantine tank if the juveniles are too crowd fitting in the 10g tank.

The first and the last juveniles hatched in a 5-6 days gap, so I'll probably wait until they are at least 4-5 weeks old then plan the move.

Edited by foxfair
more info about tanks
  • Thanks 1

Guys, let me hijack this thread a little bit

I made a video of my indostomus fish. It is shaky, blurry and a bit hard to see, yes, sorry about that, the fish is too small.

However, I am no longer sure I have the indostomus paradoxus. They are not supposed to have color on the fins, right?

BTW in part two, you can see female on the left I think, broader, and male on the right before darting away.

In I. paradoxus adult males do not possess dark bars in the dorsal and anal fins, though sexually-active individuals do display light brown bars. It’s otherwise similar to I. crocodilus, whereas in I. spinosus the ventral surface is coloured dark brown, throat marked with numerous brown spots, and the ridges of the head bones are strongly-serrated.

It can be told apart from congeners by the following characters: dorsal and anal fins without dark markings, with a light brown bar in breeding males; ventral surface light brown; throat white, occasionally with a few brown spots; ridges of head bones weakly serrated or not serrated, depending on the bone.

Could you please check for me, if you think I have paradoxus or crocodilus?

• Like 3

I’m not sure which you have but I found this under the seriously fish description for I. paradoxus.  If I HAD to guess, I’d be inclined to say you have I. crocodilus based on the description in the first paragraph below.  It’s nearly identical to the description they had under each Indostomus species.  I’m not sure it helps when we’re both only finding descriptions reworded from the same source.  I wasn’t able to find anywhere else that had better ways to differentiate them.

The good news is that your fish look really good.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

This species is rare in the aquarium hobby though its name is often misapplied to the closely-related I. crocodilus. It can be told apart from congeners by the following characters: dorsal and anal fins without dark markings, with a light brown bar in breeding males; ventral surface light brown; throat white, occasionally with a few brown spots; ridges of head bones weakly serrated or not serrated, depending on the bone.

In both I. crocodilus and I spinosus adult males possess dark bands in the dorsal and anal fins, these becoming more intense when breeding. I. crocodilus is otherwise similar to I. paradoxus, but in I. spinosus the ventral surface is coloured dark brown, throat marked with numerous brown spots, and the ridges of the head bones are strongly-serrated.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 12:55 AM, Odd Duck said:

that is a mystery how! 🤣

She live feeds them with bbs, worms, etc but they are super clumsy. I know she puts so much effort to provide them a good care. However, like a bbs can swim in front of their mouth and they wouldn't bother making a move mostly 🤷🏼‍♂️

@beastie and I sometimes question how these do survive in the wild 😄 

Edited by Lennie

On 7/20/2023 at 11:55 PM, Odd Duck said:

Thanks, as Lennie said, they are sort of slow and hard to feed, so I have to overfeed.

I think it helps I have some leaves in, some elder cones and shrimp that provide shrimplets, all of which could provide the microfauna they need. I plan to add something this weekend, it is hard to not overdo it though, it is a small tank

• Like 1

I made myself a little late for work yesterday trying to spot baby L519’s (Keifner’s, no binomial yet) out of the cave.  I knew they were getting close to coming out of the cave.  There were still at least 4 in the cave with Dad but I spotted this little guy on the glass.

I never could see past Dad to see how big the clutch was but I’m pretty sure it was a small clutch (their first).  They’re in the 20 long that has only the Betta persephones, who have tiny mouths, shrimp, and soon to have some Pygmy cories, and the parent pair.  I’ll let them grow up there with plenty of wood and aufwuchs.  It’ll be a booger to get them back out of this tank, but it needs a deep clean anyway.  I get too much mulm in this tank from the wood shedding.

IMG_5034.jpeg

• Love 2

I’m not sure what the trigger was, we did have a pressure change a few weeks ago, but I just found a tiny, baby blue-eyed lemon bristlenose pleco on the front glass of my 100 G nanofish tank yesterday.  So I knew Dad was fanning in a cave but he’s so big I couldn’t see anything past him so I didn’t know if he was actually on eggs, babies, or just showing off his “marvelously clean and ready cave - see what a good Dad I could be?”

So one out of the cave likely means more in and I knew the chances of getting them back out of this tank were terrible so I grabbed a specimen container, scooped up some water, picked cave, Dad and all, and dumped out water and lots of babies!  Dad stayed in.  I scooped and rinsed a couple more times but that usually still leaves a dozen or so in the cave (I’m fine with that).  Dad is still tending the cave today so there are almost certainly some still in there.  I counted 53 in the specimen container before they went into the growout tank.

Edit to add that I’m very much hoping he might have bred with one of the long-fin females.  Too soon for me to be able to say if they’ll have long fins.  There is one short fin female that I’d like to move to my 75 G, but for now, I wait and see if these get long fins.

IMG_5035.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg

And I’ve counted 7 of the L519’s on the glass in the 20 long so far.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Love 3

On 8/4/2023 at 10:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

I see other fish with her. Are they fairly friendly and suitable for community life?

Well, this one has been awesome. I've had him over a year and he's by far the largest fish in the tank.. Tankmates include otos and harlequin rasboras and tetras. (so, tiny in comparison). This guy has never even chased a another fish with the exception of a keyhole cichlid he apparently just didn't like.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

So hard to get good pipsqueak pics with an iPhone.  I need to get one of those macro attachments.

Here’s a couple baby L519’s (Kiefner’s) with photobombing adult scuds for a size comparison.  Plus one by itself from the underside, then one from fresh out of the cave July 24th for comparison.  So likely hatched around July 10-ish?

They are already nearly 50% longer than when they came out of the cave and lots more color.  These guys will only grow to around 3.5-4” long and I expect they will probably take close to 2 years to get there.  My male is a little over 3”, maybe 3.25” long now and the female was a similar size to him when they were purchased but I never see all of her now and haven’t seen her for weeks.  I know she’s alive because, well - babies.  They were both about 2.75”-ish long when purchased.

IMG_5100.jpeg

IMG_5083.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3