Heater With Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery?

Bay Area Aquatics

Hey everyone! 

I've been looking for a heater to use with my Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery... My favorite heaters are Eheim Jagger heaters but they do not fit in the heater spot on the top of the hatchery. What heaters do you use? I'm looking to get one now that it's turning cold in California and my window is open all the time! 

20201027_141547.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bay Area Aquatics said:

Hey everyone! 

I've been looking for a heater to use with my Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery... My favorite heaters are Eheim Jagger heaters but they do not fit in the heater spot on the top of the hatchery. What heaters do you use? I'm looking to get one now that it's turning cold in California and my window is open all the time! 

20201027_141547.jpg

I use an aqueon 5 watt heater, but I keep my room at around 74 degrees. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Bay Area Aquatics Interestingly enough, I found that the shape of the heater may matter. I got the Hygger 15W heater mentioned in another post, which is a rectangular shape. No matter how I mounted it (against the wall or hanging in the middle), it seemed to block water flow in certain areas of the blender. Eggs would get stuck in one corner of the blender or on the heater itself, and my hatch rate was consistently lower. 

20201216_072102.jpg.a7c96789ac5dbaa8de7a0c1f90184f43.jpg

1/4 tsp of eggs hatched with rectangular Hygger heater

When I switched to my Aqueon Pro 50W heater (which looks like a long cylinder) and hung it in the middle of the blender (so that water can freely flow underneath the heater), the hatch rate was consistently higher.

20201217_074225.jpg.31b5971a99b8c9d9513018ff53b26c40.jpg

1/4 tsp of eggs hatched with tube-shaped Aqueon heater 

Everything else was exactly the same (temperature, recipe, etc), so I guess I'll be going back to the Aqueon heater. Anyway, just my two cents if you're still looking for a heater solution for the Ziss brine shrimp hatchery

20201217_082942.jpg.4222648312c316b12f274266c2d53804.jpg

Aqueon 50W heater hanging in the middle of the blender

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I saw the video with Jason from Prime Time Aquatics talking about the Ziss. He had a light shining right on it, as I do with my SF bay hatchery. I place a flexible arm desk lamp with a 40 watt bulb right over the open top of the 2 liter bottle. So I get light and heat. It keeps the water exactly around 80 - 81 degrees, with my room temp around 70 degress. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irene said:

Interestingly enough, I found that the shape of the heater may matter. I got the Hygger 15W heater mentioned in another post, which is a rectangular shape. No matter how I mounted it (against the wall or hanging in the middle), it seemed to block water flow in certain areas of the blender. Eggs would get stuck in one corner of the blender or on the heater itself, and my hatch rate was consistently lower. 

20201216_072102.jpg.a7c96789ac5dbaa8de7a0c1f90184f43.jpg

1/4 tsp of eggs hatched with rectangular Hygger heater

When I switched to my Aqueon Pro 50W heater (which looks like a long cylinder) and hung it in the middle of the blender (so that water can freely flow underneath the heater), the hatch rate was consistently higher.

20201217_074225.jpg.31b5971a99b8c9d9513018ff53b26c40.jpg

1/4 tsp of eggs hatched with tube-shaped Aqueon heater 

Everything else was exactly the same (temperature, recipe, etc), so I guess I'll be going back to the Aqueon heater. Anyway, just my two cents if you're still looking for a heater solution for the Ziss brine shrimp hatchery. 

20201217_082942.jpg.4222648312c316b12f274266c2d53804.jpg

Aqueon 50W heater hanging in the middle of the blender

👍🏼👍🏼 We are experiencing the same dilemma. I thought the little 15 watt Hygger heater was great at first but soon it’s limitations appeared. Too many eggs would stick to it and made opening the lid a problem as well. Thanks for the tip on the Aqueon heater. I’ll check it out. 

I started out heating my first BBS hatchery with a small desk lamp with a 60 watt incandescent bulb. I had it in the garage on my workbench so the temperature was always fluctuating. I was constantly adjusting the lamp one inch closer or further away. When I got the Ziss hatchery I moved the whole operation into my bathroom. Since this is the bathroom I use for nighttime relief, I didn’t want bright light shining in my face. I also considered it a fire hazard and a huge waste of electricity. 

4 hours ago, L.W. Wetarm said:

👍🏼👍🏼 We are experiencing the same dilemma. I thought the little 15 watt Hygger heater was great at first but soon it’s limitations appeared. Too many eggs would stick to it and made opening the lid a problem as well. Thanks for the tip on the Aqueon heater. I’ll check it out. 

My only complaint about the Aqueon Pro 50W heater is that it is almost tall enough to touch the bottom of the blender, so maybe try another similarly shaped heater that is shorter?

I'm using an old Marina C25 for mine that I had around. It doesn't fit well through the hole, I had to run the cord through the bottom of the lid and it just hangs by the cord, but I'm getting much better hatches with a heater right now so I'm using it

I suppose I could just suction cup it to the side, didn't really think to do that until now

On 12/17/2020 at 6:58 PM, Irene said:

My only complaint about the Aqueon Pro 50W heater is that it is almost tall enough to touch the bottom of the blender, so maybe try another similarly shaped heater that is shorter?

Irene, I took your advice on the Aqueon heater and checked out the Uniclife heater that Mick recommended. 

I couldn't the exact same one but it fits the Ziss top perfectly and doesn't touch the bottom.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Edited by L.W. Wetarm
  • Thanks 1

I've been looking for a heater that will fit in my ziss also living in New Hampshire its very cold in the winter and my hatches are taking 36 hours and some are dying. I read a post by Cory somewhere about trying and incandescent lamp. I have one arriving soon but I'm so scared I'm going to melt my hatchery lol

20201101_111246.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 3:45 AM, MickS77 said:

I use this 25 watt heater, fits great.

image.png.57c80544c5145a247b240694461f8620.png

The heater I was using went out so I went through all the different threads here talking about heaters and decided to try this one. Worked great. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

The thread that never dies.

I've been looking for a heater as my basement temps in Michigan are 60-62 at night.   I have heaters that where the glass tube fits through the top but the water level is way below the heaters requirement.  I just dangle it by feeding the cord from the bottom of the lid and use a binder clip to hold it.

Does the Uniclife press fit into the bottom of the lid or do you just dangle it like I do.

Thanks,  Bob

On 1/18/2023 at 12:18 PM, PlanetBob said:

The thread that never dies.

I've been looking for a heater as my basement temps in Michigan are 60-62 at night.   I have heaters that where the glass tube fits through the top but the water level is way below the heaters requirement.  I just dangle it by feeding the cord from the bottom of the lid and use a binder clip to hold it.

Does the Uniclife press fit into the bottom of the lid or do you just dangle it like I do.

Thanks,  Bob

I did the same thing with this heater (25 watt version):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09H2SF5XM

Edited by Tazalanche

• 4 weeks later...

So I JUST bought a brine shrimp hatchery and recieved it today and haven't started it yet. I started wondering about temperature because I keep my house about 65 in the winter. I make kombucha, and use a kombucha culture heating wrap to keep my culture about 80 degrees and was thinking that would be a really easy way to keep my brine shrimp hatchery warm enough to hatch the shrimp. It's kind of like a plant seed heating pad, except it wraps around the kombucha bottle and velcros tight so it doesn't fall off. Has anyone else tried this? 

This is the kind of heating wrap that I'm talking about https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NSCT7X