What do you consider "Nano" fish?

PineSong

I was surprised today to see an online fish retailer list bichirs, clown loaches and dojo loaches as nano fish. I guess I have been thinking of nano fish as fish who can properly be kept in 20g or less, and maybe that's not the actual meaning of the category. 

What would you consider to be the upper limit on calling a fish nano/marketing it that way?

I wanted to say anything under 2” fully grown, but I’m not sure that’s the answer. That would include tons of tetras, rasboras, etc. Maybe those are nano, but they’re not the species that come to mind when I think of “nano” fish. 

When I personally think of nano fish I think of the really small guys. Chili Rasboras, CPD’s, Pygmy Cory’s, Pea Puffers, etc. It’s hard to really define what it is, in my opinion that separates “nano” from “small”. 

Nano meaning for me is.... Max size is about 1" or under.

"Community fish" would be community tank and be those that get along well and might be over that nano size.

At some point they are just fish.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:16 PM, PineSong said:

I was surprised today to see an online fish retailer list bichirs, clown loaches and dojo loaches as nano fish.

Very likely an algorithm because nano fish is searched more and that triggers the Google's search results.

On 10/22/2022 at 5:16 AM, PineSong said:

I was surprised today to see an online fish retailer list bichirs, clown loaches and dojo loaches as nano fish. I guess I have been thinking of nano fish as fish who can properly be kept in 20g or less, and maybe that's not the actual meaning of the category. 

What would you consider to be the upper limit on calling a fish nano/marketing it that way?

Nano meaning for me, is anything that can happily  live in at least a 5 to 15 gal. I would love to imply the size rule, but Kuhli Loaches positively love my 12 gallon (think I found eggs!) and they’re a 3 inch fish.

Interesting debate though!

Well I've seen bichirs in stores for sale at only about an inch long and if only they stayed that small. They are the cutest things wrapped round plants like lucky dragons

So presumably the site you were looking at bases it on the size of the stock they are selling.

Horribly misleading though.  

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:46 AM, Flumpweesel said:

So presumably the site you were looking at bases it on the size of the stock they are selling.

Algorithms 😏

On 10/22/2022 at 10:46 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Well I've seen bichirs in stores for sale at only about an inch long and if only they stayed that small. They are the cutest things wrapped round plants like lucky dragons

I saw a really cool XXL glass orb the other day which the owner (my uncles friend) had scaped  beautifully and it had the most enormous (but very cute) bichir in.

I’ll try and take a picture next time!

• Love 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

For the good or the bad

That's easy the bad, they are controlled by marketing you are constantly being profiled to be sold things. And if they are popular let pop up the price. Things used to have fixed value and the internet wasn't just a great big advert.

I kinda hate the way this has all rolled out it was inevitable but we are just paying to be manipulated online. 

I shall step off this soap box now but come the revolution ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

The dictionary definition of nano is something very, very small. In units of measure, one-billioninth. So to me, a nano (aquarium) fish would be the smallest of the small commonly kept fish. Maybe an inch or smaller, when fully grown. I guess you could fudge that a bit, but getting into the 3"+ range doesn't make sense because now you're talking about a wide variety of fish. Like you can use the 5-20g tank rule, but a Betta fits into that & doesn't seem like a nano fish to me. I guess we could differentiate between a nano fish & a nano aquarium. 

All that being said, I agree with others above, the site you saw that on was probably just using nano as a buzz word to drive traffic. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:11 PM, Anjum said:

The dictionary definition of nano is something very, very small. In units of measure, one-billioninth. So to me, a nano (aquarium) fish would be the smallest of the small commonly kept fish. Maybe an inch or smaller, when fully grown. I guess you could fudge that a bit, but getting into the 3"+ range doesn't make sense because now you're talking about a wide variety of fish. Like you can use the 5-20g tank rule, but a Betta fits into that & doesn't seem like a nano fish to me. I guess we could differentiate between a nano fish & a nano aquarium. 

All that being said, I agree with others above, the site you saw that on was probably just using nano as a buzz word to drive traffic. 

Tell you what, I think I’m going to do a fish dictionary. Put all the main meanings and uses of stuff in it and do a relatively complete summary of the main fish species. That’s going to be autumn project, along with trying to rid my LFS (I work there) of sick and unhealthy fish. Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

To me, it’s a bit fluid, but I would definitely agree about fish that would be happy in a 20 gallon or smaller.  In general 2” or less but Kuhli loaches kind of sneak into the edges of the category since they’re so skinny even though they’re long.  I call my 100 G nano tank that because the mid to uppers are all nanos (CPD’s are the biggest), but my plecos in that tank obviously aren’t nanos and I don’t even consider the cories in that tank to be nanos cuz they’re “thicc”.  😃  The plecos and cories of course get along fine with the nanos but I don’t consider them actually nanos.  It’s just an easy way to designate the tank.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 2:14 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Tell you what, I think I’m going to do a fish dictionary. Put all the main meanings and uses of stuff in it and do a relatively complete summary of the main fish species. 

Don't forget the ...subject to change without notice disclaimer.

On 10/22/2022 at 4:46 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Horribly misleading though.  

Most likely this. They are nano-sized NOW, not what they will be.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:20 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Nano meaning for me, is anything that can happily  live in at least a 5 to 15 gal. I would love to imply the size rule, but Kuhli Loaches positively love my 12 gallon (think I found eggs!) and they’re a 3 inch fish.

Interesting debate though!

I like this definition. There are plenty of fairly small fish in the 1.5-2 inch range that really need to be kept in large groups or are incredibly active and need space to swim, and I have trouble calling fish that demand a big aquarium Nano fish.

• Like 1