Any Aqua Huna shoppers? How is the package labeled?

JoCinWB

I did my first order from Aqua Huna this week. The USPS carrier, as usual, declared the package delivered with our regular mail yesterday morning, but did NOT leave it. I wasn't too concerned because they do that all the time. They leave the boxes in the truck then drop them off later in the day. Anyway, the fish were NEVER delivered yesterday. 

So my question: Would the box be labeled "live animals" or something? Anything to indicate to the USPS that they cannot just leave the package in a truck overnight (yes, we had a frost this morning!) and expect them to survive? 

I am livid and anxious!!

(asking here because I'm East Coast and don't think AH is open yet, but I did email them last night)

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:42 AM, drvmz said:

Generally they do have stickers that say "live animals" however, I've found that no matter the love and care put into packaging it doesn't translate to the USPS person caring enough to deliver in a timely manner.

Thanks, I expected that to be the case. I just fired off a letter to our regional USPS office complaining about this non-delivery delivery practice. I don't know if it happens elsewhere but it's commonplace here. It is so unprofessional and, in this case, heartless.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, JoCinWB said:

Thanks, I expected that to be the case. I just fired off a letter to our regional USPS office complaining about this non-delivery delivery practice. I don't know if it happens elsewhere but it's commonplace here. It is so unprofessional and, in this case, heartless.

All the best on getting it resolved and hopefully the arrival of healthy fish! Aqua Huna is great about DOA refunds, but I feel kinda bad for them knowing how careless the mail system is. 

On 10/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, drvmz said:

All the best on getting it resolved and hopefully the arrival of healthy fish! Aqua Huna is great about DOA refunds, but I feel kinda bad for them knowing how careless the mail system is. 

For the price of priority shipping, you'd like to think the packages are priorities!!

This has happened to me a few times with every carrier. It’s insanely frustrating, ironically if I treated my job the same way these carriers treat their jobs, I’d be unemployed. Thankfully it always worked out and have only lost 2 fish in 7 years. Hopefully yours turns out the same, if not Aquahuna DOA policy is insurance to lower your stress a bit. Good luck

On 10/21/2022 at 1:37 PM, Jazz Pizza said:

This has happened to me a few times with every carrier. It’s insanely frustrating, ironically if I treated my job the same way these carriers treat their jobs, I’d be unemployed. Thankfully it always worked out and have only lost 2 fish in 7 years. Hopefully yours turns out the same, if not Aquahuna DOA policy is insurance to lower your stress a bit. Good luck

Well, today's mail came and still no Aqua Huna box. If they never arrive, no way to send photos of dead fish. If they don't come until Monday, that's outside the 3-day period (based on the false delivery report USPS made yesterday). Right now it looks like I'm out $43 and change.

I just got a delivery from them yesterday. The packing tape they use goes completely around the box and states many times "Live Tropical Fish".

Also per what I take to be common USPS practice it left a distribution center at 739am on Wed and then arrived at that same center at 348pm on Thur. guess the fish needed a tour of the town lol. Then it got sent to my town and delivered on Fri.

On 10/21/2022 at 12:48 PM, JoCinWB said:

Well, today's mail came and still no Aqua Huna box. If they never arrive, no way to send photos of dead fish. If they don't come until Monday, that's outside the 3-day period (based on the false delivery report USPS made yesterday). Right now it looks like I'm out $43 and change.

This has happened to me a few times; i call the post office to check what is going on. I suggest you do the same. They can figure out if it was actually delivered or not. I was told (when it was happening) is they were transfering the package from one truck to another and scanning it incorrectly). 

Of course another possibility is the package was delivered a a porch thief grabbed it.

Yes I have to have all my packages delivered usps or Amazon. If it's fed ex or ups they won't use the door code to get into my building. At least USPS comes in for my mail since I'm in a locked apt building I know I have had times the tracking app will say it's delivered and not there. Then 20 mins later it shows up. So like you said there scanning packages in saying delivered when not truly full deliver. I believe my mail carrier will scan everything at once on diff parts of his route then actually deliver them shortly after. It's a truly stupid system. And that fed ex or ups wmt use the door entry code I give them in the instructions just slap one of those stupid sorry we missed you stickers on the building door wth is that!?

On 10/22/2022 at 1:46 PM, anewbie said:

This has happened to me a few times; i call the post office to check what is going on. I suggest you do the same. They can figure out if it was actually delivered or not. I was told (when it was happening) is they were transfering the package from one truck to another and scanning it incorrectly). 

Of course another possibility is the package was delivered a a porch thief grabbed it.

Wow your post office answers the phone? I have called many times over the years. They have never answered. I drove there Thursday but they couldn't tell me anything just promised it was on its way.

On 10/22/2022 at 12:55 PM, JoCinWB said:

Wow your post office answers the phone? I have called many times over the years. They have never answered. I drove there Thursday but they couldn't tell me anything just promised it was on its way.

Dang so package still hasn't shown up??!! I'd be so upset too. If you haven't already, notify AH. Maybe they'll have more pull since they're the shipper. Probably not, all these carriers make their own rules. But worth a shot. I'm sorry 😔

Edited by Anjum
Clarify

On 10/22/2022 at 2:55 PM, JoCinWB said:

The important thing here is they indicated they still have it. aquahuna will cover the fishes if they die.... et all...

On 10/21/2022 at 6:24 AM, JoCinWB said:

So my question: Would the box be labeled "live animals" or something? Anything to indicate to the USPS that they cannot just leave the package in a truck overnight (yes, we had a frost this morning!) and expect them to survive? 

Yes. Mine had it written on all sides.

I wonder how long corydoras can survive in a shipping box. They did not arrive over the weekend either.

For those asking, this was Aqua Huna's reply. (To be clear, I in no way blame them, but if I ever purchase again I will only do so if FedEx is an option.)

"If your tracking number states that the package was delivered but you did not receive anything you will have to contact the United States Postal Service and handle the issue with them. From our experience we have noticed that most of the time when this happens the package needs about 2-4 more days to show up and may have just been a delay or error with the U.S. Postal Service."

• Sad 4

I find it comes down to the individual mail carrier sometimes.  We have one gentleman who is great. When he delivers a package, he comes up the stairs to my front porch and sets it on a wicker chair, knocking on the door a couple times to get the dog barking so I know to check.  Other USPS carriers have left boxes in the driveway, clearly marked "Live Animals".  UPS, FedEx, and Amazon all leave my packages on the porch next to the door with a knock.

I've had some really great USPS carriers who I've been on a first name basis with.  One told me how difficult it is to hire good people.  This was several years ago, I imagine it is even more difficult now with the competition for good people meaning hiring salaries.   It's a good market if you're a job seeker, challenging if you're an employer who doesn't have the resources to pay market.

On 10/24/2022 at 10:41 AM, Pepere said:

So they will not issue a refund if the package can not be found?

Good to know.  I was planning on a purchase with them but likely will not if that is the case.

I have to wait 14 days (from ship date) to request USPS refund. I am unclear about whether the USPS will refund the shipping cost as well as the merchandise cost. 

From the AH company website: "We are not responsible for any stolen or lost goods once the tracking states that the item is delivered. If you believe the items may have been stolen, please file a claim with USPS to further the matter."

Update: I just caught the mail carrier. He said he did not have any live animal packages last week. He checked his truck and it's not there, either. He is going to look into it at the USPS branch, but suspects someone scanned it as "delivered" when they were sorting and it never was put on a truck at all.

fingers crossed, it's been a week so maybe they're still alive and he can find them

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/24/2022 at 7:01 AM, meadeam said:

I find it comes down to the individual mail carrier sometimes

This is the case for us too. We have one postal carrier who will absolutely not get out of the vehicle to deliver a package. If it can't fit in the mailbox, it's marked "undeliverable" & we don't get it until another carrier brings it. So frustrating. All the rest of the USPS people are fine, as is every other shipper. 

I had a package go missing once from a USPS distribution hub. It was not clear what happened so I reported it directly to the federal law enforcement agency that covers the US postal system The United States Postal Inspection  Service. https://www.uspis.gov/report

you would be surprised how fast and fully a mail issue can get fixed at a post office when a federal law enforcement agent with very broad authorities and arrest powers starts investigating what happened to your package

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Package never arrived. Wednesday I was finally able to file a report on it with USPS. Unclear if I will be reimbursed for the loss.

Incidentally, on Monday 10.31 I got a USPS notice that a package from another retailer had been delivered. If you guess that I never got that one, either, you are right. That retailer said this happens frequently, and told me if it didn't arrive within 2 days of the "Delivery" to notify them. They resent my goods this morning.

Also I ordered a security camera that we will install this weekend so I can ask the carrier WHEN HE'S DELIVERING where the packages are. It's more than a little suspicious that my packages are "out for delivery" at 6 a.m., then about 6 hours later "delivered" but never arrive on my porch. 

Thanks for all the support folks.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1