New Pleco Owner

KentFishFanUK

Hi all! New pleco owner here and had a few questions!

So I don't know a whole lot about plecos yet, never really planned on getting any but my wife was showing a little more interest in my new 75G tank than usual and asked if she could choose a fish for it so obviously I couldn't refuse! She decided she liked plecos so she ended up buying two labelled as L236 Super White Plecos which are apparently Hypancistrus sp. They were not cheap so I'm hoping they do ok!

First of all is there any general tips or things I should know about them? Obviously I've researched them but it's good to hear personal experiences as info online is a bit variable. I'm normally the sort that would have researched for weeks before even looking for them but my wife is not and she was at a fish shop while I was at work and decided to pull the trigger, I don't want to discourage her so I let her even though it makes me feel a little uneasy. 

They are about 2 inches now so about half or bit under their eventual size, what sort of size do they need to be for me to sex them? I've tried looking up pics but the differences to my eyes are really subtle at the moment. 

My tank has a bunch of hidey spots but I think I should get them some caves, has anyone found a type or DIY'd themselves some caves that are fairly discreet? Or natural looking? I have a nature style scape and don't really want to spoil the look with some random ceramic/plastic/slate tubes or caves. 

Some pics of our new pets:PXL_20221020_150607872.jpg.089df2a3d7a91f40c2a55c68da854a11.jpgPXL_20221020_150941648.jpg.35c96c1100c7457968b8eaed3123e35e.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 10:38 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

First of all is there any general tips or things I should know about them? Obviously I've researched them but it's good to hear personal experiences as info online is a bit variable. I'm normally the sort that would have researched for weeks before even looking for them but my wife is not and she was at a fish shop while I was at work and decided to pull the trigger, I don't want to discourage her so I let her even though it makes me feel a little uneasy. 

They are super easy fish (most times)!

I think the best advice I can give any pleco owner, especially for fry, is to have some wood in there for the tanks.  They like to hide and be covered during the day, when the lights get dim you'll see them a bit more and they usually pop out of a log or something.  Temps can really vary, but most catfish like it cooler rather than hotter.  For these ones specifically, I have no idea, but please be sure to look that up!

Those two things combined, they should do really well.  Something like Repashy Bottom Scratcher, Repashy Soilent Green, Hikari algae wafers, or something similar once or twice a week and they should do really well for you.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 7:38 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Hi all! New pleco owner here and had a few questions!

So I don't know a whole lot about plecos yet, never really planned on getting any but my wife was showing a little more interest in my new 75G tank than usual and asked if she could choose a fish for it so obviously I couldn't refuse! She decided she liked plecos so she ended up buying two labelled as L236 Super White Plecos which are apparently Hypancistrus sp. They were not cheap so I'm hoping they do ok!

They are about 2 inches now so about half or bit under their eventual size, what sort of size do they need to be for me to sex them? I've tried looking up pics but the differences to my eyes are really subtle at the moment. 

My tank has a bunch of hidey spots but I think I should get them some caves, has anyone found a type or DIY'd themselves some caves that are fairly discreet? Or natural looking? I have a nature style scape and don't really want to spoil the look with some random ceramic/plastic/slate tubes or caves. 

Some pics of our new pets:PXL_20221020_150607872.jpg.089df2a3d7a91f40c2a55c68da854a11.jpgPXL_20221020_150941648.jpg.35c96c1100c7457968b8eaed3123e35e.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

I love the look of those plecos! They need to be sort of 7-9 cm for you to be able to see the bristles developing on the males 'snout'. Keep us posted on how they do!

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 7:06 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

They are super easy fish (most times)!

I think the best advice I can give any pleco owner, especially for fry, is to have some wood in there for the tanks.  They like to hide and be covered during the day, when the lights get dim you'll see them a bit more and they usually pop out of a log or something.  Temps can really vary, but most catfish like it cooler rather than hotter.  For these ones specifically, I have no idea, but please be sure to look that up!

Those two things combined, they should do really well.  Something like Repashy Bottom Scratcher, Repashy Soilent Green, Hikari algae wafers, or something similar once or twice a week and they should do really well for you.

That's good I have most of those anyway. 

I actually turned the temp up a little because I read online they like it warmer?? How do I find out for sure, any trusted source for temperature etc?

On 10/21/2022 at 11:10 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

That's good I have most of those anyway. 

I actually turned the temp up a little because I read online they like it warmer?? How do I find out for sure, any trusted source for temperature etc?

I think the guy on the KeepingFishSimple YouTube channel has kept and bred these. I'll try and post a link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t add info to care since I’ve not kept this beautiful L#. 
I can offer some hiding the cave info. 

I use these since they are less “offensive” to a natural scape. 0EB02917-9865-41B6-8C2D-C57D03AFD54B.png.b18e1fb093408ba0ff5bfb43f6f80861.png

I tuck them between plants so you really can’t see them. 

If you are not breeding them they will use any wood that has an underside sort of like a cave. 

Both of these tanks were just re-scaped last week so not filled in yet but it gives you an idea of what I mean. 

This pic the wood is Mom n Dads hang out. Tucked behind with accessible opening is their breeding cave. The terra cotta pots actually belong to my snails  mom n dad don’t use those  2AA26F98-639C-42F6-9C9A-7DDD1256983B.jpeg.6c2a715bc7ddd44ff523c4279a10dd2c.jpeg

Angel (male) has the breeding cave in the right tucked between Val that when it fills I won’t be able to see the cave. Lefty (female) is my only girl that likes being in a cave. She has one in the left (to the left of the cholla) but they breed in Angels cave. 54A583B4-73AB-42D6-8FB4-98625470BD8D.jpeg.1eb042579c6a6d21a69d9dfce9e3b614.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, Guppysnail said:

I use these since they are less “offensive” to a natural scape. 

You mean the plant pots?

On 10/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, Guppysnail said:

Angel (male) has the breeding cave in the right tucked between Val that when it fills I won’t be able to see the cave. Lefty (female) is my only girl that likes being in a cave. She has one in the left (to the left of the cholla) but they breed in Angels cave. 

Fish names are so fun!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 11:04 AM, Guppysnail said:

I can’t add info to care since I’ve not kept this beautiful L#. 
I can offer some hiding the cave info. 

I use these since they are less “offensive” to a natural scape. 0EB02917-9865-41B6-8C2D-C57D03AFD54B.png.b18e1fb093408ba0ff5bfb43f6f80861.png

If you are not breeding them they will use any wood that has an underside sort of like a cave. 

Both of these tanks were just re-scaled last week so not filled in yet but it gives you an idea of what I mean. 

This pic the wood is Mom n Dads hang out. Tucked behind with accessible opening is their breeding cave. The terra cotta pots actually belong to my snails  mom n dad don’t use those  2AA26F98-639C-42F6-9C9A-7DDD1256983B.jpeg.6c2a715bc7ddd44ff523c4279a10dd2c.jpeg

Angel (male) has the breeding cave in the right tucked between Val that when it fills I won’t be able to see the cave. Lefty (female) is my only girl that likes being in a cave. She has one in the left (to the left of the cholla) but they breed in Angels cave. 54A583B4-73AB-42D6-8FB4-98625470BD8D.jpeg.1eb042579c6a6d21a69d9dfce9e3b614.jpeg

Thanks! How big are those caves? Hard to picture scale but if they are quite small should be able to hide them. 

Also can I ask an unrelated question, in your first pic is that blyxa japonica? If so what's your secret? Each time I've tried it it's just melted away and disappeared within days.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 12:07 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

You mean the plant pots?

Didn’t see picture , my bad 🤦‍♂️

On 10/21/2022 at 12:13 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Also can I ask an unrelated question, in your first pic is that blyxa japonica? If so what's your secret? Each time I've tried it it's just melted away and disappeared within days.

I had the same problem. What did you keep it with?

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 6:13 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Thanks! How big are those caves? Hard to picture scale but if they are quite small should be able to hide them. 

The caves I can fit 3 fingers in. Amazon has the sizes and measurements. I use the smalls.  
Yes that is blyxa. My secret is I bought it at a swap last week from someone 🤣. I’ve never had one before so I really don’t know what the secret is. 

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2022 at 5:10 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

How do I find out for sure, any trusted source for temperature etc?

Planet catfish is the best source as well as Seriously fish and Aquarium Co-op if they cover that one. The rest of what I find online is either copied from those or complete junk written by folks who never kept them and simply regurgitate what they read from other non-reputable sources. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 11:36 AM, Guppysnail said:

Planet catfish is the best source as well as Seriously fish and Aquarium Co-op if they cover that one. The rest of what I find online is either copied from those or complete junk written by folks who never kept them and simply regurgitate what they read from other non-reputable sources. 

I think planet catfish is where I saw they like it warmer, aquarium co op and seriously fish are my go to's but weren't on either of them 

• Like 1

These guys are very similar in care to the L333 king tiger pleco.  They like warmer water, I keep mine in the low 80s, and some current in the tank. They are mainly carnivorous, but I have seen them munch on some zucchini or cucumber occasionally. I feed mine bloodworms, brine shrimp and even will cut up a cocktail shrimp and throw in and it will be gone by morning. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 6:47 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Such as you ?😏

I’m not a serious breeder. I don’t breed for profit or maximum yield. I’m a hobby breeder looking to have a few offspring that will grow in the birth tank successfully. I just luck out and end up with more fry than I actually want all the time. 🤣

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 6:48 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

These guys are very similar in care to the L333 king tiger pleco.  They like warmer water, I keep mine in the low 80s, and some current in the tank. They are mainly carnivorous, but I have seen them munch on some zucchini or cucumber occasionally. I feed mine bloodworms, brine shrimp and even will cut up a cocktail shrimp and throw in and it will be gone by morning. 

Yeah, let me just second the shrimp recommendation. I buy the extra-small, frozen (90-120 or 100-150 count) shrimp made for human consumption and feed them to my plecos along with lots of other stuff. Protein does seem to help encourage breeding and makes for happier fish. The shrimp are precooked, deveined, and "ready to eat." I just drop one in. I don't defrost them, just straight from the freezer. They'll find it and munch on it off and on through the day.  The other fish will also pick away at it through the day. It more resembles how fish feed natively where they graze more than sit down for a big meal. You'll find your fish chasing it all around the tank as they peck away at it. Since it's been cooked, and is clean, there's little risk of an immediate ammonia spike from it. A dead fish can cause a spike pretty quickly due to all the gunk inside of them. The shrimp are cleaned, cooked, and quite safe to leave in for an extended munching session. 

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 3:36 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

At the end of the day it’s all fish food, and probably the same as the rest.

It some of best quality food for L number pleco on the make most algae wafers you can buy only have about 6% spirulina EBO algae tab's have 30% it same for most of their food top quality ingredients  since I have been feeding my bristlenose pleco fry EBO youngster grow paste EBO veg sticks they have 50% pumpkin and 50% peas I have noticed increase growth and my adult spawn more frequently and have larger spawn's

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:29 PM, Colu said:

EBO youngster grow paste and EBO plankton tab's are great for hypancistrus they like more protein in there diet the grow paste has a protein content of 60%IMG_20221021_152830.jpg.770c5fb5159c813d95e34997681ac717.jpgIMG_20221021_152855.jpg.43baa98b556dcc5045ee85de201b1b9b.jpg

IMG_20220922_152234.jpg

IMG_20220922_152312.jpg

Where do you get yours? I've never seen it in shops and can only find it from Germany, do you have a UK supplier?