Worms came in on ramshorn snails

Maggie

I can't get a good closeup as its on the back glass of my tank, but I also saw a couple of them free swimming. I don't have fish in this tank yet TG but am wondering if the worms will die of starvation without fish/fish food in there, or if I need to treat with panacur. And if so then I guess I need to take my 4 new snails out and quarantine them but have no idea where as I have no more tanks. 

The worms are small. The pics are 10x mag on my cell. Any help in identifying and eradicating appreciated!

20201027_152044.jpg

20201027_152048.jpg

Personally I can’t ID them. But I’d have a few guesses. Some worms imo are harmless. Some cause major issues. But it looks like they have large heads on the photo so it might be hydra, you’d have to google and compare. I’d also recommend this article to maybe help with the ID 

WWW.THESPRUCEPETS.COM

The presence of tiny white worms can be very distressing to any aquarium owner. Although not harmful to fish...

• Thanks 1

Worms are a natural part of having an aquarium, especially if you don't have fish to snack on them. Most of the time they go unnoticed. It would be very difficult to tell you what kind but unless you physically see them coming out of the Ramshorn snails, it is doubtful that they are parasitic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

In general most things aren't worth "eradicating" all these things exist in nature and a balance is found. I find far often out attempts to get rid of something we think is "bad" actually does far worse things. My first question to everyone in the store is, is this actually a problem? Most respond with, I don't want it to become a problem. Well until you know it would even become a problem, we shouldn't really worry about it.