Floating Feeder Ring and Flow Baffle

JessicaK

Can anyone suggest a floating feeder ring that is deep?  I would like to break the current beneath the food, so that my betta can actually catch it.  While we're at it, any suggestions on baffle water flow in a betta aquarium.  Our betta is very active and even seems to enjoy swimming into the current, but it must be hard to rest with so much flow.  Ideas?  Thank you all so much!

• Administrators
On 10/3/2022 at 9:53 PM, JessicaK said:

Can anyone suggest a floating feeder ring that is deep?  I would like to break the current beneath the food, so that my betta can actually catch it.  While we're at it, any suggestions on baffle water flow in a betta aquarium.  Our betta is very active and even seems to enjoy swimming into the current, but it must be hard to rest with so much flow.  Ideas?  Thank you all so much!

Regarding the feeding ring, you can probably make one DIY style. Something like a food to-go container (the kind they use when you take home soup or something) could work.

As far as the outflow/baffle, you will need to provide more information (filter type, etc).

The thing about DIY is there is always some trial and error involved. You never get it just right for your setup on the first try. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to swap out the filter that came with the tank with either a lower capacity hob filter, or a sponge filter. Any of the "mini" or "slim" hob filters will work. Look for something that is adjustable. 

Don't get me wrong, I still lead with DIY for a lot of projects. But I usually learn the hard way that the time and material costs I invested end up being a lot more than I would have spent to pay for someone else's fix of the problem in the first place. If you know you'll need lots of the item, then DIY starts to make more sense because you won't go through the trial discovery fail trial discovery etc cycle on all the subsequent items. But if you just have 1 tank, and just need 1 filter...

I use 3/8” diameter silicone tubing as floating rings to keep plants out or keep them contained.  They also work as feeder rings.  They are double the diameter of airline so they protrude higher and go slightly deeper than airline.  I have a few that I have attached to the aquarium side using suction cups and zip/cable ties and a few that I have canabalized feeder rings that have suction cups attached by a hinged bit.  Then I glue that to the tubing.  You will need appropriate fittings to close the rings.

2EA9F582-440D-462A-B5C2-21842E15987E.jpeg

C12A75A9-F7C6-4AFC-B01B-01816C94CA02.jpeg

0FDC5525-7AAA-41E2-9DE8-D4142C557042.jpeg

FF38E570-1ECB-429A-AA2A-D700EBF640CF.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 11:42 PM, Odd Duck said:

I use 3/8” diameter silicone tubing as floating rings to keep plants out or keep them contained.  They also work as feeder rings.  They are double the diameter of airline so they protrude higher and go slightly deeper than airline.  I have a few that I have attached to the aquarium side using suction cups and zip/cable ties and a few that I have canabalized feeder rings that have suction cups attached by a hinged bit.  Then I glue that to the tubing.  You will need appropriate fittings to close the rings.

2EA9F582-440D-462A-B5C2-21842E15987E.jpeg

C12A75A9-F7C6-4AFC-B01B-01816C94CA02.jpeg

0FDC5525-7AAA-41E2-9DE8-D4142C557042.jpeg

FF38E570-1ECB-429A-AA2A-D700EBF640CF.jpeg

I've been thinking about doing something like this ever since I watched through Foo the Flowerhorn's videos - just never wanted to deal with bending acrylic.

This seems perfect. Thanks so much!

• Like 1