HELP!!! Two bettas in bad conditions

Lily

Hello!

My name is Lily, my friend just moved and out of nowhere left me his two Betta fish. A male and a female, both in a glass bowl without anything else. 

I have never had fish and do not know what to do, I realized the female was clearly being attacked by the male so after reading some web pages I moved her to another bowl and bought them some stuff for their bowls. It have been 4 days since my friend left them with me. 

Now, I am worried for their health, they do not look like the colorful and healthy Bettas in pictures. Can you please give me your thoughts? 

The female is the red one, I named her Lady, she have almost no fins.

094BCF15-239D-4B6A-854D-8E921E48100F.jpeg.88f067bade36066898f81dc1d1a908de.jpeg

The male is the yellow one, I named him Boy, and his fins look weak.

70E5BD19-24BF-47DC-A743-725514FA7454.jpeg.a3ca2b5a9d859982d1e90d0f7c448fde.jpeg

The thumbnail picture is from the day my friend gave them to me, I do not know for how long he had them or anything. 

I have no tank, my friend had them both in a bowl and I do not own a tank (or any fish related stuff). Right now they are both in separate bowls with water (I used tap water and pour Seachem Prime as instructed).

I bought them some Catappa Indian Almond Leaves (I read it is good for their health) and put one in each bowl.

After putting them in different bowls they started acting normal and have show their personalities, the food my friend left me is Aqueon Betta Food Pellets, they eat them happily. 

I also bought API aquarium salt but haven’t use it because I am not sure how and I am scare to make it worst. I also bought some API Bettafix but haven’t use it either, because I don’t know what they have or what is better. (For what I read it is really easy to make things worst and they can die, I really do not want to mess it up)

Can you please check their pictures? Please tell me if they look sick to you, if so, do you know what it might be? How can I heal them? 

Should I use the salt and how exactly? Or should I do something else? Or should I do nothing? 

Please HELP! Thank you 

P.d: Now I want to keep the fish and give them a nice life. After reading a lot of web pages this last few days (and finding this forum), I have been preparing to get them a 5 gallon tank each but it takes a lot and is still in the process, I will do another post with that topic later, for now, please help me with the concern I wrote above (their health is what worries me the most right now) 

THANK YOU!! 

• Love 1

On 10/1/2022 at 12:10 AM, Lily said:

Hello!

My name is Lily, my friend just moved and out of nowhere left me his two Betta fish. A male and a female, both in a glass bowl without anything else. 

I have never had fish and do not know what to do, I realized the female was clearly being attacked by the male so after reading some web pages I moved her to another bowl and bought them some stuff for their bowls. It have been 4 days since my friend left them with me. 

Now, I am worried for their health, they do not look like the colorful and healthy Bettas in pictures. Can you please give me your thoughts? 

The female is the red one, I named her Lady, she have almost no fins.

094BCF15-239D-4B6A-854D-8E921E48100F.jpeg.88f067bade36066898f81dc1d1a908de.jpeg

The male is the yellow one, I named him Boy, and his fins look weak.

70E5BD19-24BF-47DC-A743-725514FA7454.jpeg.a3ca2b5a9d859982d1e90d0f7c448fde.jpeg

The thumbnail picture is from the day my friend gave them to me, I do not know for how long he had them or anything. 

I have no tank, my friend had them both in a bowl and I do not own a tank (or any fish related stuff). Right now they are both in separate bowls with water (I used tap water and pour Seachem Prime as instructed).

I bought them some Catappa Indian Almond Leaves (I read it is good for their health) and put one in each bowl.

After putting them in different bowls they started acting normal and have show their personalities, the food my friend left me is Aqueon Betta Food Pellets, they eat them happily. 

I also bought API aquarium salt but haven’t use it because I am not sure how and I am scare to make it worst. I also bought some API Bettafix but haven’t use it either, because I don’t know what they have or what is better. (For what I read it is really easy to make things worst and they can die, I really do not want to mess it up)

Can you please check their pictures? Please tell me if they look sick to you, if so, do you know what it might be? How can I heal them? 

Should I use the salt and how exactly? Or should I do something else? Or should I do nothing? 

Please HELP! Thank you 

P.d: Now I want to keep the fish and give them a nice life. After reading a lot of web pages this last few days (and finding this forum), I have been preparing to get them a 5 gallon tank each but it takes a lot and is still in the process, I will do another post with that topic later, for now, please help me with the concern I wrote above (their health is what worries me the most right now) 

THANK YOU!! 

First off, your a life saver! Second I believe looking at those images they both have fin rot. For the fin rot you should use 1tsp of aquairum salt per gallon and do this for a week. In my experience bettafix is totally useless so don't use it unless the fin rot gets worse. Most cases fin rots are caused from poor water conditions. I recommend doing water change every other day. I also recommend getting airstones for them to aeriate the water.

• Thanks 1

First of all, welcome to the community. Congratulations on inheriting your fish. We're all happy to help you be successful with your new hobby. I hope your new fish bring you joy.

The Indian almond leaves were a great choice. I'm with @DiscusLoveras well. Freshwater aquarium salt, 30% water changes, a fine air stone with a reduced air flow so the water isn't churning too much. Healing will take time but their fin rot should stop quickly with the addition of the leaves and above treatment.

You'll have a lot of fun with 5 gallon tanks! They are my personal favorite. Take your time. You're doing great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, Lily said:

With Aquarium salt you only want put back in the amount you take out so if you do a 1 gallon water change put 1 table spoon back as salt is diluted thought water  changes 

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m proud of you for one. I know many people who wouldn’t pay much attention to the little guys and just leave it the way it is. Your big heart for them is admirable that’s for sure. I have a Google doc that’s a Betta care guide that explains anything and everything needed for solely bettas. It explains water chemistry, the meaning of parameters and how to adjust them, it has all known diseases to bettas and causes, symptoms. Treatments are still being worked on at the moment.  And than of course the types of equipment bettas need and tips for enrichment and such. Lots of good stuff haha. If you’d find this helpful let me know and I can figure out if I need to send a link of some sort or if you would want it emailed to you. Not exactly sure how to share it over the phone.