A COLOSSAL IDIOT walks into a pet store....(an illustrated tail - intentional misspelling- of woe)

I would still do Prazi, just to be thorough.  If we get lucky, it finishes sorting him out.  If not, the drug is not absorbed significantly orally, so it should have minimal risk of side effects.  It will be taken in and act on any parasites on the gills or internally, but it’s not significantly absorbed into the blood stream.

Edited by Odd Duck
Clarify
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK Betta friends

Announcement. White Twintail Halfmoon had no takers on the local club board. I feel as though even if Red makes a full recovery he has even less of a chance of finding a new home via that channel. Lots of thinking was done- there was always a possibility of not findng them homes- this was in the back of my mind when I made the decision to try and help them. I kept tossing around divided tanks or adding 2 small tanks. I really didn't want to do either- both options weren't great to me for the fish or my workload when it comes to tanks. 

I finally had a light bulb moment. So this is the plan. This morning I ordered a 12 gallon bookshelf tank from Aquatop (with lid). I love Aquatop products and I've wanted this kind of tank for a long while so I was glad I got this idea. I will build that tank (theme/personality not finalized) and I will be putting my CPD from my 4.12 gallon Aquatop on my kitchen counter into that tank. this frees up the cube (and I might actually see my CPD more so this is a bonus) and it will have to be restyled as most of the plants will come out (and be put in the new tank) and maybe some of the substrate to give the cube more swimming space and be better for a Betta. I realize this isn't an entirely ideal size but it could be upgraded eventually. This is where Red Crowntail is going to go eventually. 

My resident Betta, Koinanu may move into the 12 gallon long- he's the biggest of all of the Betta and it's 2 more gallons than what he's in when the grow out divider isn't there. However, I may just move White Twintail into that long tank with the CPD because I'm not sure how Koianu will take the CPD and I'd like to maybe add a few Guppies. I think White has a very mellow personality- unlike Koianu who is constantly on the move, sometimes flares and seems like he'd be more aggressive with tankmates. White is super mellow, never seen him flare and just casually moves about the tank- like Serket the GloBetta and I knew she'd work where she is now and she is. 

So the ad was removed and we move forward. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Is the aqua-top this one?

Screenshot_20221113_082747_Photos.jpg.6d19754eb4283bc526951ddc24e4817d.jpg

🤣 If it is, you're living my dream. I want to buy this tank. I've wanted it since April but have no place to put it to do it justice. I took a picture at my local pet shop. I look at it every time I go in. 😭 It has so much dust in it.

• Love 1

Congratulations!

On 11/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, Minanora said:

Is the aqua-top this one?

Screenshot_20221113_082747_Photos.jpg.6d19754eb4283bc526951ddc24e4817d.jpg

🤣 If it is, you're living my dream. I want to buy this tank. I've wanted it since April but have no place to put it to do it justice. I took a picture at my local pet shop. I look at it every time I go in. 😭 It has so much dust in it.

Dust is cleanable! (Looks like we both replied at the same time😂!)

On 11/13/2022 at 8:32 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Congratulations!

Dust is cleanable! (Looks like we both replied at the same time😂!)

I feel like the dust is a reminder to me to not buy it. Because it will just collect more dust at my house. 😂 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:36 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Minanora yep that's the one. Been in love with it for a while because I love my 4 gallon so much. It's very well made and the glass is so beautiful/clear. I got the glass top to go with it, cause, gotta have a top! 

@TheSwissAquarist, yep almost there. 

They have the top at my shop, too. The box is also covered in dust. 😭

I can hardly wait to see what you do with yours! 💚

• Like 1

Hey Betta fans, 

Just a short update- not much going on for now with my last 2 patients. 

Technically now they are not really patients. Not having had any Prazipro on hand (I swear I thought I did) I did a round of Paracleanse on Red Crowntail (as it has praziquantel in it along with metronidazole the latter he already has had a round of). this didn't seem to have any effect on Crowntail just managed to cloud his water up. He's been off that since and no longer medicated. He still stays mostly at the top of his tank but I have seen him lower than the waterline a few times just not for very long. I'm not sure if he's still having bouancy issues or not- not a clue what to do for little one now other than just time and good water. He LOOKS healthy just doesn't act entirely like a normal Betta. His color is better and his spirit seems up. He mostly likes to hang out on his Betta leaf and eats, as he has always, very well. This pic was taken last night the lights are low but you can see his color is better: 1500522267_redcrowntail112122.jpg.751afe15d163aa9b14024c34822ecf26.jpg

White Twintail Halfmoon still good. Last night he was hiding under his floaters which seems to be his very favorite place to be, usually have to coax him out from under to find his food at feeding time: 528678799_whitetwintail112122.jpg.b0083451a423535a2144818d50c55a70.jpg

Right now, we're all just in a holding pattern until tank 6 gets built.... 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Red Crown is looking soooo much better!  Hard to tell about White when I can only see bits of him.  😆

Really quite an accomplishment saving all 4 and you should be proud!  Even if Red Crown doesn’t get back to 100% normal.  That may be his normal since there’s no way to tell what state he was in before he was shipped from who knows where then left in a nasty cup.  He’s alive, eating, has good color now, and appears to be happy.  I say you (and they) won!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

You've done a fantastic job of rehabbing these little guys and you richly deserve the joy of that bookshelf tank. Red crowntail may remain "from the scratch and dent section" for life*, but you have made sure he is warm, fed, has clean water and things to see and interact with in his environment--the best any betta in a cup could hope for and much better than being in a vase of peace lilies under the AC vent on someone's desk. Very inspiring!

*Not to rule out further improvements, because I can picture him getting straighter and stronger over time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, PineSong said:

You've done a fantastic job of rehabbing these little guys and you richly deserve the joy of that bookshelf tank. Red crowntail may remain "from the scratch and dent section" for life*, but you have made sure he is warm, fed, has clean water and things to see and interact with in his environment--the best any betta in a cup could hope for and much better than being in a vase of peace lilies under the AC vent on someone's desk. Very inspiring!

*Not to rule out further improvements, because I can picture him getting straighter and stronger over time!

He’s literally living his best life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone very much for the kind words and well wishes for me and the fishes (ha!). I am truly hoping over time Red gets at least a bit better. He must have been highly damaged to have needed so much time to even get to where we are. I feel really bad for the little guy. I know his future home of the 4.12 gallon Aquatop isn't entirely ideal but it's 1 gallon more than what he has now- it will be TONS warmer, and a far more established tank than what he's been housed in here so far. I think this might help his recovery more. It's just going to be a while before the 12 gallon gets built (hopefully I'll only need 6 weeks tops before the other fish can start moving in). Then I'll tidy up the Cube and move Red in. If he improves more and needs extra space to move about an upgrade would certainly be in his future. 

White we've decided is moving into the 12 gallon when it's ready. 

Koianu is far too fat and happy to move from the Accidental Oto Tank.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Small update. 

As we are in a holding pattern for the 12G bookshelf tank to be built my 2 Betta boys are doing pretty well. 

White Twintail Halfmoon is just living life in his tank. He's got nothing going on that I'm concerned about but for I'm not happy about having to leave him in a cooler tank for now. The weather has been especially cold and they room they are in can be one of the colder rooms in the house in the Winter (as it is the hottest in the Summer). It's been as cool ast 70 in the mornings- climbing to just over 75 at the best of times. I have a space heater on but it can only do so much- namely keeping the room from going below 70. He's a trooper though: 

1928196701_whitetwintail113022.jpg.771174308903b904a3a7048dcf927d9b.jpg

Then we have Red Crowntail- same issue- tank isn't as warm as I'd like and maybe the cooler water can prevent further healing- the benefit is bacteria would have a harder time invading. Gotta look on the brightside- speaking of which he seems to be improving in small bits- I find him less and less up at the very very top of the water. He seems to be fairly routinely at least a quarter below surface. He also seems to be getting more coloring- INCLUDING some streaks of possible blue on his lower Crowntail fins- not able to capture that on film: 

red crowntail 11 30 22.jpg

@Minanora (saw you hit like but I'd hit submit too soon, there's more! 😄)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Hit submit too soon!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

How large are the temporary tanks? Petsmart sells small 20-watt preset "betta" heaters. Maybe it would help keep the temperature more stable.  I had one in my 3-gallon betta tank and it did well until winter. Now I just keep it in case I have to setup a small hospital tank. 

IMG_20221130_130625872.jpg.40812d8cfdef825a004a1105974f3b3d.jpg

Edited by sairving
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@sairving they are a bit under 3 gallons. I am aware of the small heaters but I sadly have a couple of issues: 

1. I've "cooked" fish with those before in my small QT so I'd rather them be a little cold- thankfully here it will only be temporary. 

but most importantly: 

2. I have no more outlets! (I live in a small house with very few.) 

I have considered them, but logistically my house isn't capable- I'm already running power strips. I do appreciate the suggestion though!

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 1:04 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Small update. 

As we are in a holding pattern for the 12G bookshelf tank to be built my 2 Betta boys are doing pretty well. 

White Twintail Halfmoon is just living life in his tank. He's got nothing going on that I'm concerned about but for I'm not happy about having to leave him in a cooler tank for now. The weather has been especially cold and they room they are in can be one of the colder rooms in the house in the Winter (as it is the hottest in the Summer). It's been as cool ast 70 in the mornings- climbing to just over 75 at the best of times. I have a space heater on but it can only do so much- namely keeping the room from going below 70. He's a trooper though: 

1928196701_whitetwintail113022.jpg.771174308903b904a3a7048dcf927d9b.jpg

Then we have Red Crowntail- same issue- tank isn't as warm as I'd like and maybe the cooler water can prevent further healing- the benefit is bacteria would have a harder time invading. Gotta look on the brightside- speaking of which he seems to be improving in small bits- I find him less and less up at the very very top of the water. He seems to be fairly routinely at least a quarter below surface. He also seems to be getting more coloring- INCLUDING some streaks of possible blue on his lower Crowntail fins- not able to capture that on film: 

red crowntail 11 30 22.jpg

@Minanora (saw you hit like but I'd hit submit too soon, there's more! 😄)

Some of the folks with axolotl tanks use that reflective stuff to keep the tanks cool. Maybe you can use that to keep the tanks warm. It’s like bubble wrap but it is firmer and it is silver. They make car sun shields out of it. I think it is called Mylar? And it just gets wrapped around 3 sides of the tank.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1

The cheapest way to get mylar sheets would be the mylar blankets that ems, hikers, backpackers, etc carry.  They're super thin. Some are orange on one side and shiny on the other. You can buy them online. If you have an REI or other outdoor store nearby, mylar blankets are usually between $5-10.

Edited by sairving

On 11/30/2022 at 3:48 PM, sairving said:

The cheapest way to get mylar sheets would be the mylar blankets that ems, hikers, backpackers, etc carry.  They're super thin. Some are orange on one side and shiny on the other. You can buy them online. If you have an REI or other outdoor store nearby, mylar blankets are usually between $5-10.

The Mylar blankets are thin as paper; the car shields have some padding in between. Not sure which would be better for a tank?

Well and @sairvingand @Chick-In-Of-TheSea I'm wondering how much of a degree of difference it makes in the end. Would be an interesting experiment. I have some padded cushion envelopes my groceries get delivered in--they are silver, possibly mylar on the outside of them (they put ice packs inside). Maybe some day when I get the gumption I'll try it. In the end when it comes to these 2 Betta what I'm more unhappy about is that their tank isn't 79-80 degrees. As long as they stay in the 70s they'll live but probably not super happy about the conditions. Don't worry, just a bit longer. Hopefully now less than a month!

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:54 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The Mylar blankets are thin as paper; the car shields have some padding in between. Not sure which would be better for a tank?

That's a good question. The blankets are meant to reflect body heat, stop sweat evaporation, and keep people dry. Maybe the padded car shields would trap a bit more heat? You would have to make sure the car shield can wrap around the tank completely.