Asolene spixii snail adventure

Guppysnail

I ordered a few more than I wanted for a few tanks to allow for some to not make it. They sent me an extra and all 10 made it 😲 So I guess I’m in the spixii breeding game now. 

they sent some food and calcium chips with portion sizes which was sweet  My understanding is their care is just like mystery snails  

Just a fun adventure with new kids.  If you have them or have had them share what you know please.  Just curious chime in also.

Lets adventure together  

86D685F2-E9AE-4319-9B3D-172325F27737.jpeg

D062EC1E-F4B2-4740-BD5D-26331C5FF121.jpeg

F376D6A1-DF11-469E-87D2-7CAEFC78226D.jpeg

B03D0D03-C374-486B-99AB-3FBFAD17EF5F.jpeg

523862A3-43AB-435E-975E-66A9A7AB1184.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 9/29/2022 at 5:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

They are just babies. The size of a small young pea. I could not even put them in their intended tanks for fear of them getting munched. So I don’t know. I know only what the net says. 

Well the next adventure begins!

• Love 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:17 PM, Guppysnail said:

Yes it is. I think I’m going to order a bag. I like how it falls apart soft. 

Just a word of caution, it has stained my substrate in the area around the feeding dish. (I didn't used to use the dish, and sometimes I miss.) I'm not sure which product specifically, I got a bunch of the samples and didn't pay enough attention to what was what, but at least one of them puts off a lot of blue dye when submerged.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2022 at 7:33 PM, Katherine said:

Just a word of caution, it has stained my substrate in the area around the feeding dish. (I didn't used to use the dish, and sometimes I miss.) I'm not sure which product specifically, I got a bunch of the samples and didn't pay enough attention to what was what, but at least one of them puts off a lot of blue dye when submerged.

Good to know. Both tanks I’ll be using it in are bare bottom so it should be ok. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 9:06 AM, laritheloud said:

I've always wanted Spixis but don't know where to source them locally. They are so cute! Let me know how they do for you. Mystery snails never live very long in my tanks, but I'd love to try these guys if I can find them.

My understanding is they can crossbreed with Giant Columbian ramshorns and create an aggressive hybrid that also demolishes plants. I would  not house them with your GCRs. eBay is my “local” source 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 9:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

My understanding is they can crossbreed with Giant Columbian ramshorns and create an aggressive hybrid that also demolishes plants. I would  not house them with your GCRs. eBay is my “local” source 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Wait giant aggressive  snails?! Why do I see a movie plot. In this. Just an average everyday nerm accident cross breeds and they get loose and terrorize the world!

• Haha 4

On 9/29/2022 at 4:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

I ordered a few more than I wanted for a few tanks to allow for some to not make it. They sent me an extra and all 10 made it 😲 So I guess I’m in the spixii breeding game now. 

they sent some food and calcium chips with portion sizes which was sweet  My understanding is their care is just like mystery snails  

Just a fun adventure with new kids.  If you have them or have had them share what you know please.  Just curious chime in also.

Lets adventure together  

86D685F2-E9AE-4319-9B3D-172325F27737.jpeg

D062EC1E-F4B2-4740-BD5D-26331C5FF121.jpeg

F376D6A1-DF11-469E-87D2-7CAEFC78226D.jpeg

B03D0D03-C374-486B-99AB-3FBFAD17EF5F.jpeg

523862A3-43AB-435E-975E-66A9A7AB1184.jpeg

Beautiful little guys!  Such crisp, clean, pinstripes!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put this post in general so everyone could see it. I knew Spixii snails ate bladder snail eggs. I did not know they hunt and eat live bladder snails. 
Sadly these guys are housed with my magenta new hatched. I’m hoping the operculum saves them. 
Cruel as it may sound I’m not separating them so I can determine if baby mysteries are safe with Spixii. 

Last week I thought one of my Spixii snail was eating a dead bladder snail. Most of my bladder snails have vanished in this tank. Tank houses magenta mystery snail babies and adults. 11 Asolene Spixii snails. Shrimp, bladder snails and one rogue panda Cory fry. 

I watched this Spixii hit te bladder with its antenna then speed up following the bladder along the glass. At the end you can see the empty bladder shell. 

EDIT sorry for the heavy breathing  I have a cold 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3
  • Love 2