Aquarium Hacks

CJs Aquatics

What’s up fish peeps, just wondering what’s your favorite aquarium related hack? I think mine is probably pvc related, everything from cheap decor to water change systems to caves for breeding to siphons etc. it’s not a specific “hack” but in general some of the ways I’ve seen it used in the hobby never cease to amaze me, what’s yours?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:20 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

🤣🤣 I don’t think that hack is a thing, currently have been online plant browsing for a long time now lol 

Omg if I even bought half the plants I put into carts while I'm bored I would probably not be able to pay rent and end up homeless. But at least I would have a nice vegetarian diet for awhile!

On 9/1/2022 at 2:23 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

i know that feeling, I just can’t ever seem to decide bc I want it all 

I had a list of plants I wanted about a month ago. The major problem I had was not 1 site had all of them in stock. It drove me nuts. I would check every site every day and there was no way I could get it all on the same one. And one plant specifically NONE of them had in stock. Was madenning. I think ACO's version of the plant is STILL out of stock. Also, literally nobody stocks ambulia specifically so I was searching for the simular versions of the plant. 

Funny enough I found someone local with it literally 2 days after ordering my substitute. But that's not the end...

So we made a trade yay I have my ambulia. He warns me of bladder snails so I quarantine. Then I got suuuper sick and didn't do anything with it. By the time I was better it was dead. Rip my ambulia dreams. 

Add:  just checked and can confirm. Mayaca fluviatilis is still out of stock. I'm telling you every plant similar is out of stock everywhere!

Ouch, that’s rough… it’s only fair to share, I just budgeted for 2 weeks to order plants I was looking for, similar situation, it wasn’t that they didn’t have what I wanted, I wanted it be better so it had the best chance of success, fast forward after spending money and making my purchase, (not from ACO) those plants are currently sitting in my water change bucket with a double dose of excel in an attempt (that I don’t think is going to be successful) to battle the BBA that I’m convinced they came with it or at least a start of it because I’ve never in my years seen it in this fish room only in pictures. At least I have the best aquascaped waterchange bucket in the hobby I guess… no plants in the tank lol 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:37 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

Ouch, that’s rough… it’s only fair to share, I just budgeted for 2 weeks to order plants I was looking for, similar situation, it wasn’t that they didn’t have what I wanted, I wanted it be better so it had the best chance of success, fast forward after spending money and making my purchase, (not from ACO) those plants are currently sitting in my water change bucket with a double dose of excel in an attempt (that I don’t think is going to be successful) to battle the BBA that I’m convinced they came with it or at least a start of it because I’ve never in my years seen it in this fish room only in pictures. At least I have the best aquascaped waterchange bucket in the hobby I guess… no plants in the tank lol 

Oh that gave me a thought, while I'm fixing this crashed cycle and rescaping the tank I really should get a better handle on my BBA. it's all over my poor amazon sword. I've been keeping lights off the past couple of days and dosed excel a couple of times but I don't wanna dose too much of it. No inhabitants munching on it rn plus all algae kinda going nut with parameters out of wack

On 9/1/2022 at 3:42 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Oh that gave me a thought, while I'm fixing this crashed cycle and rescaping the tank I really should get a better handle on my BBA. it's all over my poor amazon sword. I've been keeping lights off the past couple of days and dosed excel a couple of times but I don't wanna dose too much of it. No inhabitants munching on it rn plus all algae kinda going nut with parameters out of wack

Pull the sword out and dose it seperate from the tank perhaps 

On 9/1/2022 at 2:43 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

Pull the sword out and dose it seperate from the tank perhaps 

Not a terrible idea. I had hoped to not move it but there probably isn't any harm in doing so. 

I haven't actually whatever it's called where you deliberately dose onto the leaves .that thing. Haven't done it yet. Another idea maybe. Wow I just sounded super smart just now lol

• Haha 1

566954289_FishStick.jpg.9012458afbac0229155d37788b02666f.jpg

My first and most useful hack were fish sticks made from the stainless stiffeners from windshield wipers.  Rust proof and easily bent, they can be used to snag lost tools, plants, decorations...  After hooking one end on the rim, and burying the other in the substrate,  they make a great Skewer for feeding veggies.  A wine cork makes them unsinkable.

• Like 6

I've posted it here before, but I took an acrylic measuring cup and drilled a bunch of holes in the side to use when adding water to a tank.  I hang it on the side of the tank and pour the water into it to disperse the flow so it doesn't disturb the plants or substrate.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:01 AM, JettsPapa said:

I've posted it here before, but I took an acrylic measuring cup and drilled a bunch of holes in the side to use when adding water to a tank.  I hang it on the side of the tank and pour the water into it to disperse the flow so it doesn't disturb the plants or substrate.

Still love this and still use mine from your post last year. 🤗

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 9:01 AM, JettsPapa said:

I have my version of that which took less thought. I'm not very handy. A strainer with skewers through it to hold it in place. I forgot that was a thing I did lol

20220718_184239.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/1/2022 at 11:32 AM, Patrick_G said:

My hack to stretch a tight  budget is to mix aquasoil with 1/3 gravel and 1/3 sand. You still get the benefits of the commercial aquasoil and you save a ton of money. 

I might have to use this someday. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to use anything but gravel out of fear. I did recently buy some black sand to put in my shrimp tank that's currently barebottom but it hasn't been put in yet

• Like 3