Wisteria as bad as duckweed

Jstewart0925

On 8/18/2022 at 8:16 PM, Pepere said:

...despite some people saying you can never remove duckweed once you get it, I removed it from all three tanks a few months ago, and no sign of it having returned.

I will admit it was a chore, and not much fun to do….

Goldfish will get rid of duckweed. They LOVE the stuff. Also, I never really had many issues getting rid of duckweed without the goldfish.

After fishing too much of it out with a net, I was kind of afraid I had killed my "duckweed garden," and the goldfish would not have snack food any more. For me, small amounts of duckweed seemed to have far longer "doubling times" than larger amounts. I don't know why that is. Did anyone have similar observations?

On 8/17/2022 at 9:18 PM, EVoyager31 said:

Sidebar, what plant are you using to carpet? Cool looking tank!

It’s dwarf hair grass

On 8/18/2022 at 6:16 AM, Pepere said:

It surely is a lot easier to remove wisteria than every tiny bit of duckweed though….

despite some people saying you can never remove duckweed once you get it, I removed it from all three tanks a few months ago, and no sign of it having returned.

I will admit it was a chore, and not much fun to do….

Lol yea I know duckweed can be a chore to remove…I was meaning that the wisteria in my tank grows SUPER fast I trim it back and with in no time it take over again. 😆

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:17 PM, Jstewart0925 said:

This plant imo is as bad as duckweed i cut it down pretty good last trimming not to long ago and it grows back super fast take over the whole aquarium. 🤣 baby shrimp love hiding in it tho. 
6806364D-A57B-4E91-A8F5-DBF2FE288F00.jpeg.c3fd675e540f23966fe417d352ef7b5b.jpeg6923A3BB-1A25-4175-AB48-38A6789FC3EC.jpeg.18022968c2f873cccd535c6606e9ec5e.jpeg

I wish I had your Wisteria problems, and your Banana plants! Great looking setup!

I've tried to create a duckweed problem, but it can't outrun the SDs.

• Like 1

I've been quite impressed w/ water wisteria. I got a few different kind of stem plants to try a while back & the wisteria is by far doing the best. Mine is mostly planted in substrate & the tank that's doing the best is the oldest & has lots of mulm. So I do think it likes being planted. I like that it stays kinda bushy, where as the bacopa & ludwigia grow straight up & only the top part of the plant looks good. 

This summer has been a duckweed explosion. I've fished so much out of my tanks & it just keeps coming. I'm up to 3 buckets outside of duckweed. Makes me want to get goldfish 😅

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:10 AM, PotatoFish said:

Goldfish will get rid of duckweed. They LOVE the stuff. Also, I never really had many issues getting rid of duckweed without the goldfish.

After fishing too much of it out with a net, I was kind of afraid I had killed my "duckweed garden," and the goldfish would not have snack food any more. For me, small amounts of duckweed seemed to have far longer "doubling times" than larger amounts. I don't know why that is. Did anyone have similar observations?

@PotatoFish, can goldfish overeat duckweed? Mine are mad for the stuff, but I know they're susceptible to bloat...

On 9/10/2022 at 11:16 PM, clovenpine said:

@PotatoFish, can goldfish overeat duckweed? Mine are mad for the stuff, but I know they're susceptible to bloat...

I have personally never had that issue with goldfish and duckweed. Duckweed is high in fiber and helps with digestion, which could actually help to move things along quite quickly through their digestive track. It has the "roughage" to help things go.

• Love 1

On 9/11/2022 at 12:41 PM, smm333 said:

I wish I had this problem! I have water wisteria in 2 tanks and it's struggling to grow in both! 

I appreciate the insane growth of duckweed because I toss handfuls to my turtles and toss excess into my pond where goldfish eat it up!

Hmm weird over never had a problem knock on wood. mine grows like wildfire it took over my tank so bad I cut a ton out. And got it growing in tubs now. 

On 9/11/2022 at 10:44 AM, Jstewart0925 said:

Hmm weird over never had a problem knock on wood. mine grows like wildfire it took over my tank so bad I cut a ton out. And got it growing in tubs now. 

I keep trying because it is beautiful.  I really want to get it growing as a floating plant. The roots look amazing!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 5:13 PM, Jstewart0925 said:

It even looks pretty cool growing out the water  930F3786-FDA1-41B0-B29A-D5EE22094591.jpeg.842c6575a7b8a73528b7036539a621c6.jpeg

😬 My no tech plant only project tank grows Wisteria the best.  Once it breaks the surface, the tips die.

@smm333  The only reason I still have Wisteria is because it liked my project tank.  It seems to grow best (for me) in lower light, longer duration, cooler water, and a sand substrate.  >but<  The Wisteria has finally decided grow in the 75.  Gravel, low/med light, warmer water.  One possible reason: I dose with  Easy Green even though  the Nitrates are about 50ppm without EG.  The other possibility is that the plant cuttings seem to do better than the parent plant.

• Like 1