NanotankBank

On 7/28/2022 at 7:05 PM, anewbie said:

If your water is not too hard  i would stock it as follows:

6 to 8 green neon tetra or ember tetra

8 kubotai rasbora

pair borelli apistogramma (m/f)

8 pygmy cory.

-

Btw DO NOT keep rummynose in anything shorter than 4 ft - they are a fast moving schooling fish; also if you want the borelli to breed successfully avoid the larger tetra like glowlight, lemon, rio flame, ... they love to eat frys. 

Good luck.

Replace the cories for otos and cockatoo for borellei and this is my son’s 29 that I’m working to get up and going.  🙂

If you don't like the smaller tetra's as a filler maybe the Cherry barbs are an option? I hear they are much more community friendly then other barbs and they have great color. 

I don't know if 6 praecox rainbow's are an option? Some say they do well in a 29, others say they need a 40 gallon or larger. I am new as well so best to dubble check, just trying tot help with some idea's :).

Best of luck with your tank!

On 7/29/2022 at 7:17 AM, pjust9 said:

Not a huge tetra guy, but there are some rasboras i like. Which do you think would work? How many? and why exclude the gouramis? I hear Honey Gouramis are quite peaceful. Thanks!

I think that you should stock your tank with 9 Chilli Rasboras, 1 Honey Gourami, 6 Albino Cory Catfish and 6 Cherry Shrimp.. everyone with get along with each other and the stocking is not over the top. In the end, it is up to you

On 7/28/2022 at 7:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

To the first question, yes.

Second question.....

Silvertip tetras:

Emperor Tetras:
image.jpeg.adc14a52de84e403bf60ed388cbdefff.jpegimage.jpeg.3fcb375116811a009b30b77b3a282b2e.jpeg

I also see aquahuna has "blue emperor tetra"

Rio Flame tetra (red/yellow)
Ember Tetra (red)
Glowlight Tetra (very cool looking iridescent bronze fish)
Penguin Tetra
Lemon Tetra
Rummynose Tetra

^^ I would look into all of these. If not available locally, aquahuna is a great place to look at and ACO has a discount code.

Chili rasbora, neon green rasbora, etc. are all some similar fish that would do well in that tank as long as temps are verified to be acceptable.  For both of these it shouldn't be an issue.

There's a lot of interesting fish out there and the nice thing is, you're at the most fun part of the hobby for a lot of people.  Trying to decide what goes in the tank and looking forward to the result!  Take your time. 

As far as "how many" I will point you towards AqAdvisor.  It's very easy to use, if you have any questions about it please feel free to ask.

That was very satisfying to watch 100 fish added to a tank.

• Love 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:23 AM, pjust9 said:

I’m thinking I might go for the Apisto, as well as False Julii Corys and Chili Rasboras. I’ll keep the tank at a solid 78°, and pH at around 6.8 if I can. I’ll have to test the water parameters first though

If you have just  a male apisto then the julii cory are fine but if you go with a pair drop the julii it will create problems. Also 'apisto' is a genus and the various species have different behavior and requirements so don't read about one species and think it applies to other species.

Edited by anewbie

On 7/29/2022 at 10:25 AM, anewbie said:

If you have just  a male apisto then the julii cory are fine but if you go with a pair drop the julii it will create problems. Also 'apisto' is a genus and the various species have different behavior and requirements so don't read about one species and think it applies to other species.

Yes I was just planning on one Male Apisto! And the specific species was Apistogramma Agassizii. I think that might be the best move for me

• Like 1

Just to sow some last minute confusion, one of my all time favorite tanks was a 10(fish) gallon bookshelf aquarium with 6 Honey Gouramis, a few amano shrimp, and a few cories. That might sound a little overstocked to some, but it had a large footprint (9 inches by 3 feet) and I had lots of filtration (Fluval 406). It was one of my favorite all-time tanks to watch. I will always push people to consider a shoal of Honey Gouramis! They are playful and interactive, without being aggressive with each other. There is always something going on, but they swim gracefully so it is still relaxing. Your mileage may vary, but mine had no issues with shrimp or small (clithon corona) snails. They really are anything but filler. I have since moved and had to give the tank and fish away but I am already planning to recreate a version of it, this time inspired by an amazing Oliver Knott 20 gallon cube with Honeys and Cobalt Gobies.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, IanB said:

Just to sow some last minute confusion, one of my all time favorite tanks was a 10(fish) gallon bookshelf aquarium with 6 Honey Gouramis, a few amano shrimp, and a few cories. That might sound a little overstocked to some, but it had a large footprint (9 inches by 3 feet) and I had lots of filtration (Fluval 406). It was one of my favorite all-time tanks to watch. I will always push people to consider a shoal of Honey Gouramis! They are playful and interactive, without being aggressive with each other. There is always something going on, but they swim gracefully so it is still relaxing. Your mileage may vary, but mine had no issues with shrimp or small (clithon corona) snails. They really are anything but filler. I have since moved and had to give the tank and fish away but I am already planning to recreate a version of it, this time inspired by an amazing Oliver Knott 20 gallon cube with Honeys and Cobalt Gobies.

I agree.  I usually push for pearl gouramis when the tank is large enough (I have twelve in a 40 gallon breeder tank), but honeys are great too.

• Like 1