Cheap Hardscape???

ItsaDreamFrodo

One thing I am curious about watching Youtubers "price" out their new builds; other than the DIY stand, they always seem to save $$$ on hardscape. I live in California and have access to driftwood. But how do people find all these extremely cheap rock/wood/driftwood options. I have seen complex test to determine if a rock is safe, but is there any easier way (such as an existing local river)? 

Wanting to build out a 125 and looking to save money. Already trying to make a base 2x4 gorgeous stand with cherry wood facade screwed over it, but would love to save some money on hardscaping. 

• Like 1

I got my larger rocks for free from lakes in Kentucky and Michigan. I have also bought some rocks from the stone yard where landscapers go to purchase rock. I myself like smooth stones so I buy the kind sold as "Cobbles" which range in size from egg sized to cantaloupe sized, or "Mexican Beach Pebbles" which are about the size of a fist. Most of these are 30 or 40 cents per pound. The stone yard also has more square/rectangular and flat stones, not sure on those prices as I haven't bought them but I would suspect the same range based on the giant ones I bought to use as patio pavers for the same price.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:05 PM, ItsaDreamFrodo said:

One thing I am curious about watching Youtubers "price" out their new builds; other than the DIY stand, they always seem to save $$$ on hardscape. I live in California and have access to driftwood. But how do people find all these extremely cheap rock/wood/driftwood options. I have seen complex test to determine if a rock is safe, but is there any easier way (such as an existing local river)? 

Wanting to build out a 125 and looking to save money. Already trying to make a base 2x4 gorgeous stand with cherry wood facade screwed over it, but would love to save some money on hardscaping. 

Have you found all driftwood is typically safe? or is there things to look out for there as well - other than boiling it to reduce tannins if needed?

@jeNks@Vince C@ItsaDreamFrodo First, welcome to the forums 🙂

Rocks I would first figure out what you want, then try to find it.  If your goal is "cheap" and you need a good size rock your only option is to go to a quarry or to collect it legally in your area from somewhere.

Wood is a bit more difficult and I can't honestly recommend "skimping" on the wood.  I have ordered wood once as a WYSIWYG type of experience. I got to pick out the exact piece for my tank and I'm extremely happy with that.  If you have a local shop, you can get wood cheaper by going into the store to purchase it and sort through the piles yourself.  If you're looking for a large piece like that, find a good source, pick it out, and you're going to end up paying for that.  I would think of it as the time saved trying to make the tank right.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 11:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@jeNks@Vince C@ItsaDreamFrodo First, welcome to the forums 🙂

Rocks I would first figure out what you want, then try to find it.  If your goal is "cheap" and you need a good size rock your only option is to go to a quarry or to collect it legally in your area from somewhere.

Wood is a bit more difficult and I can't honestly recommend "skimping" on the wood.  I have ordered wood once as a WYSIWYG type of experience. I got to pick out the exact piece for my tank and I'm extremely happy with that.  If you have a local shop, you can get wood cheaper by going into the store to purchase it and sort through the piles yourself.  If you're looking for a large piece like that, find a good source, pick it out, and you're going to end up paying for that.  I would think of it as the time saved trying to make the tank right.

I figured that was the case. I had ordered some wood online before and was definitely underwhelmed by what actually showed up. I will definitely go try and find a good local place that has a better selection. Thanks!

Check large landscaping companies stone work shops and places like that. Places like this.  Admin: it’s for an example they don’t ship and are a local company but hard to explain.

https://www.bayshoreconcrete.net/

aggregate companies

stonework yards( places that do natural stone counter tops but the actual cutting centers. Stone has become popular not marble and granite but more aquarium friendly stone.

these place often will charge little and if you talk to the right person free. A friend got enough bstone to do a 300g African Cichlid tank out of broke stone pieces from a place that did stone countertops. It’s raw be for polishing. California has different laws about picking up things wood are pretty safe but stay away from some things like pine. If it’s green wood I’d make sure that the sap and bark is safe. I wouldn’t use green wood and way. “Driftwood” drainage ditches. Low slow cooking( like meat) will make it safe. 

When I was younger I used to put seashells in the tank. Not even sure what that does to the parameters, but when you're a kid you just want the tank to look pretty. Probably adds calcium and whatnot; same effect as crushed coral?  Wasn't that many. Just 2 or 3.  I didn't even boil them, but I did rinse them under the tap.  Fortunately had no ill effects.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:42 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

When I was younger I used to put seashells in the tank. Not even sure what that does to the parameters, but when you're a kid you just want the tank to look pretty. Probably adds calcium and whatnot; same effect as crushed coral?  Wasn't that many. Just 2 or 3.

Before I began testing for anything other than PH, I added seashells to the HOB and dropped a few into one tank because the internet said the snails needed them.  I even added a carefully trimmed eggshell. Timed passed, the eggshell is long gone, but the seashells are still there. The parameters never changed and the snails are fine.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:02 PM, Pepere said:

As we look in the tank and see certain rocks we remember our outings….

Rocks are great souvenirs for the adults also!  I can tell you something about almost every rock on the shelf or in the aquarium.  

On 7/21/2022 at 8:05 PM, ItsaDreamFrodo said:

is there any easier way (such as an existing local river)

If you think the local river is clean enough to swim in, that is a good place to start.  I just scrub and boil. A walk in the woods will provide material. I've not gotten into using wood, but my understanding is that you should avoid anything in the evergreen family.  Someone will correct me on that. In addition to the other folks suggestions, Newly developed land will occasionally turn up a prize, and they won't mind if you take them.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:42 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

When I was younger I used to put seashells in the tank. Not even sure what that does to the parameters, but when you're a kid you just want the tank to look pretty. Probably adds calcium and whatnot; same effect as crushed coral?  Wasn't that many. Just 2 or 3.  I didn't even boil them, but I did rinse them under the tap.  Fortunately had no ill effects.

I still do. I posted when I talked about the snail shells. As long as they aren’t fresh they slowly break down into calcium carbonate

• Like 2

Thank you all, I have a family member who lives on a beach where it is legal to take driftwood. I was honestly just thinking of collecting a lot, treating it to be freshwater safe, and selling the extra online to fund buying spider pieces of wood which seem harder to find. It just seemed shocking how expensive these items are.

I was also thinking of using Prime Time Aquatics recommendation of landscaping stores and buying river rock, or another type he suggested. Just making sure there are no shiny pieces or chalk/soft pieces. 20-40 cents a pound seems great. 

Finding a wholesale landscape rock supplier is a good route.  They will typically have what is common locally so if you have your heart set on the perfect seiryu stone, you will be out of luck.  Check out the rocks available and what they will do to your ph, etc. before you put in the tank.

My lfs charge $3.50 a pound and up for most stone. I unfortunately heard far too late about lowes and home depot selling 44lb boxes of dragon stone for like $50. They never have it in stock anymore and prices doubled when they caught on. A certain large pet chain store has been on and off doing a 50% off 2nd aquarium decor. So 50 pounds of dragon stone for $87 i think. So I have enough for a while. Stock up on good deals and save for future projects.

I live in Southern California, and I've found that the best place to get drift wood is in the rivers and washes that come off the mountains. Manzanita wood can be acquired this way too. Be careful about harvesting wood though. You can gather it for "firewood" in public lands, unless it's manzanita. My understanding is that it's protected for some reason. Best solution for manzanita wood is to get it off private property (with the owners permission, of course). Arbutus wood is basically the same thing as manzanita wood, and they are pretty common landscaping trees/shrubs. Plus they aren't native, so you don't have worry about any protections on that front. Landscaping crews usually are grateful for you to take away big branches. Leptospermum and melaleuca wood works great in aquariums as well as most hard woods. I can't help you with rocks. I generally don't use rocks in my tanks. So yeah, washes in blm land, private property (with permission) and landscaping crews.

For driftwood, just make sure to boil it.

• It'll sanitize it/leach out any accidental toxins.
  • If it came from salt water, it'll remove excess salts/sand/minerals.
  • There may be a surprising amount of tannins. It's good to remove some of that.
  • You'll probably have to boil it anyway to get it to sink. Most driftwood will still be bouyant (if it sank, it wouldn't be driftwood).
    You'll probably have to weigh it down/glue it to rocks.

Happy scaping!