Planaria Eradication - what's the truth behind chemical treatments to get rid of planaria?

Mr Aqua Man

Hello friends,

I have been struggling with planaria for quite some time. I have read many suggestions about gravel vacuuming and feeding less. I've tried both inasmuch as I can. I have a monte carlo carpet (picture attached) so it's perfect for them to hide in. I do vacuum it (at the risk of up-rooting plants) and I collect a lot of planaria. However, at the end of the day, I can't keep up with it and I'm done trying "natural" ways of getting rid of planaria. Thus, I'm looking to treat the tank chemically with either Panacur C (fenbendazole, animal de-wormer) or No-Planaria made w/ Betal Palm Nut extract and produced by Genchem. I've seen a few of my shrimp be killed by planaria so I'm very fed up with them.

I've read many stories, good and bad, about using both products. For example, while using No-Planaria some had their biological filter bacteria crash and thus, toxin levels rised rapidly. Or, that fenbendazole has killed shrimp and made them early molt. Or, many stories of people using either product and both worked fine with no problems.

My tank is stocked with some valuable fish (chili rasboras, other micro rasboras, celestial pearl danios, emerald dwarf rasboras, pgymy corydoras and a lot of cherry shrimp) so I'm very hesitant about doing any chemical treatment at the risk of killing any of my livestock. I know that Girl Talks Fish (who works with Aquarium Co-Op) has made a video about using Panacur C and the dosing of it but I'm still hesitant.

Can anyone shed some light on the truth about the safety of using fenbendazole or No-Planaria in an aquarium? Is there just some level of risk that much be accepted if using either? Is one more riskier than the other? Should I try to remove all my fish temporarily when treating the tank? Are fish more at risk to either of these treatments than shrimp are?

Thanks for your help and insight!

Tank specs: 22 gallon, remineralize RO water with Salty Shrimp GH/KH+, C02 injection, Oase Biomaster 300 filter w/ Seachem Matrix media

20220621_153845.jpg

Edited by Mr Aqua Man
Typos, adding tank specs

I can’t help with chemicals but might be able to shed some light on why vacuuming doesn’t really help.  Planarians are amazing creatures when it comes to division and regeneration.  You can cut it in several pieces and end up with several planarians. So as the vac moves about the substrate it chops them up and always leaves some pieces behind capable of regeneration.  So you may have 1 and suck up 2 pieces three pieces may be left behind and you end up with 3 planarians vs the original one. So cutting back food and sucking up debris definitely helps control how fast they reproduce it really doesn’t do much for numbers reduction in the immediate term. 
Not helpful but hopefully informative.  

• Like 1

Hi @Guppysnail, thanks for the info. I have heard of this feature of planaria which is honestly quite fascinating. They are very resilient (unfortunately for our sake). AFAIK, when I suck them up with my tub line, I'm not cutting them into pieces and am sucking them up whole. I can end up with over a hundred planaria all moving around in the bucket when I do it. 

• Sad 1

On 6/24/2022 at 9:28 AM, Guppysnail said:

I can’t help with chemicals but might be able to shed some light on why vacuuming doesn’t really help.  Planarians are amazing creatures when it comes to division and regeneration.  You can cut it in several pieces and end up with several planarians. So as the vac moves about the substrate it chops them up and always leaves some pieces behind capable of regeneration.  So you may have 1 and suck up 2 pieces three pieces may be left behind and you end up with 3 planarians vs the original one. So cutting back food and sucking up debris definitely helps control how fast they reproduce it really doesn’t do much for numbers reduction in the immediate term. 
Not helpful but hopefully informative.  

Ya know.... I have an entire grow out for planaria. I wonder how much better of a microscope I need to get to show/record the Reverse Osmosis?🧐

• Like 1

I've personally have had good luck using no-planaria without any negative impact to my livestock or plants. I use in my plant quarantine tank for whenever planaria hitch a ride on new plants I've purchased. I personally run an airstone during any sort of treatment or medication as precaution, but YMMV. Hopefully others can chime in with their personal experience. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2022 at 2:47 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I wish! He comes up to them and is very curious, but does not know what to do with them. I swear the planaria do the Can-Can in front of him as entertainment! 🤣

Well, he's not a very murderous little murder bean, now is he? Hopefully he figures it out! 

I've used traps with pretty good success.  I just didn't like the idea of putting anything in the water to kill them.  Plus I have snails, and didn't want to hurt them.  The traps are cheap, and work pretty well to seriously cut down the population. 

I have shrimp only tanks and have had to use No Planeria.  I never saw an affect on the shrimp but the planeria did disappear. You may need several treatments especially with a tank that large.  Also I would manage expectations of ever removing them totally without a total vac and turn over of the substrate with meds.

I hope this helps.  Tedrock

Edited by Tedrock