Late Night Forums Party - Inquire Within

nabokovfan87

Someone gives you a 75G tank, you can decorate it with pretty much anything and stock it with anything.

1. Do you currently or have you previously had a 75G aquarium?
2. If you were in the situation above, what would be the tank you'd lean towards trying to setup?

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

1. I have a 75G sitting in the hallway, it's very sad.  The fish miss their tank.
2.  I really loved the setup I had for my tigerbarb swarm tank (25+ TBs).  I had a variety of iterations of the tank, but I think what I miss most is just having a lot of space that the 75G provides. I would love to have a Iwagumi or Dutch style aquascape which gives me added bioload filtration but maximizes the space.  Ultimately..... I would enjoy having a massive blackwater tank. Only barbs, the blackwater gives them a feeling of being lower light and they are just these little feisty fish below the surface zooming around through all of the wood in the tank.  I *wish* that I could have some nice pieces of manzanita to use.  One day...

• Like 1

This is exactly what happened with my angelfish tank.  I was going to switch my 46 G bowfront from plant holding to angelfish.  Friends gave me a 100 gallon, and here I am.  The 2 x 100 G tanks are my biggest, for sure.

If, after I have my fish room all set up, and someone were to give me, say, a 125 or 150 G, I would buy a group of gold nuggets, L177’s, and set up a fast flow, riverine tank with 3, double stacked, ACO sponge filters but upside down, run by power heads, with across the bottom pipes and power heads on the opposite end, with outflows at a couple levels.  I might also put an UGF in the tank and run it on a powerhead with the powerhead on the same end as the other 2 or 3 powerheads.  I would have matten sponge as the substrate over the UGF as massive filtration.  Pipes from the ACO sponge filters to the powerheads would have to run in channels cut into the bottom of the matten filter.  Piled up river rocks, and big and small pebbles, on the matten filter.  At least 1-2 spray bars coming from some sort of pump, but I haven’t yet decided if I would have a canister filter on the tank to run the spray bar(s) or use one of the powerheads.

I might also stock it with hillstream loaches. I would only need enough light to grow some algae or moss, maybe a few select plants.  I haven’t gotten far enough with my reading to pick plants, yet, or to figure out how to grow algae in a fast moving stream.  Likely need to have the sponge filter powerheads on a rheostat except the UGF powerhead, that would always run.  Maybe that one could go to the spray bar(s) so there would always be good oxygenation.

• Like 2

I have a 75: UGF, powerheads (2), a HOB, a stock light, and white pea gravel. 2 plastic plants, and a 9" piece of red lava rock help hide the plumbing and provide a focal point.  I have a clique of 4 TFBs that will consume any plant material that they can drag through the fish fence.

If someone made me that offer, I would not know where to start.  My first thoughts run towards something I would not normally do, but always wanted to try: an Avatar styled tank, with the sand waterfall that @ChargerstoLAmentioned.  Shrimp and tetras would be the principle occupants. In a tank that size the shrimp might be safe with a pair of Moonlight Gourami cruising over head..  

• Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 8:56 AM, Tanked said:

I have a 75: UGF, powerheads (2), a HOB, a stock light, and white pea gravel. 2 plastic plants, and a 9" piece of red lava rock help hide the plumbing and provide a focal point.  I have a clique of 4 TFBs that will consume any plant material that they can drag through the fish fence.

If someone made me that offer, I would not know where to start.  My first thoughts run towards something I would not normally do, but always wanted to try: an Avatar styled tank, with the sand waterfall that @ChargerstoLAmentioned.  Shrimp and tetras would be the principle occupants. In a tank that size the shrimp might be safe with a pair of Moonlight Gourami cruising over head..  

Maybe you would need a school of marble hatchets to look kind of like the ikran.  Closest fish I can think of that wouldn’t eat your other fish (like a butterfly fish likely would).

• Like 3

Couple ideas :

1) I would do Chindongo saulosi Maybe start with 12 and let them breed out with a large school of Synodontis petricola. 

2) Good size for discus with diamond tetras,  sterbai corys and Medusa ancistrus plecos. Would work well with a black water setup and all are hot tolerant.

3) Southeast Asian tank with red eye red tail puffers, rombo barbs, maybe pork chops or harlequins and loaches- dwarf chain or zebra loaches. 

Despite being daunting you’re doing my favorite part - the research the day dreaming the talking it over! 

• Like 3

On 6/11/2022 at 12:45 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Despite being daunting you’re doing my favorite part - the research the day dreaming the talking it over! 

Same! So now I'm following, bc I think 75 might be the next jump in size I make. Not any time soon, but there are larger tanks in my future... 

I love nano fish, so I'd probably just do a huge set up for small fish 🤷 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 5:01 PM, Anjum said:

Same! So now I'm following, bc I think 75 might be the next jump in size I make. Not any time soon, but there are larger tanks in my future... 

I love nano fish, so I'd probably just do a huge set up for small fish 🤷 

Lol this is always where my mind goes too for tanks this size. I don't so much get into larger fish so I either think one huge school or just a larger scale of what I already have. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 12:10 PM, Odd Duck said:

Maybe you would need a school of marble hatchets to look kind of like the ikran.  Closest fish I can think of that wouldn’t eat your other fish (like a butterfly fish likely would).

Perfect example of why I would not know where to start.  I could go with the hatchets.  There are so any fish that I've never seen or heard of.  Appearance wise I think Royal Farlowella would be a good stand in for the Ikran.  All I have to do is figure out how to get them to school.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 9:55 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I either think one huge school or just a larger scale of what I already have. 

Oooh yes a huge school! I could see a somewhat minimalist scape with a huge school of nano fish. Like a total slice outta a real waterway, with large hardscape. Not at all my style (I tend towards the collector/hoarder type & a total jungle of plants). But that would be a really cool look. 

On 6/12/2022 at 8:17 AM, Tanked said:

Perfect example of why I would not know where to start.  I could go with the hatchets.  There are so any fish that I've never seen or heard of.  Appearance wise I think Royal Farlowella would be a good stand in for the Ikran.  All I have to do is figure out how to get them to school.

Farlowellas are bottom fish and hide extremely well.  Hatchets are top water, shoaling fish, which would give the impression of flyers.  I’d recommend the spotfin hatchets like I found since they are bigger, bolder personality, and also spend time swimming lower in the tank than most other hatchets, but they are more expensive and very hard to find.  I’ve been looking for more for months now with no luck.

Edited by Odd Duck
Add more info about hatchets
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you could have one fish added to your tank tomorrow, without any issues, why would you choose the one you chose?

It'll sound weird, but either a rubberlip or a horde of otos to my tank.  I have some in there now, but they could use some friends. I just want something to clean a little bit of the glass and to help out with some of the other surfaces in the tank.

Twist my arm and make me choose something else.... Some really nice white clouds.  They are small, eat the foods I feed, would do well because my tanks only have bottom feeding fish, and I would have something to eat food at the top of the tank.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 2:09 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you could have one fish added to your tank tomorrow, without any issues, why would you choose the one you chose?

It'll sound weird, but either a rubberlip or a horde of otos to my tank.  I have some in there now, but they could use some friends. I just want something to clean a little bit of the glass and to help out with some of the other surfaces in the tank.

Twist my arm and make me choose something else.... Some really nice white clouds.  They are small, eat the foods I feed, would do well because my tanks only have bottom feeding fish, and I would have something to eat food at the top of the tank.

Moonlight Gourami.  One of my adoptees should have some friends to hangout with, and 3 or four MGs would make a good addition to the 65 tall.

Second choice: Tiger Barbs.  Same reasons.  I purchased a single Tiger Barb for the same reasons. The older fish died.  Now, the little guy is going nuts!