@Guppysnail i know you have other snails now but hope you keep your beautiful magenta mystery snails going i love seeing and reading about them  and watching your  babies grow

I love mine i appreciate the ones you sent me if i had more tank room would love to try to hatch 1 egg clutch  but am afraid i could not find homes for them i pulled 1 egg clutch out from my older 3 snail but had 1 clutch from the magenta too 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 12:40 PM, Bev C said:

@Guppysnail i know you have other snails now but hope you keep your beautiful magenta mystery snails going i love seeing and reading about them  and watching your  babies grow

I love mine i appreciate the ones you sent me if i had more tank room would love to try to hatch 1 egg clutch  but am afraid i could not find homes for them i pulled 1 egg clutch out from my older 3 snail but had 1 clutch from the magenta too 

I’m keeping them just in separate tanks. I would love to always have babies and watch them grow. Having to many critters breeding at once turns to work and less time to learn about and enjoy each. I’m certain somewhere in the future I will hatch another clutch maybe not from this group but at some point. Working with livebearing snails and snails who hatch babies underwater a few at a time lessens my work and involvement so increase my time just enjoying for now. 
If you are willing to ship there are many folks on here that wish to have magentas. I’m certain they would be no trouble to home. Possibly post a topic asking in advance of hatching so you feel more comfortable of folks wanting to adopt them. 

• Love 1

@Guppysnail Glad to hear you will keep them in your tanks i know exactly how a hobby that you enjoy can led into a job i use to  do websites , blogs , and web graphics and  photo repair/ old photo restore   for  fun

now i do it if i need extra money after retiring for people or for my local city office  (the mayor ask me to restore some old photos of our town)  I I still do photo repair and graphics and websites and blogs  for  close family and friends  for free though 

That is good to know there is people wanting the magentas would love to try 1 batch of snail eggs  ,, i know the LFS wants my extra shrimp if i get any

I think i am enjoying my snails way to much 😂  If i get brave to try it i could take my quarantine 20 gallon and try maybe one time  with the eggs it if i can find homes for them I just can not keep them  for good

the magentas are beautiful babies though 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:30 PM, Bev C said:

I think i am enjoying my snails way to much 😂  If i get brave to try it i could take my quarantine 20 gallon and try maybe one time  with the eggs it if i can find homes for them I just can not keep them  for good

There is app called Nextdoor. It’s just a way for people to connect with other in their community and the surrounding neighborhoods. When I raised the gold snails, I put a post on there that snails were available. I then began to get messages from hobbyists near me. I did screen people to make sure their tanks were cycled and I gave out care sheets with cuttlebone and food.

On 10/7/2022 at 2:30 PM, Bev C said:

They sure are. I will hatch some once my schedule frees up. I want to make sure I’m available so they get the care they deserve.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

This is a hack I suppose. I like to offer calcium chips but one sits in the tank too long- maybe not now since more snails but I will see how long it takes for a half to get consumed.

I use a pill cutter to split them.

Looks like someone is enjoying one already. 

15E9537A-F762-4DFB-920D-FBECC869279A.jpeg

7B945E08-2EB3-4B2E-B0FA-42CFA41EAA4A.jpeg

8D9EDD9C-F4B9-46AC-850F-4327763310FE.jpeg

EDDD0FE8-9D9A-4891-BA89-8CB076233671.jpeg

If anyone wants a pack of calcium chips let me know. I bought a pack and then when I bought the snail food kit later another pack came with it. So I have one pack completely unopened. Ingredients: calcium carbonate, spirulina, gelatin(binder).

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Well folks. We actually have a new way to feed snails. Everyone got green beans and calcium chips, but then when I fed Xtreme Krill to the fish, all the snails came up to try to catch some from the water’s surface. I hand fed the three snails I could reach. It’s so fun to hand feed them flakes and they slurp it up. But then… I had an idea. Paste flakes to the wall. Do they figure it out? Let’s watch and see.

• Love 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:00 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I see, I see…. Would it be possible to interbreed say magenta and yellow?🙃

Yes. Mystery snails are like humans. All humans just different colors. 

I must note if I could have just laid eggs I may have BRIEFLY  entertained having human child. 🤣

• Love 1

On 10/8/2022 at 9:30 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea, I love your journal !

Quick question: Are mystery snails asexual?

Thank you!

Often people believe they are asexual because females can mate (say, in the pet store) and then hold onto the fertilized eggs and lay those for MONTHS and they will be viable. In fact, my mystery snail eggs were found at a time when I had only one snail, and that is how I got my babies. I sure got my money’s worth, buying that one snail. 😂

On 10/8/2022 at 11:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

Yes. Mystery snails are like humans. All humans just different colors. 

I must note if I could have just laid eggs I may have BRIEFLY  entertained having human child. 🤣

I am with you there @Guppysnail. The whole human birthing process looks super painful and terrifying. I’m ok with just hatching some snails and taking care of cats, neither of which require a college fund. 😅 (For any moms reading this, THANK YOU for keeping the human civilization going. ❤️)

• Love 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:33 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

With what? Wet cat food?

That would be frowned upon, but when they're young enough they'd probably attempt it on their own. Or when they're silly teenagers. I could see my brother having tried that as a teen.

• Haha 2

On 10/8/2022 at 11:39 AM, Katherine said:

That would be frowned upon, but when they're young enough they'd probably attempt it on their own. Or when they're silly teenagers. I could see my brother having tried that as a teen.

I tricked my friend into thinking I ate an earthworm once. I tilted my head back and opened my mouth and then put the worm down the other side of my face, the side away from my friend. Then I pretended I was chewing. To this day she still thinks I ate the worm.

• Haha 2

On 10/8/2022 at 5:49 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I tricked my friend into thinking I ate an earthworm once. I tilted my head back and opened my mouth and then put the worm down the other side of my face, the side away from my friend. Then I pretended I was chewing. To this day she still thinks I ate the worm.

Nice one!!!

When I was still young (and beautiful 🙃) I pushed a friend out of a window… into 3 mètres of fresh powder snow! It took us half an hour to get him out with a rope and a snow shovel!

On 10/8/2022 at 5:51 PM, Katherine said:

So... Any plans to try wet cat food? Lol

Only if I’m on one of @Corys Peru trips and the boat gets stuck!

• Haha 1