How can I improve my tanks?

Liz hughes

• Administrators

I try to remove/hide equipment. Things like thermometers, don't have to stay in all the time, The airline tubing could be changed to black. Getting plants to grow taller to cover filter intakes/returns. I also like having light at the front of my tanks, which is harder with a bow front, but it gets rid of the fish shadow when fish are right up front, instead they are nice and bright.

The amazon sword will grow large enough. I am not sure how to work in either horizontal or diagonal features, but they will add a little variety to break up the straight up and down of the plants. I like the way jungle vallisneria streams across the top of the tank but choices like that are very personal. Not everyone would like that and it will block some light.

9 hours ago, Liz hughes said:

Hey, I’m new to fish keeping only been at it for a few months how can I make my tanks look better? 

Liz, it looks like you've got a good start, your plants look healthy, and you're trying. Trying is better than doing nothing. 🙂

From a design perspective try to visually breakup your space following one of these compositional ideas. Most people look at the graphic and only consider the view from the front, but this same graphic can be used as an aid for an overhead view as well. So when you are laying out your plants and other elements, think of them in terms of foreground, middle-ground, and background. Creating visual depth in an aquarium will add interest. 🙃

composition.jpg

I almost busted at the sign in your tank lol.

It has been my thought that if you have a bubbler in the corner moving water anyways that the heater can go there vertically and the flow created by the bubbbler will prevent hot spots throwing off the heaters thermostat. Has worked for me. Then the heater is sort of out of the way.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, MickS77 said:

I would just let it grow in, is there anything you aren't happy with?

I’m new and I just can’t believe it’s this easy that my tanks look Good and there is nothing left to learn. So I just want to know what others would do? Growing in for sure tho. By learn I mean about my plants and tank set up. I feel the fish themselves will never stop teaching me  

• 1 month later...