On 5/25/2022 at 9:41 PM, Sphynxfish81 said:

I planted my 75 in December, I have put root tabs in every two months, also use easy green. I have a Fluval plant light.  My crypts are pathetic and I can’t figure out why, any advice? 

Please give us some water parameters, type of crypt, lighting pattern (total time, any siesta, etc), pictures, temps, tank depth, tank inhabitants, etc, so we might have a chance of giving intelligent answers.  Otherwise it’s a pure guessing game.

Nitrate 30-40

nitrite 0 

ph 7.2

chlorine 0

hard water 

they are crypt wendtii, I have harlequin rasboras, two Plecos, Odessa barbs, cherry barbs, and black mollies.  I have moved my light to the front of the tank and back  it doesn’t make a difference  

7D45DC23-FB2B-4B6C-B0B4-96A844BC7434.png

Edited by Sphynxfish81

On 5/25/2022 at 9:41 PM, Sphynxfish81 said:

I planted my 75 in December, I have put root tabs in every two months, also use easy green. I have a Fluval plant light.  My crypts are pathetic and I can’t figure out why, any advice? 

How long have you had your crypts?  Do you have pictures?  

my crypts seam to do nothing then I turn around, boom, they are ginormous. 

I think higher nitrates might cause some of that curling?  I’m not sure how high it has to be to cause curling.  Try to keep your nitrates in the 10-20 range and see what that does.

I would probably remove the worst and oldest of the curled leaves since they aren’t going to recover.  This will allow more nutrients to the younger leaves.  Your younger leaves look OK.  Make sure they aren’t too shadowed by your wood piece, maybe slide the light just a little bit more forward.

• Like 1

Hi @Sphynxfish81

Nitrate 30-40

nitrite 0 

ph 7.2

chlorine 0

hard water 

I live in Renton (Fairwood) and Kent has several water districts.  Does your water come from the Soos Creek District?  If so then the comment about "hard water" is incorrect.  The Soos Creek water typically has a carbonate hardness (dKH) of 1 - 2 dKH and a general hardness of less than 3.0 dGH..........it is extremely soft.  So soft as a matter of fact that I have to add calcium and magnesium to my water when I do water changes.  Your substrate looks to be inert so unless you have some stones containing limestone in your tank

Now the Lake Meridian Water District does have four (4) wells so the water may be harder.  If you haven't checked your dKH and dGH I would suggest you do so you may learn your water isn't as 'hard' as you think it is.  The water source for your tank does not go through a water softener does it?

It is possible to grow nice Crypts in NW water.  -Roy
292854795_2015-06-2430Gallon001CroppedAdjSnSm.JPG.692b886fe23e6b34cb2760a93e22baa1.JPG

• Like 4

On 5/25/2022 at 8:52 PM, Sphynxfish81 said:

7D45DC23-FB2B-4B6C-B0B4-96A844BC7434.png

It looks like you're using the default setting for the light. Be sure to head to the info/schedule thread and check out the tips and advice. Bentley also has a ton of useful videos on the planted 3.0 lights.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:28 PM, Odd Duck said:

Make sure they aren’t too shadowed by your wood piece, maybe slide the light just a little bit more forward.

This was my first assumption when seeing the photo.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, Nuggets Beard said:

I have that same light and am growing crypts successfully.  That light is extremely powerful.  You need to dial the intensity way, way down.  Reduce all wavelengths to no more than 30%.  Give it some time and your crypts should respond well.

Can you screen shot you settings for me so I can make them the same as yours?  Thank you 😊 

Edited by Sphynxfish81

Are the plants growing new leaves that then start to die, or is it mostly old growth that just not thriving? I think I can see some new growth in the pic. It might work to trim the old, sick leaves and let the plant puts it’s energy into new leaves. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see clearly from the pictures provided, but make sure that you haven't buried the rosette, otherwise that might cause the plant to suffer. Crypts don't need a lot of light, so I doubt lighting is the issue.

I do not have the Fluval light I have the Finnex   but it looks like the light setting.  is to high For crypts  My Crypts looked like you’d … I had to lower my light to 25-30 intensity until  i got more plants. the crypts did well around  that %   when i got more plants all  my plants are doing well 50 %  for 6 -7 hours

the 50%  with no Co2 for that long works best for me  besides the light i had to check my water from the tap  my water from tab is awful I I have to pretreat my water. before adding to tank   best wishes 

• Like 1