Can you or have you used Miracle Grow soil in your tanks?

sweetpoison

@sweetpoison, there are some of us on the forum who run organic soil tanks. There is not a fixed recipe, but I recommend reading Diana Walstad for some good information.

If you choose Miracle Gro, just make sure to get the organic formula, and nothing with Pearlite, or anything for ‘moisture retention’. I found a local composter where I can get soil for a dollar per scoop.

I prefer a gravel cap over sand. Plant heavily from the start.

This tank is the normal bag miracle grow potting mix. I did sift it however to get the big ol chunks and stuff out, then capped with sand and gravel. I think it’s the reason that sword is so healthy. No real difference in anything else though. There’s probably 1/8-1/4in 

86982F09-1072-4F17-B89A-3277582CF4EF.jpeg

• Like 1

I ran MGOPS in three tanks over the years. Attempted it first in a 10 gallon, and once I knew what I was getting into I experimented more with 2 gallon and a 7 gallon. All tanks had a layer of sand around the edges keep the MGOPS out of sight and then a latterite base, MGOPS mid layer with a sand cap. Be sure to run your soil through some mesh to get out large solids like sticks or pieces of wood. When using MGOPS, you need to make sure your planting locations are going to be fairly permenant. Pulling rooted plants out of this setup isn't a clean process... I've seen some people completely mow plants out right below the substrate line just to not have to uproot them to remove them.

• Love 1

Like others have mentioned make sure the soil doesn't have any time release fertilizer (tiny green balls in Miracle Grow). And make sure to cap it off with a thick later of gravel of some sort. I made the mistake of not using enough gravel to cap off the soil and it was a disaster. Soil floating on top and all that 😁

On 5/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, Patrick_G said:

@Littecitygreen, that looks really nice. I know hexagon tanks have some drawbacks but I really like them. This one looks like a perfect Betta tank. 

He sure seems to enjoy it FAR more than the 5 gallon on my night stand. The only draw back as he sees it is the current runs in a kind of swirl so I just had to throw that little heart thing in the bottom temporarily to block the water movement for him. Black neons that are hiding love the current though haha