It happened again....

nabokovfan87

On 5/14/2022 at 6:15 PM, Zenzo said:

Squish it. Then it will be fertilizer. 

Yep! I wouldn't mind getting some zebra loaches either!  The issue I had last time was I had dragonstone in the tank and it was a massive piece, tall, and it had some deep holes for them to hide. No matter what I did they came back stronger than I could manage.

It'll work out. Just wasn't what I expected to see in their. I legitimately did a double take and just stood there for a minute.

• Haha 4

The assassin snails don't breed like the pest snails, are much bigger, easier to pull out, and have some money / trade value. They also look pretty cool.

The main thing though is that those small guys will die off naturally if there isn't enough food. Cory loves them actually because they do serve as a cleanup crew, but if their numbers are out of control you probably need to cut back on food.

https://youtu.be/e1SXvU95Ty8

Edited by Mikeg
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 7:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Well, I know it's entirely my fault and I know the co-op plants have a risk.  Ya got me again Cory. 😂

I hope it doesn't get out of hand, but let's just say I really don't want to have these guys in the tank.  It is what it is.

20220514_175146.JPG

awwww!!!! So cute!!!!

I like keeping them around and looking for random color morphs that show up. If you really can't stand them, dip your plants in an alum bath (see Irene's GirlTalksFish channel for the ratio of alum to time in dip). Then rinse the plants so the alum doesn't make it to your tank.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 10:36 PM, Torrey said:

I like keeping them around and looking for random color morphs that show up. If you really can't stand them, dip your plants in an alum bath (see Irene's GirlTalksFish channel for the ratio of alum to time in dip). Then rinse the plants so the alum doesn't make it to your tank.

I'll tolerate it, but just don't want to have that dead snail smell overtake my room / tank.

I have cupramine on hand, might have to use that for a soak and like you said, I'll end up looking at other guides and Irene's guide as well. I totally have seen hers before and just didn't follow it.  I was really struggling to keep the plants alive and wanted them to convert in the tank a bit before I unpacked them.  I am guessing it came in via the basket.  First time I've done it that way.  Usually I manually inspect it and stuff. 

Oh whale.

On 5/15/2022 at 12:02 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'll tolerate it, but just don't want to have that dead snail smell overtake my room / tank.

I have cupramine on hand, might have to use that for a soak and like you said, I'll end up looking at other guides and Irene's guide as well. I totally have seen hers before and just didn't follow it.  I was really struggling to keep the plants alive and wanted them to convert in the tank a bit before I unpacked them.  I am guessing it came in via the basket.  First time I've done it that way.  Usually I manually inspect it and stuff. 

Oh whale.

I have never had dead snail smell, except when I didn't notice a snail in my plant bucket after a massive trim and had a flare due to overdoing it.

So now I keep water in the plant trim bucket until I have a chance to inspect everything and either feed my assassins the culls, or return the color morphs to their respective tanks.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Then I have to figure out how to get rid of assassin snails, right?

they are easy, dont breed fast, and are just big enough to easily be taken out of a tank if you no longer want them. assassins are the snail to have if you dont like pest snails.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:12 AM, Torrey said:

I have never had dead snail smell, except when I didn't notice a snail in my plant bucket after a massive trim and had a flare due to overdoing it.

So now I keep water in the plant trim bucket until I have a chance to inspect everything and either feed my assassins the culls, or return the color morphs to their respective tanks.

I've only had that in my duckweed container that has tank water in it, but sometimes I'll have a die off before the next chicken feeding. Not pleasant! 

• Like 1

Almost(I mean all) all plants have the chance of of snails. If some place says their plants have no snails and you get snails. Try to get your money back. Remember there plants have no snails so you didn’t get snails from there plant. I have tried three times.

• 2 months later...

I'm guessing this isn't from the one in the OP.....  Found this today.  And yes, I've looked for them and keep an eye out, haven't found any since.  It very well could've come in on an old rock that's been out of a tank for a few years but it's more likely it came in off a plant or something.

"Fun"

20220728_135539.JPG.8438d84e570eabce0a4c00cdabdc32a8.JPG20220728_135450.JPG.2f6e3eea90ed6cf8c20af0850b12fbb9.JPG20220728_135442.JPG.40aea3ed404fbded376a92c391decb2c.JPG

@nabokovfan87 It happened to  me to not  from  ACO  but  from another shop  I think they are rams horn   I always do the Alum dip and quarantine 2 weeks before adding them,  looks like I need to start  quarantine for  3 weeks insteadof 2 to  be sure there are no eggs.  I have one main tank I would not mind a few if they did not multiple  I only feed every other day, so I know I am not over feeding I check once a day in the sand for them and pick them out  .. If I check  once a day, I can manage it better I am

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, Brandon p said:

They are bladder snails. They are bad snails. They don’t eat like plants but that’s a personal choice.

Yeah, I think it's a different type than the OP, shell looked slightly different.  Just means that I have to keep an eye out again, which is never fun! First a snail, now worms, now another snail. LOL.  I just want moss and plants to grow!