Jump to content

BacterAE for Beginners


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Happy Tuesday Nerms! 

I'm suddenly and unexpectedly finding myself with a bunch of shrimplets so I did some late night research and kind of impulse purchased (as we do) BacterAE for them. My understanding is that it's not necessarily for beginners, which I very much am. 🤦 So, my amazing advanced aquarists, give me a crash course in the stuff. Dos, don'ts, dosing amount, frequency, best way to administer, feeding schedule combined with other foods ...

It's a year old 5 gallon very heavily planted tank with nine Neos, a few bladder and ramshorn snails and what seems like quite a few shrimplets.

For the adults, current feeding schedule is a very small amount of a mix of Dennerle Shrimp King Color and Hikari Algae Wafers every two to three days. Hikari Shrimp Cuisine is also on the way. Also thinking of getting Shrimp King Complete but don't know if that's overkill? 

 

Edited by Jennifer V
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crash course…it yucks up a tank FAST and clouds water. Do NOT dose in direction amounts.  Maybe an 1/8 of the recommended amount unless you have a booming colony in the hundreds maybe more as I did have hundreds in one tank used 1/4 dose and still cloudy and biofilm covered tank.  I know biofilm is intended goal but I want a mid ground with nice aesthetics and healthy shrimp.  I actually like glassgarten baby shrimp better.   CONGRATULATIONS 🎉🎊🍾 on the shrimplettes. 

Oh and overkill…nah…it’s part of the fun finding what they like. They do not consume a ton so feed but lightly. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 7:04 AM, Guppysnail said:

Crash course…it yucks up a tank FAST and clouds water. Do NOT dose in direction amounts.  Maybe an 1/8 of the recommended amount unless you have a booming colony in the hundreds maybe more as I did have hundreds in one tank used 1/4 dose and still cloudy and biofilm covered tank.  I know biofilm is intended goal but I want a mid ground with nice aesthetics and healthy shrimp.  I actually like glassgarten baby shrimp better.   CONGRATULATIONS 🎉🎊🍾 on the shrimplettes. 

Oh and overkill…nah…it’s part of the fun finding what they like. They do not consume a ton so feed but lightly. 

I did read that the recommended amount is waaaay too much. I'm thinking if I do 1/4 of an 1/8 tsp measurement a couple times a week then I'll be safe. I cannot for the life of me figure out that math. Ha! I'm much more the creative side of the brain. Should a get a tiny gram scale? 

And yay! I love buying food so I think I'll get the Complete as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I generally feed 1/3 of the provided scoop in a 20L for shrimp colonies and even in bare new tanks to get the biofilm going. I've never had long term cloudiness or any issues with using the product. 

Being a smaller tank I would get the smallest bit of the product on the non scoop side of the spoon and add it to the tank in the highest flow area. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 7:25 AM, Tihshho said:

I generally feed 1/3 of the provided scoop in a 20L for shrimp colonies and even in bare new tanks to get the biofilm going. I've never had long term cloudiness or any issues with using the product. 

Being a smaller tank I would get the smallest bit of the product on the non scoop side of the spoon and add it to the tank in the highest flow area. 

That's a great idea! Here I am with a scale all queued up in my cart when I don't need it. 

So it's not necessary to mix it with tank water and add it? I can just sprinkle in the tank directly? 

On 5/3/2022 at 7:29 AM, laritheloud said:

What everyone else said! In a 10 gallon tank I use only a tiny fraction of the scoop (not even half a scoop). Use your best judgment. It isn't really an exact science. Put in the equivalent of a generous pinch and dunk it into the flow, let it disperse. It'll look a little cloudy at first then clear as it sinks and settles.

How often do you use it? 

On 5/3/2022 at 7:25 AM, Guppysnail said:

No I just use the scoop it comes with and fill it about 1/8 full.  It does not need exact measure. 

How can I tell if I've dosed too much? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 9:44 AM, Jennifer V said:

So it's not necessary to mix it with tank water and add it? I can just sprinkle in the tank directly? 

How often do you use it? 

1 - You can add it directly to the tank. I've also mixed it up in a small glass with tank water and introduced it to the tank. It all really depends on your workflow. Mixing it with tank water to disperse it wouldn't be a bad way to start getting the biofilm going and then down the line (long term) dosing directly to the tank would be the shift I would go with.

2 - I use this very rarely now as established tanks generate biofilm from other means. Initially, I was using this product at most weekly post water change. Now I'm at the point I add it in every 3-4 months. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 8:05 AM, laritheloud said:

At first I added it once a week, but now I just do it very occasionally. Diminishing returns with the product the more seasoned your tank becomes.

Oh no! That makes me wonder if I even need it. I let my tank get good and gunky for a year before I introduced them to it six weeks ago and it's packed *full* of plants and driftwood. Should I return it? 

@Tihshho what do you think? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 9:20 AM, Jennifer V said:

I did read that the recommended amount is waaaay too much. I'm thinking if I do 1/4 of an 1/8 tsp measurement a couple times a week then I'll be safe. I cannot for the life of me figure out that math. Ha! I'm much more the creative side of the brain. Should a get a tiny gram scale? 

And yay! I love buying food so I think I'll get the Complete as well. 

Everyone should have these measuring spoons, if only for the novelty.

Measuring Spoons Set, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, Mini Measuring Spoon for Cooking Baking, Tablespoon Teaspoon for Dry or Liquid Ingredients, Fits in Spice Jar,set of 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091SW8BD5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_R95J0M0Y3N2G7P9W2RYV

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 3:38 PM, Widgets said:

Everyone should have these measuring spoons, if only for the novelty.

Measuring Spoons Set, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, Mini Measuring Spoon for Cooking Baking, Tablespoon Teaspoon for Dry or Liquid Ingredients, Fits in Spice Jar,set of 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091SW8BD5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_R95J0M0Y3N2G7P9W2RYV

Amazing! Thank you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 5:51 AM, Jennifer V said:

I'm suddenly and unexpectedly finding myself with a bunch of shrimplets so I did some late night research and kind of impulse purchased (as we do) BacterAE for them. My understanding is that it's not necessarily for beginners, which I very much am. 🤦 So, my amazing advanced aquarists, give me a crash course in the stuff. Dos, don'ts, dosing amount, frequency, best way to administer, feeding schedule combined with other foods ...

Just a heads up, you can also feed repashy without turning into a gel as a fry food. There is some varieties for shrimp...

Repashy Bottom Scratcher

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bacter AE use it in the first 3-6 months of a setup more in the first 6 less in the last 6-12 weeks. My goal with a shrimp tank is walls covered in algae, plants, hardscape especially wood covered in biofilm. You want to see shrimp that are active, molting, and berried. Sluggish shrimp are from bad water parameters, going too long between molts, and not enough food. This is for Neocaridina. There are alternatives I agree with @Guppysnailand the others. Many shrimp breeders are getting away from this and just feeding more high protein foods like fish flakes as the algaes and biofilms are really receptive to these foods. They can replenish your tank a little faster than products like Bacter and less pollution of the tank which many people complain about with Bacter. Best of luck with your shrimps they are amazing little creature! Have fun!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 3:33 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Bacter AE use it in the first 3-6 months of a setup more in the first 6 less in the last 6-12 weeks. My goal with a shrimp tank is walls covered in algae, plants, hardscape especially wood covered in biofilm. You want to see shrimp that are active, molting, and berried. Sluggish shrimp are from bad water parameters, going too long between molts, and not enough food. This is for Neocaridina. There are alternatives I agree with @Guppysnailand the others. Many shrimp breeders are getting away from this and just feeding more high protein foods like fish flakes as the algaes and biofilms are really receptive to these foods. They can replenish your tank a little faster than products like Bacter and less pollution of the tank which many people complain about with Bacter. Best of luck with your shrimps they are amazing little creature! Have fun!

So do you just crush up high quality flake food for your Neos? 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:48 AM, Guppysnail said:

Another option is Hikari freeze dried tubifex worms.  I smash a cube on the front glass.  It sticks for quite some time.  My shrimp flock to it.  I get a different view of them feeding as well. 

Great idea! What's your feeding schedule for your shrimp? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I do not have one. All of my shrimp are in with fish.  I found out they ADORE frozen baby brine shrimp and tubifex when I fed them to my fish.  They also love the veggies I feed pleco and snails when the veggies get mushy.  They grab quality flake especially extreme krill and run with it.  North fin fry food they enjoy.  They flock to the repashy.  They like the extreme wafers too.  My shrimp are never at a loss for food.  Once a week I put in a touch of baby shrimp food (same maker as bacter ae) I also toss in a shrimp wafer or some other shrimp specific thing when I think about it.  Having them with fish eliminates so many problems of microfauna overpopulation that depletes shrimp natural food sources and they get tons of variety from what I feed my fish. I started my colonies with Celestial pearl danio juveniles and lemon BN plecos. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 5:51 AM, Guppysnail said:

I do not have one. All of my shrimp are in with fish.  I found out they ADORE frozen baby brine shrimp and tubifex when I fed them to my fish.  They also love the veggies I feed pleco and snails when the veggies get mushy.  They grab quality flake especially extreme krill and run with it.  North fin fry food they enjoy.  They flock to the repashy.  They like the extreme wafers too.  My shrimp are never at a loss for food.  Once a week I put in a touch of baby shrimp food (same maker as bacter ae) I also toss in a shrimp wafer or some other shrimp specific thing when I think about it.  Having them with fish eliminates so many problems of microfauna overpopulation that depletes shrimp natural food sources and they get tons of variety from what I feed my fish. I started my colonies with Celestial pearl danio juveniles and lemon BN plecos. 

Sounds like they have a lovely life and diet! Ok, I'll make sure mine have a varied diet and I'm sure they'll be fine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...